VFL - Round 12 vs Box Hill Dorks @ Box Hill, 2.10pm Sunday 24th June 2018

Francis 22 possessions, 10 marks, 7 spoils, 3 rebound 50’s, 2 tackles

20 Likes

Not great

He didn’t play a key role today.
He had to share defensive duties with Ambrose, Hartley, Ridley & Zerk-Thatcher.

I think they pushed him abit higher up the ground today. He got a little bit lost on the wing.

Colyer 16 possessions

2 goals??

He uses his kicking much more in the VFL than he does in the AFL, which is a shame because he has a lovely long boot.

1 goal for Colyer

This has been a nice weekend: Thursday night win away against a flag favourite; Sunday arvo against a good team.

9 Likes

These were the games that past VFL teams would lose. This team has a slightly harder edge which is good to see. Have won 6 of the last 7.

5 Likes

Just about, …

3 Likes

LAV! 23 possies, … Did do well, … owe him that sealing goal too.

4 Likes

We play Casey next sat arvo, sitting 2nd on the ladder so a tough game coming up.

1 Like

Jayden Laverde - 23 possessions, 9 marks, 7 contested posessions, 6 tackles, 5 clearances, 1.1 goal

11 Likes

That’s a good day at the office

But he’s still a Spud, … right?? :thinking:

Good win, although felt odd as we were kept goalless in the first and third quarters. But a lot of that was a problem with converting I50 entries. The midfield always felt like it was breaking even or winning, and the defence was strong.

Defence
All were dominant and prominent (other than Ambrose). Francis, Hartley and Zerk were dominant in the air. McNiece, Ridley controlled their men and all of Francis, Ridley, Zerk, Hartley and McNiece gave plenty of rebound.

Francis and Ridley were the two best, shading Hartley. Zerk was good, but will be better next year with more experience and a bigger body.

Ambrose was unobtrusive but beat his man. McNiece made a few stuff ups.

Midfield
We were very strong inside, but also used it well outside. Draper was great in the ruck and getting it around the ground. Incredibly mobile. Right now though his disposal/decision making let him down. Hopefully that is experience, he could be something special. He and Draper were dominant in the ruck and around the ground. Leuy got two goals which was great.

Inside Hocking, Clarke, Mutch were very strong, Mynott did a bit. Outside Hind, Mutch, and Long were strong and Colyer added to their drive later in the game.

Forwards
Laverde was immense as a link between the arcs and up the ground. Unfortunately m he was a bit of a lone hand. Stewart was forgettable. Younan fought hard, and was a pass mark. Jerrett was rubbish, Houlihan pretty invisible. Colyer was ok when outside the forward line, but one amazing goal aside didn’t do too much inside F50. Leuy got two late.

I’d probably have my bests as Mutch, Laverde, Ridley, Hind and Francis. Clarke, Long and Hartley unlucky.

12 Likes

While I think our talent is fantastic. There is one player I think is the difference between this VFL team, and ones from the past.

Heath Hocking. His leadership is the difference. He is the former EFC vice-Captain. And probably unlucky not to have been captain imo.

20 Likes

He really stood up in the last. Was at his physical best.

3 Likes

There’s plebty of good vfl players playing in the vfl. Doesn’t mean they are AFL footballers

2 Likes

Yeah.
But.

I find Lav weird
Very good overhead
Super quick in a straight line.
Goes hard.
Attacking.
Good long kick

Then he goes up to the AFL and he generally fails to show any of that.
It’s IMO not like (2016-17 model) Langford, where he showed some of the good bits, and all of the bad bits. Lav just looks average in all facets playing AFL - and awesome at everything playing VFL.

I wonder whether Lav’s (repeated) injuries have just shattered his confidence to go 100%?? He’s had a rubbish run. I would be happy for them to hold him back in VFL.

6 Likes