VFLW 2022 squad

Yes. The photo is also a year (two years? It’s all a blur) old.

2 Likes

Ha ! It went up on the website just three days ago !

Two years. It’s from a pre Covid world.

1 Like

But coles is indeed still a very strong sponsor of our womens programs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

About to fly out of Ireland and head back to Australia. Played 2 games in 2020 for Fark Carlton.

2 Likes

Thank you. Even a savage like me can work it out from that.

#26 might be available for her — and hopefully that would mean #26 gets more than zero possessions for the year!

1 Like

DESPITE missing out on most players’ ultimate goal of being drafted, 2021 was a “rewarding” year for Neve Crowley. The Calder Cannons and Essendon VFLW utility built on the promise she showed since making her NAB League Girls debut in 2019, ending her campaign via representative honours with Vic Metro.

Back with both the Cannons and Bombers in 2022, the over-ager reflected fondly on her achievements thus far, and will look to use each learning as the new season rolls on.

“(2021) was really rewarding,” Crowley said. “I learned a lot on field and off the field. I was surrounded by lots of great leaders, learned some great qualities and skills, so I was pretty happy.

“I definitely have my strengths and weaknesses identified clearly by scouts, Essendon and whatnot. But I’m just going to try to focus on my weaknesses and try to improve them.”

The versatile 175cm prospect thrives aerially, and proved as much on the stat sheet with an average of 4.5 marks per her two Under 19 National Championship games last year. Playing at either end of the ground, Crowley’s experience has allowed her to outline growth areas and perhaps the position she plays best in.

“Some of my strengths are probably marking, kicking, my long distance running and just getting around my teammates,” she said. “(I am) definitely looking to improve my goalkicking, like accuracy. “I really want to get more goals this year instead of more behinds, but we’ll see how I go.

“I do prefer forward, I don’t mind a bit of back here and there. I like being a hybrid player but forward is definitely my preferred position.”

During preseason, the 18-year-old set her sights on improving her fitness and ensuring her skills were “on point” ahead of Round 1. Long-term, doing “all (she) can for the team” is what Crowley is after, as well as the potential of more representative experience.

Crowley’s first game back did not exactly go to plan, as she suffered a head knock against the Eastern Ranges and had her day end early, before the Cannons eventually suffered defeat. She is yet to return to action for the 1-1 NAB League outfit, but will have plenty more opportunities there, and in the famous sash later this year.

From the @PH_WARFRadio interview, confirm:

(She’s the one seen at training to have kidnapped Tierney’s #24 game-day jumper… or vice versa.)

1 Like

C’mon @Catherine_Lio… jumpers have been presented, cough up! :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, since the jumper presentation has been done, here’s the squad.

Primary List

1. Courtney Ugle
    1. Mikaela Trethowan
    1. Sarah Ford
    1. Mia-Rae Clifford
    1. Georgia Nanscawen
    1. Jessie Davies
    1. Eloise Ashley-Cooper
    1. Marianna Anthony
    1. Eleanor Cornish
    1. Isabelle Currenti
    1. Elizabeth Hosking
    1. Danielle Marshall
    1. Lauren Caruso
    1. Tamsin Crook
    1. Federica Frew
    1. Kendra Heil
    1. Nicole Julian
    1. Cecilia McIntosh
    1. Alex Morcom
    1. Natalie MacDonald
    1. Renee Tierney
    1. Bella Ayre
    1. Joanne Doonan
    1. Simone Nalder
    1. Eloise Gardner
    1. Rebecca McDonagh
    1. Jordan Zanchetta
    1. Grace Dicker
    1. Bella Clarke
    1. Gloria Elarmaly

Development List
11. Kasey Lennox
23. Amelia Radford
36. Reese Sutton
37. Abbey Baillie-McDonald
38. Olivia Manfre
39. Scarlett Orritt
43. Octavia DiDonato
47. Stephanie Asciak

Note some squad/selection rules for 2022:

• The AFLW and AFLW-aligned clubs only select FIVE – down from six – under-22 development players each week (this includes us and Hawthorn)
  • AFLW clubs can sign up to 30 non-AFLW listed players during the AFLW home and away season
  • All 12 VFLW teams are allowed up to 15 AFLW players on their lists once the AFLW season is complete
  • VFL Women’s players must play at least one home-and-away match to qualify for finals
  • AFLW players must play at least three home-and-away matches to qualify for finals
4 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it on the website.

And geez, unnecessary number changes much?

EDIT: looks like the forum software buggered it up. #6, for example, has been left free?

I managed to change the format now by adding in bullet points. Thanks for catching that, I didn’t realise the forum’s format changed the numbers on me!

1 Like

Oh good, a lot fewer numbers to re-remember!!!

Have added the list to first post for easy reference – will add more columns (e.g. height) later.

I note some people (e.g. Crowley and Meyers) are not on the list but are clearly hoping to play via our default NAB League links.

New #2 Mikaela Trethowan is a 168cm Bushranger girl who played a few games with the VFLW Saints last year. Stats below are from the 2019 NAB League Fitness Testing Day.

Standing Vertical Jump:
1 Makeisha Muller (Calder) 47cm

6 Mikaela Trethowan (Murray) 41cm

Running Vertical Jump (Left):
1 Makeisha Muller (Calder) 60cm
2 Mikaela Trethowan (Murray) 55cm

20m sprint:
1 Margie Purcell (Sandringham) 3.26 seconds

4 Mikaela Trethowan (Murray) 3.31 seconds

So we haven’t included any NAB League Girls on our core list this year.

Developmental very very brief summary for now:

Number Name Comment
11 Kasey Lennox Played for us as KPD in 2021, upper-ager at Calder this year
23 Amelia Radford Played vs Casey last week; footy (B&F last year) and high-level cricket at Moonee Valley
36 Reese Sutton Cannons co-captain
37 Abbey Baillie-McDonald Already mentioned (without the Baille) as a Cannons standout
38 Olivia Manfre Cannons co-captain
39 Scarlett Orritt Bendigo Pioneers
43 Octavia DiDonato Already mentioned as a Bendigo standout
47 Stephanie Asciak Is a Western Jet but hates Footscray? See link below

Asciak will also play with Essendon in the Victorian Football League women’s competition.

“At one club I’m the oldest and the other club I’m the youngest,” she said.

“I think someone passed my name onto Essendon and I did a few training sessions with them.

“They offered me a contract.

“The speed of the game and the IQ of the game is a bit different.

2 Likes

Radford can get amongst the goals. Here she is last year vs Quigley, Dicker and (I’m guessing) Alana’s sister Briana/Bree Barba.

Weird: Mikaela Trethowan was listed as an Essendon player when listed in the Hawks AFLW Academy in a November 2021 article. She then created her Hudl account on 8 December with the below “team history”:

2020 is news to me! The headline (current) tag says Essendon.

She played her 3 games for the Saints VFLW in 2021 (as an Oakleigh Charger top-up). And her LinkedIn photo shows Punt Road. And she did work experience with Fark Carlton very briefly in 2015. And has an ASADA Level 1 Anti-Doping certificate.

WTF.

From Wangaratta, did both sides of the netball/footy club. Lots of fitness/sports admin roles. 168cm and 22yo.

All that stalking and I didn’t get to where/how she plays: the local country articles are behind paywalls.

2 Likes

Let’s talk about a Cannon actually on our list :wink:

And yes, as I previously identified from the photos, she has done some rucking this NAB League season.

February 8, 2022

KASEY Lennox is one of the more experienced NAB League Girls players. The over-ager debuted for a strong Calder Cannons side in 2019 and stamped her claim as one for the future, before progressing right through the pathway and earning Vic Metro Under 19 honours in 2021.

Having not just cut her teeth, but essentially made her name as a tall defender, Lennox is now looking to shake things up positionally in 2022. Her four-year footballing maturation in the NAB League has made for quite the footy IQ, and one which has Lennox focused on becoming more versatile this year.

“I’m trying to be more versatile around the ground instead of just being back all the time,” Lennox said. “I don’t really mind (where I play), I just want to show my versatility and see what I can play or where I can go.”

After starting the season in her customary full back role, registering 11 disposals and six rebound 50s against the Eastern Ranges, the 18-year-old made her move in Round 2 and notched another 11 touches as a ruck-forward. Her ability to adapt is aided by a strong handle on the fundamentals, which Lennox identified in her list of strengths.

“My strengths are probably my marking and kicking abilities, and footy IQ,” she said. “I’m looking to improve on speed and endurance, just running… (my) short-term goal at this point is having a good season and probably getting fitter and getting that speed and endurance up.”

On top of her representative experience in the famous ‘Big V’ jumper, Lennox also turned out in seven games for Essendon in last year’s VFL Women’s competition. From starting out playing in a boy’s junior side to rubbing shoulders with the best Metro and mature-age players, Lennox said she was grateful for each opportunity.

“They’re really good experiences. It’s really good to train with the high level, high standard teams,” she said.

“I started off 13 years ago at South Morang in Under 9s with the boys. I went to Wallan, played with the boys until Under 12s and then I went to a girl’s team because it started up and now I’m here… obviously my long-term goal is getting drafted.”

After making a 1-1 start to season 2022, Lennox and her Cannons are next set to come up against the Gippsland Power after a bye. The Round 4 clash will take place at Churchill Football Ground at 11:30am on this coming Saturday.