VFL - Round 3 vs Pies @ Victoria Park, 2:10pm Saturday 21 April 2018 -- WITH FRANGA!

Langford
Laverde
Clarke
Mutch
Francis
Thatcher
Ridley

There’s some serious talent in this group right here

6 Likes

“I want to play like Nat Fyfe”

– Kyle Langford

3 Likes

That’s a fair call.
It will be interesting to see what happens with him either way. He’s clearly got talent but it seems very less clear what our coaches think of him.

Agree, did enough. I’d like to see him behind the ball just to get a different perspective while he is still getting up to speed. I think he has plenty to learn about consequences of coughing it up, no better way than learning from mistakes closer to opposition goal.

1 Like

Gotta hit the clearance at speed instead of lurch and stop if he wants to play more like Fyfe.

A club like Carlton who doesn’t have much depth in midfield would take a chance on him.

Because we aren’t playing him his value is going down but I’m sure plenty of sides would give him a chance based on his potential.

Went to the game. Disappointed about the result but not too fussed. We had a lot of players missing, and we tired as the game went on. Are Mynott, McKernan, Jerrett, McNiece and Redman all being held back due to Anzac Day?

On the performance, it was a little more concerning. Clarke was a step above, and great to see. BOG for us by a country mile. Leuy was Leuy. Mutch showed good signs, as did Zerk. Ridley to a far lesser degree. Houlihan had some patches. Francis did fine but nothing more given where he’s coming from.

The real issue was Lav and Lang. Both top 3 for us today. But Langford was pretty rubbish by AFL standards. I’ve seldom seen a less impactful 30 possession game. His decision making is poor and slow by VFL standards, let alone AFL.

Laverde was better, but you god he’s a dumb footballer. Skilled, but his ability to make bad decisions is shocking. Hopefully it’s rust.

Long is lucky to be on the list.

7 Likes

Genuine question, what role do you think he should be playing? I think most clubs would want him playing some version of midfield minutes.

Just replayed the game. Very pedestrian performance by Ess VFL.
23 players, most of whom seem to be devoid of the concept of working for their teammates. Most seemed to be wanting to impress as individuals rather than have a focus of teamwork to move the ball!
Disappointing display.
Better “individual performances” by Laverde and Zerk-Thatcher(looks very promising). Clarke and Mutch endeavour to team together but still lack body size and a metre of pace. Tend to mostly look under pressure when they have the ball.
I hope the 4-5 outs doesn’t suggest major changes to the seniors for Wednesday!

I knew Long was a laid back kid,but when was walking past me to line up for the 4th quarter,he was whilstling a tune like was walking through a park.

Farking LOL.

4 Likes

HB, wing, outside mid, HF. Basically any role where you want a distributor.

Yep, he ain’t an inside mid and never will be.

1 Like

usually full of wankers but

I only watch d first half but it was pleasing.

Zerk thatcher was rarely beaten And he had lots of second efforts.
Clarke was involved in a lot of grunt work. Around the ball and he hit targets with his kicking.
Saw Langford get caught. But he looks a pretty imposing figure in VFL. He also missed goal he should have kicked. Ended. Up with most stats so must have had a good game.
Laverde tried the don’t argue like dusty, but he got caught, good try though, his confidence is building. He looks like he could rip a game apart soon in VFL. Good to see him used aroun ball as well not just forward.
Mutch was involved a lot eary. He’s back in form quick.
Hind looks like a handy player has some nice pace.

Leuneberger dominated his opposition, should come in against dees for Belly.

Draper looks alright too.

Francis is a footballers football.
If he was fit he could be playing In the seniors.
Still very good half given interrupted preseason.
More talent than Lav and Lang.

Didn’t see much of Ridley. And long just went on before I had to go out.

1 Like

Langford is about as much a mid as Stringer is.

And ironically Stringer has taken the HF position which could have been his.

4 Likes

But is his field kicking A-grade? He’s not quick enough to cover the ground in that role, so he’d want to be an A-grade kick.

and guess what- he will initiate that my friend

He’s not a Gleeson level kick, but if you disregard pressure inside kicks then it’s not bad at all. And he doesn’t need elite speed, he reads the play very well. That’s one of the things that makes him a good HF, and is wasted playing him inside.

Only if he could translate that in the seniors,

If only somebody other than Heppell or Merrett could do that in the seniors