VFL - Round 1 vs. Geelong @ Grevious Bodily Harm Stadium (GMHBA) 2:05 PM Saturday 26 March 2022

Anything on Eyre and Brand?

The invisible men those two

Brand looks good. Iā€™m really keen to see how heā€™d fare in the AFL, probably still a way off though (I know his tank was an issue when drafted, not sure how far thatā€™s come). He looks promising.

Eyre unfortunately didnā€™t really see much of it, but he was playing forward for a team getting smashed.

In my mind Brand would be closer to a debut, which is actually the opposite of what I was thinking at this stage last year.

3 Likes

Reckon Atley can find his way onto an AFL list.

Nobody has mentioned something that was blindingly obvious to me about team style, and it also applies in the seniors to some extent.
Geelong noticeably flicked the ball around with handball, finding the extra man on the outside eventually, and always using the extra number around the ball where they could generate it. From there they would frequently get an unpressured kick and mostly put it out in front of a teammate leading up. While you canā€™t do it all the time, they did it every time they got the chance. And they hit the target a lot, especially considering VFL skills are less than AFL standard.
We, on the other hand, had a lot more hurried kicks, kicked to contests, and missed targets when we tried to place the ball.
Skills were in a different class.
As a list, I watch games at AFL level and see some of the same traits. I do see our seniors flick the ball around by hand to release a player, but all the other things above are evident when you compare our seniors to the good AFL teams as well.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: VFL - Round 2 vs Casey @ Casey, 3PM Sunday 3 April 2022

Not impressed with VFL or AFL. We look smaller and slower all over the ground.

1 Like

Our game plan is wrong - we want to move the ball slowly but the best teams are wanting to move the ball on at all costs and donā€™t ā€œprop and stopā€ every time they take a mark but turn and go and take the first available option.

3 Likes