VFLW - Round 13 vs Port @ Port, 11:30am Sun 25 June 2023

Win this, and we may be minor premiers (no matter how improbable our percentage suggests this should be).

Lose, and maybe fourth.

2 Likes

Despite missed games and mediocre form., Fede leads their goal-kicking with 7 goals (vs 27 at the same round last year).

Second, and all during the past month, is Emily Harley on 6 goals.

Chanelle Slater is on 5 goals. Their three other forwards with 5 goals each are AFLW-listed, and gone.

We’ve got Clifford with 8, Manfre with 7, and Wilson with 4.

2023 is not 2022, for either team.

[I started this post expecting a broader spread for Port with Fede not leading, but was wrong.]

1 Like

Stats Leaders (leaders, us, Port, maybe a few others).

Apart from goals, the numbers below are averages… but the rankings are sorted by totals.

Disposals
1 - Jess Bates (Pies) 27.4

Goals
1 - Sarah Cameron (Willy) 15
2 - Sharnie Whiting (Willy) 14 ← Willy are a problem if they make finals!

Marks
1 - Maddie Boyd (Hawks) 5.2

Tackles
1 - GRACE DICKER 11.4
7 - Lauren Caruso (Port) 7.7

Kicks
1 - Angelica Gogos (Darebin) 17.3
7 - Jessie Williams (Port) 12.6 ← not just ex-Bombers!

Handballs
1 - Jess Bates (Pies) 11.8
10 - Lauren Caruso (Port) 7.0

Hit-outs
1 - Leah Swain(Casey) 37.5
3 - Kate Dudley (Port) 28.7

2 Likes

Teams for this week are below.

Game as always will be streamed on AFL.com.au - with commentary? Who bloody knows!

If you’d like radio commentary, Brent at Casey Radio 97.7FM says he’s calling the game for them.

3 Likes

Nice INs for them. Boooooooooo.

1 Like

The Port Melbourne article is, unlike ours, an actual article. Albeit with at least one amusing typo.

Alomes’ injury is not further specified. They name a Richmond AFLW player in her spot.

With only two home and away matches remaining in the season, the Borough will look to finish the season off strongly. This Sunday Essendon will travel to ETU Stadium to take on Port Melbourne in a vital game for both sides. With only 4 points separating 1st – 7th on the ladder (top 6 finals) every win is crucial to secure a finals birth.

Senior players Courteney Bromage and Olivia Barton will make their way back into the side this week after a small stint on the sidelines due to injury. 19-year-old Richmond AFLW player Charley Ryan will make her VFLW debut and play her first game back after an ACL injury, lining up in the midfield.

Claire Dyett will play her 50th VFLW match in round 13. The skipper played 15 games for the Hawthorn Football Club (now Box Hill Hawks) over two seasons in 2018 and 2019 before rupturing her ACL at the end of 2019. After a year of rehab in 2020, Dyett decided to make the move to Port Melbourne at the end of 2020 and has since played 35 games for the club. Dyett played her first proper season of footy with the Vermont Eagles in 2016 as an 18-year-old in their inaugural U/18’s side, finishing off the year as the Best and Fairest before transitioning into senior women’s footy in 2017 for Whitehorse Colts (now Pioneers).

“I am really proud to be playing my fiftieth VFLW match this weekend. I am so thankful for the incredible people that have helped me get to where I am, I am all the better for having these people in my life. The Port Melbourne Football Club is like home to me now and it’s been a massive opportunity to lead the team out, week in week out. I have learned a lot about myself and am so excited to continue to grow and inspire others,” says Claire Dyett.

In the inaugural VFLW side in 2021, Dyett was named vice-captain and finished the season as the Best and Fairest. In 2022 she was named co-captain alongside Mel Kuys and continued to drive the team forward through a challenging year for the side, only winning three matches. A well-respected teammate and a natural leader, Dyett was named soul captain for the current season and has taken her side to 8 wins and 4 losses, sitting on top of the ladder with two matches to go.

“The way the team has taken on much adversity over two years, and to now be able to produce the footy we are at the moment is a testament to the group of players, coaches and staff. We’ve got one goal this year and it’s to win the premiership and I wouldn’t want to go through this journey with any other club.”

1 Like

The VFL site also expands on the Port changes.

“Channel 7 girl” Abbey Holmes is set to play her first game of the year for the Hawks.

Sunday will be a similarly huge day for Richmond’s top selection from the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft, when Charley Ryan makes her own return from a knee reconstruction to play her first VFLW game for Port Melbourne against Essendon at ETU Stadium.

Inside midfielder Ryan, 20, from the powerful Beleura junior club on the Mornington Peninsula, will play for the ladder leaders in their mammoth clash against the reigning premier.

Key players Olivia Barton (ankle) and Courteney Bromage (whiplash) also return for the Borough.

Port, who will celebrate captain and best-and-fairest winning midfielder Claire Dyett’s 50th VFLW match, has lost Georgia Alomes to a foot injury for a game where they could fall as far as fourth if the result doesn’t go their way.

1 Like

What’s the history?

Year For Against Result
2018 20 54 -34
2018 34 26 8
2019 23 58 -35
2021 27 38 -11
2022 79 16 63

That’s Richmond for the first three games, and Richmond-affiliated Port for the last two.

1 Like

2018 round 5:

The final score ended up ugly, but we were actually reasonably competitive in this game. We were also much smaller than the Tiggers.

1 Like

2018 round 9:

Three games later, we meet up again at Windy Hill. We jump them early, again, and have to fight against the wind in the last: the Tiggers kick four points, and DeMatteeeeeeeeeoooooooooooo with a huge welt on her forehead kicks her second goal for the day to secure the win: THE FIRST EVER WIN.

A great video is put out of us terrorising the crap out of the Tiggers (and 32 Mackrill setting up a majority of the goals).

1 Like

2019 round 3:

This is the first part of a Dreamtime triple-header. We bring in some kid called Cecelia McIntosh, and the Tiggers bring in a bank robber.

The only thing we win is the indigenous dance-off before the game.

This is the first (and only?) game where Nalder gets badly beaten in the ruck, and the Richmond midfield dominates all day. Katie Brennan has 23 disposals, 8 tackles, and a couple goals.

Eloise Ashley-Cooper debuts.

1 Like

2021 round 5:

Port Melbourne are undefeated and 251% coming into this game.

Port jump us 18-7 in the first quarter, and that 11 point margin will be held to the end.

Half of the day is Radio 3DJR and @PH_WARFRadio doing in-jokes, corrections, and cross-promotion for each other.

2 Likes

2022 round 2:

After the disgrace that was LadderGate, we let Port score and therefore come out of this game with a percentage >100%.

Liv Manfre debuts (La Presidenta had leaked that she was on the list 10 days earlier). Liz Hocking reaches 25 games.

Perhaps the game is best represented with this sequence in the final two minutes: rundown tackle after a Sophie Molan inside fifty, and a great run up the ground before another great rundown tackle to set up the last goal.

After this result, I’m taking it 15 or 16 games at a time:

Amelia Radford announces herself with 26 effective disposals (from 30 total), setting the new record for modern VFLW history.

It is after this game (and confusion over CBomb only being on 50 VFLW games) that I start creating The One True Spreadsheet™.

2 Likes

Per the other game at Port Melb now:

• sand is still “splashing” on every step of large parts of the ground
  • as per all games here this year, the audio gear is set up to capture all of the road noise around the ground, and none of the game

Also, Footscray are beating FCFC, 6-0 after 6 minutes.

I’d support an 80-0 result, but we do play Footscray next week…

1 Like

FCFC go BANG-BANG-BANG (first two to Christina Bernadi), and they are now probably making finals due to being slightly less incompetent than the likes of the Hawks and Cats. Getting to play 11th and 12th to finish the season is helpful.

1 Like

Casey vs Box Hill about to start. Hawks basically need to win this AND beat the Saints next week to make finals.

They only needed to win 1 of those before last week’s choke tie, with their favourite score 3.9.27 failing to beat the Cat’s 4.3.27…

1 Like

Maddie Boyd got the early goal; Teagan Williams got the late one.

Casey 8 Box Hill 6 at quarter time.

FCFC 6.0.36 lead Footscray 1.0.6 at the final break. Bernadi has 4 goals.

1 Like

Hawks are up to 2.6, two-thirds of the way through the game.

It’s gonna happen again…

(Scoreboard at the ground says 2.8, not sure which is wrong…)

1 Like

Hawks dominated that third quarter statistically (hit-outs vs Swain excluded, of course) and with the medium wind and being the only team who can make finals they should be able be able to win the game from here… surely?

1 Like

Abbey Holmes roves off the back of the pack from a Boyd kick to the goal square, and goals.

3.6.24 leads 2.3.15 a minute into the final quarter.

1 Like