VFL squad - A pathway to playing AFL

One thing that I have been thinking about for a couple of years while watching the Essendon affiliated VFL teams, (previously Bendigo Bombers, now Essendon Reserves) is the opportunity the club has within its reserves team.

First of all the Bendigo Bombers. While there were some elements of this affiliation that worked well, it largely was extremely poor interms of the partnership with the Essendon Football club. There was confusion over the playing roles of AFL listed players. The VFL listed players trained separately in Bendigo to the AFL listed players. There were even times team mates were meeting for the first time on game day.

Yet there has been relatively decent success that has come from the development of the VFL players from this affiliation. With Stewy Crameri being the biggest name. Essendon never really took advantage of this with recruiting Bendigo players (Crameri & Atkinson aside). Yet other clubs saw the potential in a few of these players, and recruited them under our nose. (Dickson, Dunnell, Z. O’Brien, Redpath, Campbell, to name a few)

Now as a stand alone club, the potential is massive. After watching the footage Anthony Tippungwuti being told that he will be Rookie listed, it just re-affirms my belief that there is so much we could benefit & gain from the reserves list.

First of all, the AFL Rookie list has always been a squad of speculative players who are very likely going to amount to nothing. The failure rate is high. Yet we always have hope because we’ve seen the likes of Rioli, Peverill, Lovett, etc.

It’s time we start using the Reserves list as a pathway for players to get on the Essendon FC Rookie list.

1. The Essendon list managers meet with each VFL player, and talk them through what areas of their game they need to work on, to get an opportunity on the rookie list
  2. The club make it clear to anyone around the country, 'If you’re aged between 18-25, and want to play for the Essendon football club, you need to try out for the VFL squad.
  3. The Essendon rookie list is only used on Essendon VFL listed players unless; they are a father son, a young young player has slipped through the national draft, a VFL positional player hasn’t met the KPI’s and we need a certain type.

This gives the recruiters the opportunity to see how much the players have improved and given the recruiters an insight of their work ethic on the training track and during games. The VFL players know the Essendon FC game style and The coaches also find out about a players character.

We could really set the standard amongst the AFL in this area of recruiting. It would improve the success rate of the rookie list. The rookies getting drafted are ready to play AFL. And they have been given enough seasons to get their professionalism to the standard needed. It also gives us the opportunity to take risks on certain players who have amazing talent but might have personal challenges in their life, without being under the AFL media spotlight.

It is a certainly a great opportunity if we create the opportunity. Perhaps the past three years might have taught us something, when deprived, get creative.

Love this post, while using the rookie list excuslively for Essendon VFL is probably not nesccessary it still is definitely a worthy avenue worth exploring and using regularly.

Our vfl squad will be so good this year. Premiership and top 3 this year.

Love this post, while using the rookie list excuslively for Essendon VFL is probably not nesccessary it still is definitely a worthy avenue worth exploring and using regularly.

It’s very limiting, out and out stupidity. But using our VFL side as a pathway to the AFL side is something that should be a no brainer.

I still believe a strong ( top 4) VFL side is a key to keeping our depth players tuned up to seamlessly run on in the AFL side as required , but also to bring on VFL players to play at a standard as close as possible to AFL to fast track them.

In 2015 we already prepared a number of players for AFL lists, including Tippa, Coughlan and Conor McKenna, (who only remains a Cat B Rookie, because he can play AFL as required from the rookie list. ) so I am not so sure we arent doing this already?

What you seem to be advocating is bringing in more inexperienced players , which would have the effect of making the AFL side less competitive, thus compromising my first stated aim. There needs to be a balance.

The fact that the northern Clubs have their Acadamy clubs, means the Melbourne clubs need to have their sh*t sorted. Having an academy style set up with the VFL squad is vital.

The VFL list doesn’t give you first access to those players, but I think the AFL club can be pretty confident that they have all the information needed to draft their own VFL listed players. That’s something other clubs will never have.

It would be great if you could somehow have dibs over your own players even if it was very fair and didn’t give you any huge advantage per se.

Don’t know how this would work with the national competition but WCE and Freo have a dedicated side each, not sure the system in the SANFL? What if each club had 3 state league nominations that the could use to ask people to the state league combine. If anyone was nominated they go, if you are nominated by > 3 clubs it’s open slather for drafting that player. If a player is nominated by his feeder club and no-one else (or only one other club) you have the ability to list that player with the last rookie pick much like the F/S rookie system. The system could not be gamed (let’s say someone has to be 20 yrs old or over) and any standout state leaguers like Boekherst, Marcus Adams or Mitch Brown couldn’t be picked up on that system. But it would incentivise the development of Tippa-types for each club.

There’s probably holes in my model, I thought it up literally as I was typing this post but it would be good if they had a way of utilising the “pathway”

Personally, I’m of the opinion anyone who nominated for the draft and is in their 2nd+ year of state league football should basically be a free agent. If someone played U18s and a full year of state league football, everyone’s had plenty of access to them through the equalisation of the draft, and plenty of opportunity to see them play. After that point if someone’s willing to take a punt on them, just let clubs add them during the DFA period.

Just increase list sizes, does virtually the same thing.

Doesn’t give some sort of preferential access though.

It’s very limiting, out and out stupidity. But using our VFL side as a pathway to the AFL side is something that should be a no brainer.

Yeah I was just try to be subtle / nice… But yeah okay that works too.

Yeah I was just try to be subtle / nice… But yeah okay that works too.
Actually, allocating one or two rookie spots per year for an Essendon VFL listed player/s is not that bad an idea. It lets all and sundry know that if you play in the Essendon VFL side and perform, you have a decent shot of getting at least a rookie gig. We have almost done it defacto for the last couple of years anyway, drafting on average one player every two years since resuming a VFL presence. Crameri, Tippa, Skipworth, Atkinson and Ambrose have all come from the VFL squad. Add in a couple of others the club was seriously interested in that got snapped up by other clubs and I don't really see an issue with allocating rookie picks to the VFL squad. Do this and we may attract better players to the VFL squad which can only be of benefit to the team.
It would be great if you could somehow have dibs over your own players even if it was very fair and didn't give you any huge advantage per se.

Don’t know how this would work with the national competition but WCE and Freo have a dedicated side each, not sure the system in the SANFL? What if each club had 3 state league nominations that the could use to ask people to the state league combine. If anyone was nominated they go, if you are nominated by > 3 clubs it’s open slather for drafting that player. If a player is nominated by his feeder club and no-one else (or only one other club) you have the ability to list that player with the last rookie pick much like the F/S rookie system. The system could not be gamed (let’s say someone has to be 20 yrs old or over) and any standout state leaguers like Boekherst, Marcus Adams or Mitch Brown couldn’t be picked up on that system. But it would incentivise the development of Tippa-types for each club.

There’s probably holes in my model, I thought it up literally as I was typing this post but it would be good if they had a way of utilising the “pathway”

They could just treat essendon vfl/ all reserve players the same as northern academies.
Then if hawks use pick 20 on tippa we need to match points or let him go to hawks. And can rookie list for free.

How did it work when the list included 52 players? 20 would have been picked for the 1sts, 20 for the seconds… Do any of the old timers remember what the remaining 12 listed players did on a Saturday for a game?

How did it work when the list included 52 players? 20 would have been picked for the 1sts, 20 for the seconds.. Do any of the old timers remember what the remaining 12 listed players did on a Saturday for a game?

Drank beer

Soggy biscuit.

How did it work when the list included 52 players? 20 would have been picked for the 1sts, 20 for the seconds.. Do any of the old timers remember what the remaining 12 listed players did on a Saturday for a game?
Played for their local clubs. My cousin played for Doutta Stars when he missed out at Essendon 2nds.

I don’t think a list of 48 -50 would be too much of a problem for the VFL. Injuries are so constant that everyone would get a game most weeks. I think you’d take enough flyers/hail marys with your last rookie picks that 1-2 playing at Aberfeldie 2-3 times a year wouldn’t be a crime.