VFLW - rep game vs NT @ TIO Stadium, 6pm Wed 24 Jan 2024 - streamed

Also, they sorted players by numbers, like any normal person would.

# Name
? Jamie Lee Puaatjimi (TIWI)
? Kimberly Cunningham (TIWI)
? Freda Puruntatemeri (TIWI)
? Maria Rioli (TIWI)
? Glorianna Luta (TIWI)
1 Maddison Ford
6 Ruby Mahony
8 Eloise Chaston
9 Jaime-Lee Morrow
12 Chloe Prpic
13 Olivia Manfre
16 Jayda Richardson
18 Kyla Tracey
19 Ashlea Melnikas
20 Scarlett Orritt
23 Madison Gray
28 Amy Cariss-Brett
31 Maddison Shaw
35 Danielle Marshall
44 Grace Dicker
45 Tia Davidge
46 Krystal Russell

And more specifically, per post #1, she was named in the NTFL original squad!

1 Like

Jamie Lee Puaatjimi has played for Diamond Valley, highly ranked in the NTFL (6th best in 2017, in one opinion) and you may remember her from pieces such as this:

https://www.colesgroup.com.au/media-releases/?page=coles-helps-share-the-incredible-stories-of-indigenous-australians-through-naidoc-week

(JamieeLee is on the right. Freda is in the middle; has kicked bags as a key forward up there, and did some cameos in the ruck with us as well. She’s not tall tall, but has plentiful spring!)

Might go by “J-Lee”.

2 Likes

Freda was a legend.

2 Likes

Kimberly Cunningham Is captain of the Tiwi Bombers.

[more to come, but next post intervenes]

AFL article up with some significant coaching info and quotes from Vozzo… that EFC didn’t think worth mentioning.

Essendon co-captains Steph Cain and Bonnie Toogood will step in to coach the VFLW team.

1 Like

Streaming link for both games!

1 Like

NTFL numbers:

NTFL
1 - Marika Carlton
2 - Emma Stark
3 - Tatyana Perry
4 - Steph Lawrenc
5 - Jemma Iacono (vc)
6 - Jasmyn Hewett (c)
7 - Maighan Fogas
8 - Christy Landwehr
9 - Mickayla Ward
12 - Billie Byers
13 - Emma Forsyth
14 - Carly Remmos
15 - Emily Foresaw
16 - Reni Hicks
17 - Madeleine Jeans
18 - Janet Baird
19 - Cassie McWilliam
21 - Kate Atkins
26 - Molly Althouse
28 - Jonita Kingsley
30 - Ruby O’Dwyer
31 - Gabby Deller
40 - Jo Miller

32 - Brittany Daly (em)
38 - Georgia Johnson (em)
39 - Stella Ajani (em)

By the way, it was already the plan last week that the new coach would stay home and do training for the remaining players.

Cherie O’Neill was internally announced just 7 days ago… don’t know how much earlier she was officially signed up, and got to see the squad as a whole in action.

1 Like

She’s ~26yo, here’s a piece she wrote when she was 17yo.

Stats are wrong or she spent a lot of time out of footy:

https://www.playhq.com/public/profile/23257e3b-559b-4474-ada3-e30b12850946/statistics?tenant=afl

MIDFIELDER, FORWARD

Maria Rioli

Height: 172cm

D.O.B: 06-03-2005

Leagues: Coates Talent League Girls, AFLW U18 Championships

Maria Rioli has seemingly flown under the radar this season, which is far from easy to do given her lineage. But the small forward largely played through the NTFL Women’s Premier League where she slotted in as a midfielder who could rotate forward. When stepping up to the Allies for the first game against Vic Metro, Rioli kicked a ripping goal and gave spectators a taste of what she is capable of.

As one would expect from the famous family, Rioli has all the raw traits that catch the eye. From her acceleration and clean hands at ground level, to her game awareness, goal sense and X-factor. The Tiwi Bombers midfielder-forward is a good height at 172cm, and having long being touted as a potential talent to step up, Rioli is one of those players who is father-daughter eligible but will likely be available in the open draft.

The reason is that she is quite raw, with her endurance and consistency needing work. She is not going to be a 15-20 disposal player, more so a 5-10 touch talent, but one who could kick three goals from a handful of touches, or set up score assists. It won’t happen consistently, but she has the capacity. Rioli may be a player who benefits from another year of development as she irons out her game, but her highlights and natural footballing ability are as good as anyone’s.

STRENGTHS:

• Clean hands
  • X-Factor
  • Speed
  • Game sense
  • Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
  • Endurance
1 Like

I got nothing on Glorianna Luta other than she appears to be a young’un.

I should have worked out who the one on the left is now… but I can report she’s a brute at training.

EDIT: it’s Melnikas. She was in the Norf leadership group and in 2022 I labelled her “Tierney’s Evil Twin”.

Wet Captain’s Run images at:

https://x.com/essendonvflw/status/1749752016380080444?s=46&t=imL6YgaGeTjHROQGZ9ZBsw

Not stated who said captain is!

Dicker and Davidge:

Coupla coaches:

1 Like

I’ll take it… rain to moderate across the matches? Note that 26° is a temp you would normally only get at the very coldest moment overnight.

(The vast bulk of my time up here has been dry… yet to see a classic evening thunderstorm.)

Some people think footy is a Saturday thing. They are wrong. I hope my plane can escape this.

It seriously urinated down here around 11am, but since then just a slow constant dribble. Nothing serious on the radar for hours to come.

3 Likes