VFLW - Round 16 vs Willy @ Windy Hill, 11am Saturday 24 August 2019 - we’re gonna win

Get around ‘em for the last game of the year; we’re looking to finish the season by winning 4 of our last 6 games. And if we can torch the top-of-the-ladder Pies, who know what we might do against bottom-of-the-ladder Willy?

5 Likes

A big out, but hopefully the ball is mostly down our forward end!

CBomb sent to the back pocket for some stability.

B: 45. E. Ashley-Cooper, 29. C. Laan, 5. C. McIntosh
HB: 18. K. Heil, 46. L. Ahrens, 11. M. Warburton
C: 33. E. Hosking, 44. G. Patrikios, 28. R. Svarc
HF: 23. M. Collier, 39. M. Fogas, 38. E. Gogerly
F: 6. A. Quigley, 25. L. Stepnell, 41. F. Theodore

R: 30. S. Nalder, 43. G. Nanscawen, 13. S. Audley

Int: 42. A. Barba, 3. M. DeMatteo, 17. F. Frew, 22. N. MacDonald

23P: 48. K. Petrevski

Emg: 35. M. Anthony, 2. I. Currenti, 27. T. Fry, 20. A. Madden

In: M. Collier, I. Currenti, T. Fry, M. Anthony, A. Madden

Out: K. Hicks

Williamstown

B: 40. T. Merrett, 15. D. Pedersen, 16. J. Paten
HB: 32. K. Douglass, 26. J. Heard, 44. I. Porter
C: 27. A. Shannon, 25. S. Whiting, 18. E. Straford
HF: 4. G. Anderson, 36. J. Kawa, 3. L. Suleiman
F: 34. E. Crawford, 6. J. Reid, 35. E. Gardner

R: 9. R. Achampong, 7. M. Williamson, 39. R. Tripodi

Int: 38. S. Barbas, 14. K. Carew, 41. E. McGrath, 30. A. Melnikas

23P: 17. Z. Hardiman

Emg: 8. E. Inglis, 20. S. Seabrook

In: S. Barbas, E. McGrath, K. Carew, S. Seabrook

Out: K. Koropeckyj, N. Wallace

Hope isn’t playing for Willy, she was key for them last time.

1 Like

Hope topped their disposals and contributed 87.5% of their score last time!

I’d like to keep them scoreless, but I’ll accept the one point score you’re predicting for Willy.

1 Like

PREVIOUS 2019 ENCOUNTER

Rd 12 @ Downer Oval: Essendon 7.5 (47) d Williamstown 1.2 (8)

RECENT FORM

After losing to top-four teams Southern Saints and Western Bulldogs in successive weeks, Essendon (9th, 5-8) pulled off one of the upsets of the season last round, dethroning Collingwood from the top of table with a 27-point beating of the Magpies. Williamstown (13th, 1-12) will be looking to break a seven game losing streak against Essendon, after losses to Richmond, Darebin and Geelong in the month of August.

KEY QUESTION

Can Williamstown get anything going forward? Williamstown has failed to kick more than one goal in each of its last four games. In each of those matches it was Moana Hope, Sharnie Whiting, and Emily Gardner who slotted the lone goals, while the fourth match saw the Seagulls post a return of 0.4. Yes, Williamstown’s opponents have dominated in inside 50 entries, but the Seagulls have still posted a minimum of 17 inside 50 entries in those four games, so they need to make sure they are capitalising on any chances down forward to have a chance of competing with the Bombers (who are on a roll recently) for one final win of the season.

KEY STAT

In Essendon’s win over Collingwood last round, the Bombers had 40 more possessions than the Pies, won the tackle count by 30, and had 22 more inside 50s entries than its opponents. Arguably the Pies were without some of its best players, but the win showed extremely positive signs for a team that finished the 2018 season with only one win and the wooden spoon.

Fair dinkum, perfect day here at Windy Hill for the last time in 2019

2 Likes

1 Like

We have a substantial northerly wind, which as usual will affect the two ends very differently.

Play smart, and please kick more accurately than this warmup.

Very poor crowd. The smallest I’ve seen here. Guess people don’t like seeing big wins!

(Yeah, I’m committing early. FINISH THEM!)

2 Likes

Skeeter!

At least Skeeta turned up.

If I’m ranking the teams by warmup kicking at the Napier Street end… we’re getting torched.

Ugle still has the moon boot on. Gets a photo with Skeeta.

We’re kicking to the protected Napier Street end in the first quarter.

In the middle is Audley Nanscawen Patrikios and ol’ unco Nalder.

Willy the first to breach 50 with a very long kick.

Patrikios collects and rebounds after a breaking of a tackle but it is marked by Willy in range.

They fail to accomodate the wind and put it out on the full to the right.

Last game for Patrikios in the red and black I’d guess, before Carlcum or someone drafts her for the AFLW and she moves over to their related VFLW side :frowning:

Stepnell and Theodore are the deep forwards.

But it’s a snap from the pack by Svarc who kicks the first!

6-0

I’m surrounded by the rest of the EFC squad, so loud.

1 Like

Hosking’s rewarded tackle on the wing gets it back in.