VFLW 2023 Squad

BARRACKED FOR US AS A KID.

Wait, she still is a kid.

by Michael Alvaro

ST KILDA draftee Mattaes Phillipou turned heads last year with his ambitious and vocal goal-setting, but he may be about to meet his match in that sense. Lucia Painter, a leading prospect for the 2024 AFLW Draft is making her intentions clear a year out from her top-age campaign.

The 17-year-old has already set a high standard; taking out the Bendigo Pioneers’ best and fairest, being named in the NAB League Team of the Year, and becoming the Vic Country Under 16 MVP all in her 16th year. She says she’s pushing to reach even greater heights in 2023 and beyond.

“I’ve set the bar, now I have to raise it,” she said. “But I’m willing to do that, I’ve got to push and push.

“The goal is to go number one, but obviously it depends on what teams need at the time. If not, top 10. My aim is to be the player every team wants, no matter what they’re looking for.

“(In 2023) I’ll go for league best and fairest. I got the Pioneers one last year, obviously I’ll aim for that again this year too… I just want to improve this year and then next year will be the same.”

Painter (left) alongside Ash Centra in Vic Country colours | Image Credit: Rookie Me Central

Painter’s accolades somewhat account for her grand designs. She has been highly touted from a young age and one of the main reasons behind that is her ability to play in a variety of roles. That kind of versatility is something she says will aid her quest to be the best.

“I’m working on being an allrounder,” she said. “Being trusted to be put in a position and actually work in it.

“At the moment I’ve been put as a midfielder rotating back. It’ll be interesting. For the first couple of games I’ll be set as rotating back for a rest, but it depends how the other team is – it might be a bit more work than that.”

Laying claim to an array of excellent footballing traits, to go with her elite mentality, Painter listed her kicking as a primary strength. On the flip-side, she’s looking to clean up her work at ground level and make her running patterns more shrewd.

An Essendon fan, she watches plenty of men’s footy and takes note of where players at the top level run and position themselves in each third of the ground. Though, there’s no one player she moulds her game on.

There’s a long way to go yet, but Painter has also mapped out her draft plan. She says she may take “some convincing” to move interstate but is open to “anything” once she establishes herself at the top level with a Victorian club.

Painter and her Pioneers will begin their 2023 Coates Talent League campaign on Sunday March 19 against the Murray Bushrangers, at Rumbalara Recreation Reserve.

1 Like

It was a record-breaking day in Thornbury, with Calder Cannons midfielder Amy Gaylor setting a new benchmark in the standing vertical jump (61cm). The AFLW Academy member also topped the running vertical leap with GWV Rebels winger Jessica Rentsch, as both athletes soared to 73cm.

TOP 10 RESULTS

STANDING VERTICAL JUMP
Amy Gaylor (Calder Cannons) – 61cm

Maddison Albrecht (Calder Cannons) – 55cm

RUNNING VERTICAL JUMP
Jessica Rentsch (GWV Rebels) – 73cm
Amy Gaylor (Calder Cannons) – 73cm

20M SPRINT
Marlo Cockerill (Oakleigh Chargers) – 3.151 seconds

Maddison Albrecht (Calder Cannons) – 3.208 seconds
Jenna Bannam (Bendigo Pioneers) – 3.222 seconds

AGILITY TEST
Nikita Harris (Dandenong Stingrays) – 8.31 seconds

Scarlett Orritt (Bendigo Pioneers) – 8.51 seconds
Nadia Peebles (Bendigo Pioneers) – 8.51 seconds

YO-YO TEST (level)
Sarah Poustie (Oakleigh Chargers) – 17.08

[no Cannons or Pioneers]

For those who like looking at murky photos, I think we had the following AFLW players training with the VFLW last night:

• Fede Frew (only just back from injury/operation)
  • Caitlin Sargent
  • Meg Ryan
  • Jorja Borg (back from injury, and has already played in the VFLW pre-season)
  • MORCS
1 Like

Pretty bloody poor letting Octavia Di Donato defect to the dark side at Pissy Park.

Of all the other 2022-listed players I’ve failed to mention in this thread, I think Hosking is the only other one seen at training or games.

(Well, plus Nicole Julian yesterday on dog-minding duty, but she’s moved to Willy.)

Two days, hopefully, till this thread can have a rest from my speculation.

P.S. Kendra is today 35yo.

1 Like

Couldn’t wait two days :crazy_face:

As the photo shows, she is bigger than Sutton (170cm vs 166cm, at a year younger).

by Peter Williams

CALDER Cannons midfielder Amy Gaylor is a fan of the red, white and blue, and therefore it should be no surprise the tenacious midfielder emulates her game around Western Bulldogs skipper, Ellie Blackburn. The AFLW Academy member is a hard, but clean in-and-under player and is hoping to develop the outside hurt factor that separates Blackburn from many of her contested ball-winning peers.

“I am a Doggies supporter so a bit biased,” Gaylor said. “I think her contested work is really, really impressive, but she’s also got that outside where she can kick and hit targets as well so that’s where trying to build my game from.

“I’d say (my) strengths are probably contested work, clean hands, tackling, my athleticism as well. Weaknesses that I’ve been working on preseason is probably kicking, a bit of endurance as well, a bit more long distance running.”

The Vic Metro representative averaged 15.9 disposals, 1.6 marks, 2.1 inside 50s and 2.2 rebound 50s in the 2022 NAB League season. Perhaps most incredibly for the the 2005-born Gaylor was her 7.7 tackles laid per game, indicating her fierce desire at the coalface.

“Last year was my first year in the NAB League and now I’m used to the competition, it’s obviously a big step up from local footy,” Gaylor said. “Especially in Vic Metro as well, it’s been really good playing against the best competition to prepare me (for 2023).”

Gaylor is likely to resume her inside midfielder role in the newly-named 2023 Coates Talent League, but is still keen to add extra strings to her bow by playing off half-back. After experiencing a preseason with the Cannons for the first time in 2022, the natural leader said the one leading into 2023 was on another level.

“It’s been a big preseason compared to past years,” Gaylor said. “We’ve had three training sessions a week and it’s been incorporating a lot more running and gym work as well, so it’s been a good preseason.”

In between her work with the Cannons, Gaylor spent a weekend with the most talented young players across the country as part of the AFLW Academy. When asked what her big takeaways from the January camp was, Gaylor said the off-field knowledge. In particular, she learnt more about post-game recovery, and nutrition both pre and post-game, as well as throughout the week.

Her father has been the top-age talent’s number one mentor along the way, helping her develop her football and providing advice and support for her.

“He definitely thinks he knows more than he does, but he’s always there if I need to go for a kick, always after a game giving me advice so he’s been a good mentor for me,” Gaylor said.

Looking ahead to the season that kicks off next weekend, Gaylor’s goals for 2023 included to keep improving both on and off the field, and eventually land on an AFL Women’s list.

“Just being the best player I can be,” Gaylor said. “Just keep on improving. Also my leadership I’m looking to improve whether that be part of the leadership group at Cannons.”

Broken AGAIN? :frowning:

(Well, presumably now less broken than the last 10 weeks!)

Aaaaand she’s also joined the Dark Side. As has Kasey Lennox, not that she could get a game for us last year anyway. If Gardner gets back, Lennox would remain at least fourth in line as a key defender.

(At least) dual captains!

2 Likes

Excellent

GET THE EXPENSIVE VEGES FIRST!

2 Likes

Clarke and newcomer Wilson the vice-captains.

The VFLW Bombers are proud to announce that Mia-Rae Clifford and Courtney Ugle will lead the team for the 2023 season.

For the first time in club history, the VFLW Bombers will have Indigenous Co-Captains, with the pair announced at tonight’s guernsey presentation at The NEC Hangar.

Rounding out the leadership group is Maddi Wilson and Bella Clarke, who will support the Co-Captains in leading this side.

Clifford will lead the side for a second year in a row, while Ugle returns to the role that she held throughout the 2019 season.

Ugle and Clifford were both instrumental in the Bombers’ Premiership winning 2022 campaign, with the pair leading the way for the club to build on their successful program.

Ugle, an inaugural VFLW Bomber, moved from her home state of Western Australia to join the club in 2018, going on to hold various leadership positions throughout her five seasons at The NEC Hangar.

Arriving at the Bombers ahead of the 2021 season, Clifford’s experience from her three seasons at AFLW level has been influential setting standards and expectations for the program.

Head of VFLW Georgia Harvey said the pair will be fantastic leaders for their fellow VFLW teammates.

“Mia-Rae and Courtney both epitomise what it means to be an Essendon person,” Harvey said.

“While on-field they are vocal and lead by example, it is the off-field support that they provide to their teammates that really highlights their leadership capabilities.

“Alongside Travis (Cloke), our leadership team are launching into season 2023 with a real hunger and desire for sustained success within our women’s program.”

The VFLW Bombers will kick off their 2023 rebel VFLW season on Sunday, March 26 at the NEC Hangar when they take on the Box Hill Hawks from 11:00am, where they’ll also be unveiling their 2022 VFLW Premiership flag.

1 Like

The last six weeks with a broken leg and Nalder as captain argue otherwise.

All they had to do was write “during” rather than “throughout” :innocent:

Crappily merged photo:

1 Like

I count less than 30 women there.

No Zanchetta. No Gardner.

Mia-Rae would suck at maximising Halloween swag, too, I reckon. You can’t waste your opportunities on cauliflower.

EDIT: OK, I hope she got the organic stuff; that’s a bit expensive.

1 Like

WHERE’S THE SQUAD?

Don’t know if VFLW and AFLW work the same as the guy’s.

Will Georgia (when ready) make a come back through the VFLW ?

In theory yes, she would be able to join in the later half of the season.

1 Like

This year’s rules haven’t been published (surprise) but there will presumably be:

1. a limit on how many AFLW players can be added to the VFLW squad
  2. a limit on how many AFLW players can play in any given game
  3. different rules for finals eligibility

But yes, unless things go badly awry, you should expect Georgia to play some VFLW this year. You’ve already seen multiple AFLW players feature who didn’t play (much) in our first season (e.g. Borg, AshleyCooper, Ryan, Sargent, Tierney).

1 Like