VFLW - Round 4 vs Casey @ The Hangar, 11am Sun 16 April 2023

Chaston CHF-ish. Is a good pickup. Strong medium forward. Not overly fast but gets to the right spots.

1 Like

It’s clear I’m the jinx this season.
First game I miss three quarters (slept in), wake up to see the final quarter and we only scored a point. Thankfully, we scored enough while I was sleeping to set up the win!

1 Like

By at_the_footy, Chaston taking on two victims.

Around the grounds: no Boyd/Perkins, no Hawks. Though maybe it was the midfield: their busiest player had just 13 disposals! Pies beat them 45-21.

Unfortunately that puts FCFC on top of the ladder.

Dicker certainly has a kicking style.

BOG working both ways:

1 Like

Not the most flattering photo and the basic stats have her down the bottom, but Davidge had a few nice moments, including some contested CLUNKs.

We batted pretty deep today :white_check_mark:

There are a lot of first-winners in the middle of this!

2 Likes

Photos indicate it was lovely.

SPLASH!

For the moment our percentage is thankfully irrelevant.

That’s a paddlin’.

Can’t find Leah Swain’s height, but she was a BIG challenge in the ruck.

Doonan is 167cm

Alyssa Bannan finished top with 108 fantasy points (20 disposals, 7 tackles, 9 clearances).

Some decent tackle counts there with Dicker 10 and Sutton 8 in the middle, with Barba 6 off halfback.

Ryan continues to be our clearance machine, with Clarke and Scott (the latter from few opportunities) trailing behind her. Ryan and Scott also led our inside fifties (5 and 4).

Umps liked Prpic (4 FF, 1 FA) and she also had 4 inside fifties. Radford went 0 FF and 4 FA!

Replay up relatively promptly this week. Reminder that it’s not particularly hard to download the video rather than struggle through the AFL interface.

Can’t tell if they botched the inclusion of the Casey Radio commentary, or picked them up accidentally due to them sitting nearby…

2 Likes

Quarter one:

• Yeah, so Amber Clarke is partially to blame for the initial rush of behinds, not just Scott.
  • The mammoth ruck, Swain, was the one who corked Doonan early.
  • Sheerin’s (non-) bounce at 7:45 :rofl: – we probably got lucky with that ump call though!
  • I found Swain’s height from her former basketball career: 192cm! And she’s not lightweight. Ryan and Russell not scared of contact, though.
  • Jacques and Dicker have to ruck her at times, too… and Hart-Aluni smothering a kick of a leg near her body size.
  • Dicker takes a few big hits, including one at 16:30.
  • Sutton good at the coalface forward, including the handball out to Doonan for the first goal.
  • Ryan loves a good barney (see the closing seconds of the quarter).
1 Like

Quarter two:

• You see Davidge’s mark from the photo earlier in the opening minute. Was a great sequence, messed up by that smother while trying to get it off too quick. Some yobbo in the crowd was screaming at her to get it off quick, as we had a spare player forward of the ball…
  • The bounce on Chaston’s snap: get stuffffffed.
  • I reckon Russel kneed the Demon in the ribs at 2:45. She’s still down >30 seconds later.
  • Oh Tay. Please convert these chances.
  • At this stage we are 2.9.21 to 0.0.0… Casey have us covered score-wise from here, but geez this should have been very over already.
  • Teagan Williams only ended up with 4 disposals and 12 hit-outs, but didn’t;t look out of place.
  • Holey crap that was a bad kick-out by Molan. Ultimately that narrows it to 21-14.
  • Stats lie when they say Courtney had literally zero influence in the first half.
  • Ha, and right after I wrote that she made a very obvious handball, not credited…
  • Watch Davidge attempt to hit a Scott lead at 16:20, miss by 10+ metres, and Scott still goals :100:
  • I appreciate Sutton’s game more in the first half of this replay than I did at the time.
  • Chaston goes to the last centre clearance of this quarter.
  • Barba maybe “wasted” by playing back for the first time since 2019, but she made life hard for Casey.

Maybe not a fair comparison as they weren’t regularly on each other… but to half-time I’ll call that a draw. After half-time, not so much.

Quarter 3:

• Doonan clearly limping (right upper leg corked and wrapped) before the start of the second half. Starts next to Bannan.
  • Jacques gets broken a minute in. Weird yoga before she gets up, and a bad left ankle obvious once she stands.
  • I’m just glad Swain is 80s crippled Andre the Giant, and not the 70s when he was agile.
  • VanLook headbutts Demon O’Neill just before 3:00. Ow.
  • Ump took the middle path at 3:30; was probably play-on but some would have paid 50. Fair enough.
  • Sutton smother of Swain’s big leg just part off a nice sequence of pressure starting at 9 minutes.
  • Tay CLUNKING six metres out (she was delighted/surprised)… she doesn’t know the mark in the goal square rule, but the umps eventually line her up. And then this…

WHY SO FAR OUT?!? Misses. Scott comes in with consolation/a rev-up.

• Ha, she then tries to mark from behind a pack at the next opportunity… like the confidence, but know your strengths! She does get the possession, though.
  • Attempted homicide on Courtney at 12:15
  • Alana’s family happy with her contested work at 13:00.
  • She’s maybe not as successful as Meg Ryan right now, but Krystal Russell works bloody hard at ground level.
  • Tay sometimes got a bit of the Leroy Jettas: FIRST INSTINCT!
  • She follows up with a strong contested leading mark, though.
  • Kenny nowhere near as influential as I reported at the time. I guess I was over-reacting to some very poor games earlier.
  • Clarke gets her head ripped off with a minute left. Pinged due to opportunity meaning the tackle did not have to be legal.

Quarter 4:

• Radford starts on Bannan.
  • Tay absolutely ripped off with the most obvious of holding-the-balls 45 seconds into the quarter. Shithouse umpiring.
  • Followed up by a textbook safe tackle called a sling vs Chaston. Get stuffed.
  • Courtney taking a defensive role on the wing. Has a huge last quarter.
  • The tap by Radford at 6:00 is clever.
  • At 6:30 we end our scoring, and lead 37-22.
  • Tay handballing to Dicker running past: noooo, you’re the better kick!
  • Kendra misses two targets in rapid succession.
  • Scott is taken out at 11:40. MadGray was bumped into her. Goal follows, and we lead by 0.8.8 with 8 minutes left.
  • Dicker gets some sustenance (?) during the break, then hands the wrapper to the ump before the game resumes (as they have pockets). Then she flaps her arms in apology (the boundary is soooo far away!)
  • Casey Radio sure made sure they surrounded their mics with supporters of the Demons. Not representative!
  • TACKLE TACKLE TACKLE we refuse to let anything happen in the closing minutes of the final quarter, defending a 2 point lead.
  • Ump refuses to pay a placing-of-the-ball-on-the-ground free and then an obvious throw facing him. Ump pls. But we rush it out of danger, and secure the win.
1 Like

Paige Scott is enough not-dead to be posting on Instagram :slight_smile:

They picked up the Casey Radio commentary by being close by. No direct feed/cable was provided (I’m told).

1 Like