VFLW 2024 Squad

If you count regular attendees not yet announced, those who played in Darwin, and the two apparent signings I mentioned in the training report of January 18 (who we desperately need to hold down half-back, to allow us luxuries like Marshall and Molan forward)… that puts us at a squad of 30.

I hope she’s telling the truth.

2 Likes

I do feel a little dirty though, being a HOLDEN liking a Ford post :crazy_face:

You will like Ford, AND you will like the other Ford!

Cornish has gone to Footscray, too.

Sorry, but meh.

I think Asciak as well, making it six five players in one season.

EDIT: Bella was instead part of the mass exodus to Port.

So we have lost Ugz, Mia and Cornish to the dogs? Any update on Alana?

And Crook, and Asciak.

Seen nothing from Alana. Not sure what her injury status was, though.

1 Like

This is summer in Footscray :crazy_face:

(image from Gallivant)

1 Like

Asciak went to the Dogs last year - she’s listed there on the Dogs website at least.

1 Like

Whoops. Never did work out how she (Western Jet, so linked to the Dogs) played for us as a junior.

1 Like

Idk either. Played three games for the Dogs in 2021, then only one for us in 2022, and then back to the Dogs last year.

1 Like

Three more announced.

The more-credible inclusion mentioned in my Jan 18 report is locked in: Marnie Robinson, Allies Captain of last year and maybe CHB for us.

(The shakier inclusion of that date HAS liked the announcement post on Instagram. Make of that what you will!)

Amy Carris-Brett played for us in Darwin.

And Drew Ryan is back (two games for us in 2022 as a junior, seven with Box Hill last year). Played tall-ish wing for us.

Mali formerly with Essendon VFLW

1 Like

Welcome Alain.

Mali McLeod was never actually on our list. Cannons/Pioneers struggled to get games with us in 2022 (her senior year).

Liv Manfre was the only one to get more than 2 games.

EDIT: 2022 might have been Mali’s bonus year at Calder, given she would have been 18yo going into it. For 2021 she would have been behind (at least) the six junior debutants who went on to be drafted that year.

Adding her and Bailey Hunt would be a huge bonus. You could have (say) those two at half-back and Ford at full-back, and have the luxury of playing Marshall and Molan mid or (please, for at least one of them) forward.

Marnie is a good pick up for us. Happy about Drew as well :slight_smile:

We’re a month away from Round One, and lots of new players might claim a spot by then, but here’s a possible team.

It looks like it could be pretty competitive to me… midfield is decent quality but a bit small, because in this example I’ve chosen to make our key position forwards a LOT scarier.

B Maddison Ford Ashlea Melnikas
HB Bailey Hunt Marnie Robinson Manaia Huta
C Isabelle Porter Eloise Chaston Sarah Ford
HF Scarlett Orritt Sophie Molan Tayla Hart-Aluni
F Danielle Marshall Olivia Manfre
MID Krystal Russell Grace Dicker Ruby Mahony
INT Jaimee-Lee Morrow Tia Davidge
Chloe Prpic Maddison Shaw Madison Gray

(I’m not convinced MadGray is top 21, but I am also not convinced on our pace. Half-a-dozen players in that 21 are yet to be seen in action this year.)

1 Like

Dani as a key forward would make me very happy, and I suspect would make her happy as well.

Wish we’d seen it more at AFLW level.

2 Likes

She was played forward in the first practice match I saw her in, and then never again, just to annoy me. This was me before round one of 2022:

We did manage to get to 98 points that game, though…

It’s a huge call taking her from the backline; but we want to win games, not just save them. There are 5-6 mids there who can get us opportunities; let’s not waste them.