VFL - Round 10 vs Coburg @ Windy Hill, 12pm Sunday 10 June 2018

Probably a question best asked on Coburgblitz.

6 Likes

The only thing that I can say about Coburg was “why did you kick there?”

Which was repeated by their fans a lot in the 2nd half.

There’s probably some other factors in play, but I can’t get my head around the VFL fixtures.

“How can we get more fans to VFL games?”

“Well, Essendon have an AFL bye so their fans would probably be keen to get along to a game that week. Might get a few thousand.”

“Nah, let’s give them a VFL bye that week too”.

Utterly stupid on the face of it.

8 Likes

Because at the time the draw was made our VFL off field structure was not complete, and so there was no one to fight for our draw. Will be a different proposition next year.

Happens every year though, 'Boot. Or it seems to. I’ve had the same bemusement regularly.

I do understand that the players have to have the mandatory byes per year.

Yeah, I think it’s an AFLPA directive. Though I haven’t checked if all clubs get this.

I thought this was discussed earlier in the year and it was suggested by some that the football department prefers the AFL and VFL to have a bye at the same time because it helps with player/fitness management

The backline wouldn’t be terrible st AFL level. IMO.

2 Likes

His name looks like how you would transcribe a sneeze

There’s a Coburgblitz!?

I’m just asking because he could be a good prospect for this year’s draft; he’s showing some good signs for Calder this year following a move into the midfield after missing out on last year’s draft as a key defender. Good tackler and clearance player who can go forward and kick goals. Good mates with Jack Bytel too.

I did find this note about his game on from Coburg’s write-up:

Luke Bunker won the ball from stoppage and drove it deep to Mitch Podhajski who marked unopposed in the goal square. He made no mistake with his set shot, then followed it with another goal just minutes later to give the Lions the lead. Podhajski also finished with a team high seven tackles in what was an impressive performance.

Not sure how the VFL system works, but doesn’t appear he’s signed with Coburg, but just played with them last week on loan from Coburg? (wait, don’t tell me, ask Coburgblitz?)

Definitely a lot of consonants in there, and you gotta squint to find the vowels.

There’s a “23rd player” rule that allows VFL teams to field a kid from the Tac Cup comp. These kids are allowed a maximum of three games at VFL level iirc.

We gave Stringer some games in his draft year under this system, including an Elim final.

That 1992 ressiez GF is available in full on YouTube and worth a look.
Have a look at that side…

7 Likes

Incidentally @Paul_Cousins, what would happen if we were to host a qualifying final in the VFL? Would we host it at Windy Hill or elsewhere?

Don’t mean to go to early, just wondered.

Didn’t his vfl form spring board him quite a way up the draft too?

I think all finals are at Port Melbourne

This.

Why is that?

My understanding is that it is a combination of things. They can control the ground quality, they know it will be available for finals, its easy to get to for the public, is a nice ground, they get good value from it and they can setup for all the finals rather than having to move TV/catering/other materials around between grounds.

2 Likes

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHIPS!!?!?!?

1 Like