VFLW - Elimination Final vs Hawks @ Box Hill City Oval, 11am Sat 8 July 2023

Will be final #7 within 2 years (730 days)… let’s roll.

5 Likes

Qualified for finals and is not AFLW-listed, with approx status.

EDIT: removed the bottom two, as AFLW-cut players need to play three games. Weird rule.

Name Status
Bella Clarke available
Chloe Prpic available
Courtney Ugle available
Eleanor Cornish available
Eloise Chaston available
Grace Dicker available
Jaimee-Lee Morrow available
Jayda Richardson available
Kendra Heil available
Krystal Russell available
Leah Spargo available
Lila Keck available
Lily Bateman available
Maddi Wilson available
Maddison Ford available
Madison Gray available
Manaia Huta available
Meg Ryan available
Melanie Bateman available
Mia-Rae Clifford available
Olivia Manfre available
Reese Sutton available
Sarah Grunden available
Scarlett Orritt available
Sophie Molan available
Tamsin Crook available
Tia Davidge available
Zoe Hurrell available
Maddy Pearson hopefully OK
Sophie Ure injured (season?)
Tayla Hart-Aluni injured (season?)
Eloise Ashley-Cooper no - DNP 3 games
Annabel Strahan no - DNP 3 games
1 Like

Note that all of the Western Jets, Calder Cannons, and Bendigo Pioneers are playing this weekend.

There’s not a huge gap between Morrow and Russell (Jets) for the ruck role, but Lila Keck (Pioneers) is exactly what our forward line needs right now.

CONFIRMED.

Box Hill (4th) v Essendon (5th) at Box Hill City Oval, Saturday 8th July at 11am.

ENTRY IS FREE

3 Likes

The path to the Shiny Thing.

I’d like:

• FCFC beat Willy, finally
  • we beat Hawks, der
  • Pies beat Port

Which leads to:

• we meet and beat the Pies in SF2 – what we barely failed to do in 2021 – and proceed directly to the Grand Final
  • FCFC beat Port

We get the week off, and the Pies and FCFC smash each other for our entertainment. Let’s have FCFC win, for variety.

In the Grand Final we get revenge for round 3, and… SHINY THING.

More likely, Willy win, and we have to slog our way through four games against some of the more dangerous teams to achieve back-to-back. Second week could be blockbusters: EFC-Pies and Port-Willy.

1 Like

@theDJR @PH_WARFRadio
For the Johnny come lately to VFLW…
Are all the finals at 11am in the morning?
Luckily for us it looks like it’ll miss all our AFL games regardless, but interested to know if a 2pm start is ever used.

Not always. But 11-12 starts have been common in recent years.

1 Like

We’ve played the Hawks more than any other club – and we’re on a 6 game streak without loss. Sure, 2 of those were draws…

Year For Against Result
2018 21 60 -39
2018 14 41 -27
2019 20 56 -36
2021 55 27 28
2021 29 14 15
2022 31 31 0
2022 60 7 53
2023 27 27 0
2023 32 15 17

It is worth mentioning that we also played them in this year’s pre-season, and we lost 36-47… but I’d call that game good news for us, as Maddie Boyd kicked 4 goals for them, and three days ago the Saints AFLW team stole her away.

Stats Leaders (leaders, us, Hawks, maybe a few others).

Apart from goals, the numbers below are averages… but the rankings are sorted by totals.

Disposals
1 - Jess Bates (Pies) 27.1
2 - Angelica Gogos (Falcons) 20.8 ← included to show how far Bates is ahead!

Goals
1 - Sarah Cameron (Willy) 18
2 - Monique Dematteeeeeeoooooo (Pies) 16
6 - MIA-RAE CLIFFORD 11

Marks
1 - Maddie Boyd (Hawks) 5.2 ← NOPE
2 - Nadia von Bertouch (Hawks) 4.6

Tackles
1 - GRACE DICKER 11.2
2 - Jordan MIfsud (Hawks) 10.4

Kicks
1 - Angelica Gogos (Darebin) 17.1
7 - Grace McRae (Hawks) 12.8

Handballs
1 - Jess Bates (Pies) 11.6
3 - Jordan MIfsud (Hawks) 8.8

Hit-outs
1 - Leah Swain(Casey) 39.3 ← has steadily increased all year
4 - Grace Matser (Hawks) 25

Quality depth and much more experience at the Hawks.

Given there’s 9 games to cover, I’ll try to keep this history lesson shorter…

2018 ROUND 1

We lose 3.3.21 to 8.12.60

This is of course our very first game. It’s well into the third quarter before Alex Quigley marks and kicks our first ever goal. Barracked for us (and Lloyd in particular) as a kid, and will top our goal-kicking for the first two seasons.

Video of the grandstand going right off for it at https://mobile.twitter.com/EssendonFCW/status/992982986344751104

Tiny Valerie Moreau wants to fight Sarah Perkins (who kicks, IIRC, five goals for the day).

I wasn’t keen on one ump in particular, even when he stuffed up in our favour.

The niece of Michael Long, Danielle Ponter, goals (and tops many of our stats). She gets drafted to Adelaide at the end of the year, and remains a key player there. Moreau goals (and in that play I count her passing 13 Hawks on her way to the goal). Hayley Bullas has 9 tackles.

Annoyingly, the AFL has purged all of the games that were streamed to/available for replay on YouTube.

P.S. For me, the above qualifies as a short summary.

2018 ROUND 7

We lose 2.2.14 to 5.11.41

GWS AFLW player Tanya Hetherington debuts, along with Calder Cannons players Molly Warburton and Carla Rendelmann. Hetherington and Kirby Hicks will be our key defenders for the rest of the year, and valiantly restrict damage to us. Warburton will ultimately play 20 games for us, including every game of 2019.

At one point, the Hawks are on their favourite score (3.9.27). More on that later.

Moreau kicks a goal early, Jess “#1” Trend kicks one late. In between we get smashed, but not due to lack of effort. When you see the stats, you realise how much pressure the defenders were under: we lost contested possessions 165-117 and uncontested possessions 152-82!

Alex Morcom has 9 tackles down back, and Bullas is leading the league with 63 tackles from 6 games.

We’ll cover 2019 and 2021 tomorrow…

2019 ROUND 6

We lose 3.2.20 to 8.8.56… it was 6-46 in the first half, before we knuckle down and shut them down.

Liz Hosking debuts: she will be a 34 game premiership player before heading to spit Fark Carlton.

Future AFLW B&F winner Ally Anderson has 23 disposals and 5 tackles for us, and little terrier Shae Audley has 21 and 13. Future Bear Ruby Svarc gets her nose broken, and will miss two weeks.

We conceded a fair bit of size vs the Hawks (we always did in those first few years, but this game was ultra lopsided).

2021 ROUND 3

We win for the first time versus the Hawks, 8.7.55 to 3.9.27 (the Hawk’s favourite score).

Elizabeth Snell (now at Footscray AFLW) debuts for us, and starts in the middle. I have to mention Frew starts forward, because everyone knows she’s a mid. And our first goal is Snell2Frew.

It’s a destroyation at The Hangar: at halftime we lead 41-10, before slacking off.

Since I wrote the above Felicity Theodore got good, and Dudley… did not.

I am so petty.

Surely this is not the first time I summited Bullant Hill?!?

After this game we are in the six, for the first time ever. Nanscawen had a casual 29 disposals and 8 tackles, but Nattie Macdonald was deemed BOG with 19 disposals and a score of 2.2

Even the hawks player called the third tackle ‘holding the ball’

1 Like

2021 ROUND 6

We win 4.5.29 to 1.9.15… never stop wasting your opportunities, Hawks!

The Hawks have made 10 (!) changes since playing us 28 days earlier. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing for them: they add 4 AFLW players this week, and also include some kid called El Chaston in her* debut VFLW game.

We have two debutants: tall utility Kasey Lennox and soon-to-be #7 draft pick and youngest AFLW player Zali Friswell.

In the warmup I note that Nanscawen has her calf taped; and that calf will tap out by halftime.

Did I mention I’m petty?

I don’t remember the below at all, but maybe someone at the club did. El has at least 5 shots at goal.

This is a time before I start annoying @handypoint:

An early point to Alana Barba, and then:

This is followed by MacDonald slotting a goal from the boundary on the run, and then Clifford putting us beyond reach.

6e9ca8d21e2a31d2daa7e1f693541f03060bea61_2_365x500

We move to 3rd on the ladder.

There are disputes on our best players…

Meanwhile, Barba stepped up to replace Nanscawen in the middle with a team-leading 18 disposals, 11 tackles, and 9 clearances … but did not make the best six.

2022 tomorrow
2023 (to date) Thursday
Team Friday!

Ha, I’ve watched this clip so many times, and never noticed that.

1 Like

2022 ROUND 12

2022 was the story of four dominant teams: us, Casey, the Saints, and the Hawks. And we didn’t face any of them until round 12!

Earlier in the year everyone at the club failed to notice that Jesse Davies had reached 50 VFLW games. And so we got this innocent query:

Which just went to show La Presidenta doesn’t read anything I write, because the previous week I had noted that Courtney was set to hit 50 and Alana to hit 25.

We had a lot of others unavailable:

First Last Ailment Weeks
Caitlin Sargent unavailable TBC
Kendra Heil Knee 1
Eloise Gardner AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Cecilia McIntosh hamstring TBC
Renee Tierney AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Maykaylah Appleby Concussion 1
Jordan Zanchetta AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Scarlett Orritt sick 1
Bella Clarke AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Emily Everist sick 1
Tia Davidge sick 1
Jayda Richardson unavailable 1
Steph Asciak sick 1
Abby McDonald AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
Octavia Didonato AFL Health and Safety Protocols 1
La Presidenta Spicy Cough 1

But all of the above have it easy, because…

The fragile Hawks did lost a few during the week, and Tamara Luke just before halftime.

We lead 25-10 at the final break. Their Isabella Porter is doing a decent job on Nanscawen (I’d call it a draw, though the umps casting votes for the league B&F will give Georgia benefit of the doubt).

We extend the lead to 31-12 with ten minutes left… and then things get interesting. Abbey Holmes dominating the clearances, Von Bertouch goaling, they miss the entire goalface at least three times, and another Hawk goal, and another Hawk goal, and it’s 31-31 with 70 seconds left.

Fede has been moved into the middle to stem the flow. We get it forward, and come the siren we have our Drew Ryan having a set shot from the boundary 30-odd metres out.

It goes to a HUGE pack.

9326876524629b7fa0e7c1df320288f5d2dcdfa6_2_690x232

Players from both teams think the ball did the right thing.

43812514320dbe927acbf95a977a1780ecb02efc_2_690x272

Nope. Didn’t make it. Draw.

We’re lucky Dani Marshall kicked her first (and only) VFLW goal for us this day. She will of course kick a booming goal vs the Hawks in the AFLW season opener a few months later.

2 Likes