VFLW 2022 squad

Very very good! And, deliberately or not, on the main club account first.

Credit to how seamlessly they got Ugle and Barba to answer the same question.

Lazy Kendra excluded the crowd.

(click it for higher resolution)

Coops = Eloise Ashley-Cooper
Dani = Danielle Marshall
Morcs = Alexandra Morcom
Sim = Simone Nalder
Kenny = Kendra Heil
Barbs = Alana Barba
G = Georgia Nanscawen
JZ (unfortunately pronounced American) = Jordan Zanchetta
Mez = Marianna Anthony
Milzy = Amelia Radford
Nat Mac = Natalie MacDonald
Feddy = Federica Frew
C Bomb = Cecilia McIntosh
Nae (or Nae Nae) = Renee Tierney

No Bella “Fresh Princess” Ayre this week.

1 Like

BORING!

2 Likes

AFLW draft profile of our “Milzy”. Not enough talk about her dancing through packs.

Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

Amelia Radford Draft Profile

Amelia Radford is an Essendon VFLW player who has had a consistent season this year with high-level defensive pressure and ball-winning.

Amelia Radford is a tough inside midfielder who is clean at ground level, strong aerially and can impact around the ground. When she irons out some areas of her game such as her opposite foot and kicking consistency, Radford could be a player to watch at the top level not just in the midfield, but being able to adapt to other positions on the ground.

Essendon’s Amelia Radford is a mature-age midfielder who had an impressive season for the incoming AFLW expansion side’s VFLW unit this season. Though not pre-listed, Radford was one of only a handful of mature-age VFLW players to earn an AFLW Draft Combine invite, suggesting interest from clubs outside the red and black. She does have a number of traits that lend themselves to being able to adapt to the top level; from her defensive pressure to her stoppage craft and strong hands around the ground. She still has areas to improve on, most notably her kicking consistency, and in turn, her opposite foot.

Radford is a strong, 168cm midfielder who is clean by hand overhead, and at ground level, and lurks around the stoppages to try and win the contested ball. She can spread well to the outside and win it in transition, often being a player who can dart laterally and put it on the boot true and straight. Her kicking itself can be inconsistent, though she does put it to the right spots. At times she goes for distance, and still directs it to damaging places on the ground, but an improvement on her opposite left foot would help with the overall consistency and efficiency of her kicking. Radford’s stoppage craft around the ground is strong, as is her ability to clunk marks on a lead.

One area that really stands out from a technique perspective, is Radford’s tackling, which is often a case of pinning one arm and leaving the ball handler with no ability to dispose of the ball cleanly. If the Essendon midfielder can tidy up kicking consistency - particularly her opposite foot - and at times decision making, then she has some nice defensive and offensive traits as a midfielder who can play in other positions.

FUN FACT:

Amelia Radford recorded 20-plus disposals in nine of her 15 VFLW games thus far, showing a high level of consistency to her accumulation.

1 Like

QUIGGLES! Returns to Greenvale Division 1 for her first game after more than a year out injured, and kicks 6 goals! :heart:

Image from Ugle:

3 Likes

Ex-Bomber Terira Fry also on the winning side, plus Bree Barba.

All players have their own stories.
This from the outstanding role model Courtney Ugle

3 Likes

Guess who reaches 43 years old today!

Birthday greetings to the Cbomb.

1 Like

It ends up as an ad, but #enjoytheride

By Aiden Tilley

VFLW player Kendra Heil has become a vital cog both on and off the field at Essendon, taking up a new role as student experience coordinator of the Essendon Education Academy (EEA).

Taking the road less travelled, Kendra Heil, better known as ‘Kenny’, has always been eager to explore new territories.

Having uprooted from her home country of Canada, Heil moved to Australia to chase her dream of playing AFL - a move sparked through playing for the Hamilton Wildcats in the AFL Ontario league. In the nine years since her move, Heil has experienced the highs and lows of footy since beginning her AFLW career at Collingwood.

“As soon as I heard word of the AFLW becoming reality I made it my goal to get drafted,” Heil said.

“Unfortunately, I tore my ACL before the draft. I was lucky enough to still get picked up by Collingwood despite this, but three days after returning to training I tore my ACL again.”

After multiple ACL injuries, inaugural Essendon VFLW player Kendra Heil’s 50th consecutive game in round eight against Geelong carried extra significance.

Though this period was tough and one of the hardest for Heil, it never soured her spirit for the game.

In 2017, Heil moved across to Essendon to join its newly founded VFLW team. Like many state level athletes, she juggled her profession as a painter with the vigorous commitment of football. Some of her paintings can be seen around the club, bringing life and colour to many of the walls inside the NEC Hangar.

Fifty consecutive games later, Heil is a senior member in an undefeated Essendon side that is due to play in their first ever VFLW Grand Final.

Through her time at the club, Heil has become a leader and mentor to younger players. With a plethora of life experience alongside a passion to help others reach their potential, mentoring has become a prominent part of Heil’s life.

Essendon wasted no time in approaching Heil for the role of student experience coordinator - a role that has seen her begin to transfer these on-field leadership qualities off-field for the EEA.

“I was eager to be able to continue my journey mentoring outside of just VFLW,” Heil said.

“Having had such a rewarding experience so far at Essendon, the opportunity to be able to help others share this experience really stood out to me.

“I look forward to helping grow the program going forward and help all students involved get the most out of their time with us.”

The EEA offers young individuals the opportunity to take multiple pathways that blend RMIT-accredited diplomas with high-level placement opportunities at Essendon’s home, the NEC Hangar.

Heil will be serving as a first point of contact for many students looking to join the program. Here she will be able to use her skills to maximum effect, mentoring and coordinating the Academy.

With a mid-year intake on the cards, the EEA will be welcoming all eager students eager to kickstart their careers in elite sport.

1 Like

Footy factory!

• Emily Everist at #25, despite @Catherine_Lio’s efforts to remove her from the draft.
  • Abbey Macdonald
  • Amelia Radford (we can legit claim this one!)
2 Likes

32, not 30, today.

1 Like

Liv is leading the EDFL goal-kicking when not playing for us.

In Division 1, Quigley has 8 goals after 2 games (the highest rate of anyone in the league). Top goal kicker is her team-mate and Calder Cannon Alisi Magri, who has 31 from 9 games.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Our first AFLW squad - 30 locked in

Congrats Simone!

2 Likes

Everyone all over it. Small sample:

Clifford:

Ugle:

Gardner:

1 Like

Sim has at least three goals on the board this week.

Just following Insta posts, it seems as Courtney Ugle may not be working at club next year. She obviously hasn’t been signed at by aflw program.

Anyone know anything here?

For those not following Insta posts, I’d say that interpretation is a stretch.