VFLW 2025 Squad

Not enough EFC mentions from The Messiah.

HIGH volume dynamo Chloe Baker-West is ready to go in 2025 after injury interruptions curtailed her bottom-age season. She showed prior to injury that she is more than capable of matching it with the best of her peers, and has an incredible CV that includes two Under 16s Vic Metro MVPs along the way.

A member of the National Academy, Baker-West is touted as one of the best smalls in the draft, capable of playing on all three lines, and is a production specialist, regularly racking up 30-plus, and even 40-plus disposals in a game. We spoke to her at the recent Coates Talent League Preseason Testing Day.

LAST SEASON STATISTICS

Team Games Disposals Marks Tackles Clearances Inside 50s Rebound 50s
Calder Cannons 2 39.5 2.4 5.9 8.5 6.5 6.0

Q: Chloe, tell us a bit about your footy journey?

CBW: ā€œBasically I started playing off with the boys when I was eight, in Under 10s. Been playing with the boys for nine years, transferred over to the girls in Under 16s at Strathmore footy club and now I’m just at Cannons. I’ve been at Cannons the past three years, so I’m loving it.ā€

Q: You’ve had some cool Metro experiences, won a couple of 16s MVPs, what was that like for you?

CBW: ā€œIt was amazing. I kind of think it was a boost of confidence in my footy and it just started the journey off for me and we just built from there.ā€

Q: You had some injury interruptions last year, what did you have and how did you recover?

CBW:ā€œI had dislocated fractured fingers and then a stress fracture in my shin. It was devastating and didn’t get to do certain things that I’d like to do like play through the champs for Metro but we built from there, we’re getting back fitter, getting back to some training now. Looking to play some good footy for the rest of the year.ā€

Q: Where do you see yourself playing this year?

CBW: ā€œFor Cannons, hopefully midfield, half-back. Playing champs or Academy games, I love that half-back role when I’m in the mid, small forward sometimes, but I like playing everywhere.ā€

Q: What do you see as some of the strengths in your game?

CBW:ā€œMy ability to kick, hit targets, burst out of the backs and be able to hit a target on the run. Then game sense, I love reading the play from half-back and being able to see the whole vision.ā€

Q: What are you looking to improve on at the moment?

CBW:ā€œLooking to improve my burst, my speed out of a pack, taking on the first five steps and being able to take the game a little bit more rather than dumping the footy on my boot a little bit more.ā€

Q: What are you looking to set for yourself in terms of goals this year?

CBW:ā€œBiggest goals are probably recover well, get the recovery and after games. Then just be consistent, consistent with my games, don’t get shattered if there’s one bad game, and then train hard. Bring the intensity at training and it transfers into games.ā€

Q: Who’s the most individual influence on your career?

CBW:ā€œMy dad. My dad has had the biggest influence on me since I was little. Being around footy he used to coach me all the time, he’s always been there for me through thick and thing.ā€

Q: Which AFL/W club do you support?

CBW: ā€œWestern Bulldogs.ā€

Q: Is there a reason for that?

CBW: ā€œDad grew up in Footscray, so I’ve always been around the Bulldogs, so loved it.ā€

Q: Players at the top level you look up to?

CBW:ā€œDeanna Berry for the Bulldogs, AFLW captain and Marcus Bontempelli, have always been around them.ā€

@theDJR Do you know whether Chloe Thorn (Oakleigh Charges) was picked up by any VFLW team for this season.

How have people not worked out that I know nothing?



(no, I do not know)

1 Like

Club originally posted this one:

Minor variant:

But wait, there’s more.

  • One comment appears to confirm Chaston will be captain again.
  • Add Chloe Prpic (right second row) and Isabelle Porter (second from left front row) to the returning player list.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: VFLW - miscellaneous comments and articles

Running!

1 Like

A few names have snuck onto the Hudl 2023-2024 team listing: we already knew of Bella Page, Freya Hibberd, Grace Azzopardi, Megan Mifsud, Holly Heymanson, and Brooke Plummer.

But there are also new* names!

  • Kayla Peake
  • Lucy Thompson
  • Maddison (another?!?) Albrecht
  • Marli Klaumanns-Moller
  • Mikalee Maroney
  • Sophie McIntosh



*I can’t immediately confirm they weren’t listed on Hudl during the last two years, but they were never on the official lists then.

EDIT: per the below, they are all definitely new as they were all with a junior or other VFLW team in previous years.

  • Maddison Albrecht is a graduated 160cm mid/fwd Cannon (career info, article noting she is ONE OF US with her favourite player being TIPPA).
  • Kayla Peake comes from Norf VFLW and is a mid (hard to get a role there last year!) - career info
  • There are multiple Lucy Thompsons. The most prominent one is ANOTHER Tasmanian who skippered the Devils (bigger-bodied fwd/mid, profile) ← oops, @patrick_bombers reported this 27 days ago!
  • Marli Klaumanns-Moller is a 24yo from Norf VFLW (their site calls her a defender, but she was named as a mid and occasionally a flanker through most of her games there). Four years there but only played a full season in 2023.
  • Mikalee Maroney is 158cm and played one game for the VFLW Pies last year.
  • Sophie McIntosh was amongst the best at the 2024 VIC Combine in the yo-yo and agility tests. Might want to be an engineer.

Abbey McDonald is also listed on Hudl.

This one I’m genuinely unsure on – she has not been on our list since 2022, so should not be a holdover.

But it makes sense that, like Brooke Plummer, the response to being cut from Geelong AFLW is not to hang around, and instead head closer to her origin.

Would be quite handy across various positions – averaged 25 disposals in the VFLW last year.



EDIT: confirmed, she’s the front left orange vest in the camp photo above :white_check_mark:

Right now I’m going with the theory that Jess Wuetschner is a mole, and is sending the best Tassie girls to us (both of their 2024 Captains, plus another from that leadership group).

2 Likes

Probable significant losses from 2024:

  • Mahony played 15 games (of 15)
  • Morrow 11
  • Manfre 10
  • Hart-Aluni 8
  • Huggard 8
  • Hunt 8
  • Huta 6 (sorry, but not a loss)

Everyone else who has left was at best cameos, so while they may have been in an ideal ā€œbest 21ā€ it’s harder to argue they were key to where we finished.

The first two players above are by far the most significant, at least until we actually play and can work out 1) who plays mid at a high level and 2) who the hell is rucking. I suspect I’m going to be sooking more about Richo ā€œruckingā€ā€¦

Let’s jump the gun on the official announcement that may amend the 34 players identified so far for this year*. Ignoring juniors and AFLW-listed players, the ages for each year’s squad are:

Year Median Average
2018 22.9 24.0
2019 23.3 24.3
2021 24.0 24.3
2022 24.0 24.8
2023 20.9 22.0
2024 21.1 22.8
2025 20.5 21.5

The trend continues…



*I wrote down Drew Ryan as present at the first training season I went to, but since then no evidence of her existence. She would be player #35. Dunno if I got that wrong… regardless, she is 21 so isn’t going to sway the result above by much. If Bernadi isn’t playing, though, subtract 0.4 from that average.



(Dates measured from Jan 1st of each season. There are a handful of players across the years with estimated ages.)

Ha, that didn’t take long to clarify last night’s posts. Club has announced 17 re-signings, including confirming Bernardi and Ryan (I’m not a complete moron!), and suggesting Hart-Aluni’s broken leg is healing rapidly enough to play this season.

+21 newbies

New signings:

Brooke Plummer
Layla Prince
Abbey McDonald
Lucy Thompson
Marli Klaumanns-Moller
Maddison Albrecht
Megan Mifsud
Grace Azzopardi
Molly Heymanson
Eva Downie
Maggie O’Connell
Freya Hibberd
Sophie McIntosh
Eva Harris <— new news!
Meg Harrison
Maddison Ibrahim
Sam Johnston <— new news!
Kayla Peake
Ella Brown
Bella Page
Mikalee Maroney

1 Like

Sam Johnston is an ex-Casey captain, and AFLW player with the Saints and Dees.

Big-bodied mid (176cm, so one of our tallest players) or KPP. Gun; hopefully not slowed-down much at 32yo and a couple-years-old bub.

Given we only had 5 (?) players over 24yo, a much-needed leadership boost.

1 Like

Eva Harris is from the NT Academy. 179cm!

Played 15 games at the top level of the NTFLW this summer for Southern Districts, which included two bags of four goals and one of three. That’s impressive given SD finished second-bottom (percentage 58%) and only won three games… I haven’t checked if those bags and those wins coincided!

Club is now posting images of all new players on Instagram… about half of them are the same as chosen by me in the ā€œ2025 cheat sheetā€ I created over many hours on Sunday!

Have continued the pattern in recent years of not explicitly naming any Coates League juniors in the squad.

You’ll have to wait on The Messiah.