VFLW - Round 9 vs Cats @ The Hangar, 11am Sat 20 May 2023

P.S. Calder is having a bye this week, after a league-wide four week bye. What a mess.

Laura Bashford, VFLW Strength & Conditioning boss and board-holder extraordinaire:

2 Likes

Multiple photographers tomorrow?

Rest of the changes for the league are out, with headline news (for us) being Caitlin Sargent dumping us to be a bench player for the Pies.

Not the only poaching happening – e.g. Norf is debuting Charli Granville from the Hawks VFLW and Madisen Maguire from Cats VFLW.

Hawks continue to be a very fragile team, losing A. McDonagh (injured), A. Pisano (injured), D. Ryan (concussion), L. Stone (injured), and J. #1 Trend (achilles).

(We’ve killed McDonagh in both of her games this year, showed no mercy on those two ex-Bombers, and Pisano and Stone were the only ones keeping that team under an average age of “pensioner”.)

I see 6 players from the other 11 teams combined have explicitly been dropped due to being AFLW players. Geelong going the opposite way and debuting an AFLW player versus us (Brooke Plummer).

I’ve added some info on our two new players in the squad thread.

MFord MFord MFord MFord Grunden Grunden Grunden Grunden

Changes made this year (ignoring round one): 5, 7, 8, 6, 6, 5, 4, 8.

Only four players have been there for every game: Ryan, Crook, Ugle, and Dicker.

Would have been nice to get Bella back this week, given we lost three tall defenders (GClarke, Marshall, and Gamble). Molan has played mid the last two weeks but is named at CHB. Ford may be a tall back option.

Our mid depth is not great, but Hurrell and Richardson both did a bit of that for us two months ago. Orritt likely to be on a wing two-thirds of the game, replacing Huta. Wilson and Davidge likely to be inside mids for decent chunks of the game (with Grunden replacing Wilson forward).

2 Likes

Looks like we’ll get through this game without rain. Just a question of how wet the grass starts.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sadly, that basketball tweet was lying when they said MFord was legit 6 feet tall.

Bella Clarke running laps.

6 AFL players on ground two.

For those who have only seen one of the shelters in that photo, there is actually four of them and they alternate between black and red.

In warmup the Cannons cluster together: Manfre MFord Grunden Sutton.

1 Like

I think MadGray not LilyBateman is the emergency out there. Been a while since I’ve seen either of them…

The AFL players are Cox Davey Wright Tsatas LAV and Kelly.

Grace says hi.

Gloomy but just puffs of wind. Isolated rain drops.

(Yes, I know rain drops are always isolated, but they’re more isolated than normal.)