VFL - Round 7 vs Willy @ Point Gellibrand - 3:05pm Sat 11 May 2024

VFL bye next weekend.

Next match is in two weeks vs Willy at their home ground. Hopefully we don’t lose the momentum from today’s win.

2 Likes

YARN | Do not touch Willie. Good advice. | The Simpsons (1989) - Treehouse of Horror VI - S07E06 | Video clips by quotes | d9ccd745 | 紗

1 Like

The VFL is an absolute joke - we always seem to have a bye.

1 Like

likely depends on player availability.

with Tsatas and Shiel and maybe another Afl mid (setterfield? Hobbs?)there we should be competitive.
no injuries against eagles

an earlier start would be better. The wind off the water often picks up around 3pm and the locals really know how to use the breeze to advantage.

2 Likes

Don’t know why we are starting so later when the curtain raiser VFLW between Willy and Norf is at 10am… and will be done by midday!

Reid playing!

Essendon VFL has named its side to take on Williamstown at DSV Stadium this Saturday.

The Bombers are boosted by the returns of AFL-listed pairing Jye Menzie and Zach Reid from respective injury layoffs, while livewire forward Oskar Smartt returns to the line-up after his stint with the Young Guns representative squad.

Menzie’s comeback will inject important pressure into the Dons’ forward line, while Reid has proven his fitness for this week after a conservative approach following a hamstring strain back in round one of the AFL campaign.

Watch the highlights of the Magpies and Bombers clash in round five.

Following last week’s bye round, the VFL Bombers will be raring to continue the good form they displayed to register their first win of the season against the Pies in round five.

Young half-back Cam Nyko makes way this weekend, with Sam Weideman (AFL emergency) and Matt Guelfi (AFL selection) the remaining changes.

Essendon VFL take on Williamstown at 3:05pm this Saturday from DSV Stadium, with streaming available on the AFL website.

Essendon VFL round seven team v Williamstown

B M. Foley (73) Z. Reid (31) L. Hayes (18)
HB L. Lual (34) W. Hoare (51) B. Scott (77)
C X. O’Neill (55) E. Tsatas (5) A. Roberts (38)
HF J. Menzie (47) N. Caddy (30) T. Wanganeen (40)
F J. Davey (36) C. Gray (81) V. Visentini (39)
R N. Bryan (24) D. Shiel (9) J. Hately (50)
INT S. McKay (80) J. Peris (53) T. Toma (61)
O. Smartt (83) J. Eckersley (58)
23rd Player O. Smartt (83)
EMG C. Nyko (65) R. Monti (52) J. Jedwab (68)
A. Molan (82) M. Kiraly (78) A. Makieng (70)

Ins: Z. Reid, J. Menzie, O. Smartt

Outs: C. Nyko, M. Guelfi, S. Weideman

13 Likes

So Shiel and Tsatas are named on field but Weideman is an out because he’s an AFL emergency?

1 Like

Good to see Smartt back, but was also enjoying watching Nyko play. Shame we aren’t allowed both of them.

2 Likes

Well, der… it provides very adequate time for a hypothetical person (or people!) to cycle there after our VFLW team finishes at Windy Hill around 1pm.

Note to any hypothetical person: check what routes might be impacted by West Gate Tunnel Project works.

2 Likes

I am not sure how I feel about Weideman being the emergency.

It’s fine.

To put bluntly, I think it’s a reflection that his development is not a priority (similar to Hind as sub) so it is more appropriate to hold him over.

4 Likes

While I hope that nobody gets injured so Wied has to play, I’m happy that if anyone at the club is missing out on either AFL or VFL football this weekend that it is Weid.

7 Likes

You’d have thought one of them would’ve been held over.

1 Like

presume they’re holding weid over just in case and want to get a full game into shield and tsatas. wouldn’t suprise if one more emg is pulled though

4 Likes

VFL side looks pretty good on paper.

Well balanced.

I hope they have a good one.

3 Likes

Weids papers are stamped.
On the off chance a big man goes down in the warm up he comes in.
He at least would know the structures etc. to adhere to.
Means Reid, Hayes, Bryan etc. get a full game in the VFL.

4 Likes

probably best call. weid emerg.

get games into shiel and Tsatas.

And get to see who is the best small
forward out of Tex, Jayden, Jye and Oskar

3 Likes

Is that the best VFL listed side we’ve named all year? Would be close.

6 Likes

For some years.