VFL - Round 3 vs. Fark Carlton @ Windy Hill 12:05 PM Sunday 2 May 2021

I think this is the action that pinpointed our demise.

1 Like

Crocker is more 2 dollar shop i think

Both big outs, Baker has been imo in our best in all games, McClarty was a big out with no other ruckman available. I was critical of playing McBride in the ruck but this explains why and i accept my criticism was wrong. I love they way McBride is going given his limited exposure to the game. Who knows if he will make it but nothing will be left behind in his efforts.

3 Likes

66 photos at:

Watched the game at the ground. Josh Eyre just looks a bit of it at the moment. Looked to find it tough judging the ball in the air, dropped marks he should taken and just sort of lacked any confidence to demand the footy.

He seems to be a long term project

1 Like

Thanks Paul

Impressive you got two blokes who played the day before to play for us.
That on top of the injuries, they would have had to stay out there most of the match.

Also your notes from the sash podcast
VFL have the bye next week
Ambrose in Terrific nick ready to go if needed, hard to get a spot with Jones playing well at senior level.
Waterman turned a ankle but should be right if needed.

Nick O’Kearney 36 disposals and a goal - been at club 2 days. Former Stkilda rookie
Incredible pickup for us out of no where. may be a chance for mid season draft to reignite his AFL career.

Eyre - needs to add some weight to his frame, muscular build, plenty of ups(can jump), and marks ball at highest point. missed a lot of footy, just needs games, Also given how much he grew changing in short period and was moved position from defender to CHF, hasnt played many games at this height, plus rucked on weekend was new experience.
Athletically unbelievable talent, great endurance, may take a season or two at VFL level.

Brand - Lockdown defensive defender, explosive speed can go with quick forwards

Goodluck coaching basketball next week.

7 Likes

Eyre plays like he’s missed a whole year of footy.

You see glimpses, but seems a long way back.

We’ve also got a severely undermanned midfield group.

Wouldn’t think he’s getting the best of service or good amount of inside 50’s opportunity wise

1 Like

Hey @Finding_Nino - I hope you read this and have a good think about some of the comments you make during these match day threads about lack of effort etc…

4 Likes

VFL player review: Rd 3 v Carlton

The key stats and assessments of 10 senior-listed Bombers in VFL action against Carlton.

By Molly Magennis - Just now

VFL senior coach Leigh Tudor has assessed each player below.

The Bombers will have a bye this week before returning to Windy Hill to face Frankston at 2:05pm on May 16.

Tom Cutler

Stats: Six disposals, one tackle

“‘Cuts’ started well. He was getting plenty of the ball in the first quarter and then he did his calf in the second quarter, so that was disappointing for him. He’s going to miss a few weeks now.”

Ned Cahill

Stats: 23 disposals, six marks, four tackles

“It was a pretty good effort from Ned. He pretty much played on-ball the whole game and he didn’t get much rest. He won a fair bit of the ball and used it pretty well. He set us up a fair bit, so I was pretty happy with Ned’s game. He had four tackles as well, so his defensive effort was good. Like most blokes he was a bit tired in the last quarter. He tried to battle on for us all game."

Patrick Ambrose

Stats: 17 disposals, one goal, three marks, three hitouts

“Another good effort from Patty. I think he only had one rest for the whole game. He ran hard all game, presented for us really well. I thought he was good in the contest and competed hard, but it was a tough day for our forwards to be honest.”

Cody Brand

Stats: 15 disposals, six marks, two tackles

“The good thing from Cody was that he played 100 per cent game time. When he was tired he made some errors but it was probably to be expected. A couple of times he got beaten out the back which was disappointing, and I know he was disappointed in that. To his credit he did a good job because he had to stay on the ground the whole time with the injuries we had.”

Tom Hird

Stats: 14 disposals, five marks, two tackles

“I thought defensively it was probably his best game he’s played for us this year. His man had no impact on the game. The last couple of weeks he’s been working on his accountability, and the last two weeks I thought he’s been one of our better backmen in that regard. I was really happy with the way he defended and he got a little bit of the ball.”

Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

Stats: 14 disposals, six marks

“Tough game for ‘Thatchy’ again. He was another one that didn’t get a rest. Again, a little bit like ‘Brandy’ (Cody Brand) he got beaten over the back a few times which was disappointing and his ball use probably let himself down a little bit there, so it’ll be a good week for Thatchy to get out on the track and work on his ball use and start again.”

Lachlan Johnson

Stats: 11 disposals, three marks

“Quiet game from Lachie. He had a bit of midfield time. He also went down the back and got a little bit of uncontested ball. It was a tough game for Lachie."

Alec Waterman

Stats: 11 disposals, one goal, three marks

“I thought Alec started really well. He kicked a goal, he was presenting, he was really good in the one-on-one contests. He reads the game very well. Unfortunately, he did his ankle in the second quarter. With the other injuries we had he tried to stay on as long as he could, but by three-quarter time he was pretty much done. It was a really good effort for him to stay out as long as he did.”

Josh Eyre

Stats: Three disposals, two marks, two tackles

“He didn’t get a lot of the ball. We lost our ruckman before the game, so he had to be sort of a relief ruckman and I thought he competed honestly in the ruck. As a forward he probably dropped a few marks he could’ve taken and probably found it a bit tougher this week."

Cian McBride

Stats: Five disposals, one mark, one tackle

“I thought it was a great effort from Cian. He had to ruck. It was the first time he’d been a ruckman and he was really competitive against De Koning, who’s a very good ruckman from Carlton. We were only minus two for clearances for the game, so I thought he battled really hard and followed up really well. He knew we were under the pump and he tried to stay out as long as he could to help the boys, so I was really happy with his care for the team.”

6 Likes

Persist

1 Like

Can’t disagree with much of that. Obviously they underplay anyone who has had a bad game (e.g. Johnson), but you can read between the lines.

I’ve now seen Cahill in the midfield two weeks in a row, and have been pretty impressed. Not saying he’s going to make it, but if McGrath or Ham was injured he could come straight in and contribute. Definitely lots to work on, but also some strengths to work with. Seems smart around the ball, neat user, and runs all day. Obviously VFL level, but the counter to that is he’s not getting much midfield support.

Did go completely missing in the second quarter (1 disposal), but also means he did very well in the other three.

3 Likes

Rev

Are you ok?

2 Likes