VFL - Round 10 vs Coburg @ Windy Hill, 12pm Sunday 10 June 2018

2 goals, 19 disposals, 6 tackles and 100+ DT points.

Not bad for his first game of VFL; he is a 19 year old though

1 Like

First week there will be four finals and only two will be at Port.

We’re one ladder spot away from a home final.

3 Likes

What if the bowls club says no?

3 Likes

probably have to play football in that case.

1 Like

Ah yes of course, the top 2, a place we’ve never finished in my time at the club. Hopefully we get to cross that bridge.

6 Likes

Seems we may have found the reason for recent failures.

7 Likes

With a tough back nine to play after this week’s bye.

I can’t remember a time, since I’ve been paying attention to the VFL, where the team hasn’t been the exact opposite of our AFL team.

When our AFL team was a boring, slow, contested side with no forwards our VFL side was packed full of exciting wingers and forwards.

Recently it’s been the opposite, AFL has a forward line and our VFL side doesn’t.

Well it does, but it’s currently providing backup in the AFL team?

Playing golf shouldn’t affect us too much.

2 Likes

I’d argue the Daniher, Stewart and Mckernan are best 22 (since Hooker going back), Brown is a defender. After that who is developing as a KPF.

Our Small Forward depth consists of Houlahan. Begley and Laverde are Medium Forward-come-Midfielders. Long and Jerrett have never been allowed to settle in a position and probably won’t be on the list next year.

I think the point of the VFL team is to replicate the way the Seniors play, allowing fringe players and juniors to seamlessly transition into the AFL team. Confidence built on playing the same role in the 2’s.

Interesting that Nick Hind got a write up on the club website. A write-up like that sometimes precedes a promotion of some sort (eg promotion from VFL to AFL, or someone getting promoted off the rookie list). Nick’s not even on the rookie list, but is it conceivable that he could get a leg up? Long term injury to another player perhaps?

1 Like

A question for DJR or anyone else in attendance at the game on the weekend, was Long playing as a defensive forward?

I can’t recall him being talked about so much for tackling.

I like the idea of Long being developed in that defensive forward role.

wing for mine.

1 Like

He played wing or you think he’s a wing?

Played

Ok.

I got the impression he played forward.

he didn’t go deep enough to be a forward, seemed to mostly range from hbf to hff.

most of his tackles where when coburg were trying to counter attack.

1 Like

First half Long was nominally part of the forward six, but usually started on the back of the square for centre bounces and rarely got deep forward.

Second half he was on the wing.

3 Likes

He did most of his work on the wing all day. Colyer played forward.