VFLW - Elimination Final vs Hawks @ Box Hill City Oval, 11am Sat 8 July 2023

2022 ROUND 12

2022 was the story of four dominant teams: us, Casey, the Saints, and the Hawks. And we didn’t face any of them until round 12!

Earlier in the year everyone at the club failed to notice that Jesse Davies had reached 50 VFLW games. And so we got this innocent query:

Which just went to show La Presidenta doesn’t read anything I write, because the previous week I had noted that Courtney was set to hit 50 and Alana to hit 25.

We had a lot of others unavailable:

First Last Ailment Weeks
Caitlin Sargent unavailable TBC
Kendra Heil Knee 1
Eloise Gardner AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Cecilia McIntosh hamstring TBC
Renee Tierney AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Maykaylah Appleby Concussion 1
Jordan Zanchetta AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Scarlett Orritt sick 1
Bella Clarke AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Emily Everist sick 1
Tia Davidge sick 1
Jayda Richardson unavailable 1
Steph Asciak sick 1
Abby McDonald AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Octavia Didonato AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
La Presidenta Spicy Cough 1

But all of the above have it easy, because…

The fragile Hawks did lost a few during the week, and Tamara Luke just before halftime.

We lead 25-10 at the final break. Their Isabella Porter is doing a decent job on Nanscawen (I’d call it a draw, though the umps casting votes for the league B&F will give Georgia benefit of the doubt).

We extend the lead to 31-12 with ten minutes left… and then things get interesting. Abbey Holmes dominating the clearances, Von Bertouch goaling, they miss the entire goalface at least three times, and another Hawk goal, and another Hawk goal, and it’s 31-31 with 70 seconds left.

Fede has been moved into the middle to stem the flow. We get it forward, and come the siren we have our Drew Ryan having a set shot from the boundary 30-odd metres out.

It goes to a HUGE pack.

9326876524629b7fa0e7c1df320288f5d2dcdfa6_2_690x232

Players from both teams think the ball did the right thing.

43812514320dbe927acbf95a977a1780ecb02efc_2_690x272

Nope. Didn’t make it. Draw.

We’re lucky Dani Marshall kicked her first (and only) VFLW goal for us this day. She will of course kick a booming goal vs the Hawks in the AFLW season opener a few months later.

2 Likes