VHS Tapes

I’m moving house and going through the accumulated detritus of around 20 years. I have a number of VHS tapes, and just wondering if anyone knows if they retain any value, or else if anyone is interested in them. I can list them if there’s any interest. Any info appreciated. (Thinking that, other than a few with sentimental value, most will go to Savers or in the bin.)

Oh, for a start, I’ve got a “2000 The Season That Was” tape. Anyway.

Hahaha, I just threw out my “Bomber Blitz 2000” VHS yesterday. Along with the entire Mighty Ducks trilogy.

And my VCR player.

I picked this VHS up at a garage sale a few years ago, but I’ve never watched it because I haven’t got a VCR set up.

Way too many

I’ve got Bananas in Pyjamas.

I've got Bananas in Pyjamas.

That probably is actually worth something.

I've got Bananas in Pyjamas.
Keep your euphemisms out of this thread.

Actually I’ll jump in here. If anyone has an old VCR lying around that they wanna send me (I’ll pay for postage) I’m converting old VHSs to digital (including EFC tapes).

The only qualifier is I’m only really interested if it was the duck’s nuts when you got it. I have one here which I’m using but it’s so crap it doesn’t even have stereo sound. Some of the VCRs these days if you look up the absolute premium ones can go for $1,000 second hand. So if you paid a bit for yours and know it was a bit of alright I’d appreciate it as tribute!

Actually I'll jump in here. If anyone has an old VCR lying around that they wanna send me (I'll pay for postage) I'm converting old VHSs to digital (including EFC tapes).

The only qualifier is I’m only really interested if it was the duck’s nuts when you got it. I have one here which I’m using but it’s so crap it doesn’t even have stereo sound. Some of the VCRs these days if you look up the absolute premium ones can go for $1,000 second hand. So if you paid a bit for yours and know it was a bit of alright I’d appreciate it as tribute!

I’ve got about 3. I’m unpacking all the old electronic gear too (found 3 PC laptops and an Archos mp4 player). Give me a break. I’ve only been here 14 months.

I want to keep one so I can convert anything else I find.

I’ll let you know what I’ve got. Probably no remotes. They won’t be crappy models.

Son somehow broke my player yesterday. Bit miffed as it was pretty good. I think he’s stuffed something in the cassette slot.

Actually I'll jump in here. If anyone has an old VCR lying around that they wanna send me (I'll pay for postage) I'm converting old VHSs to digital (including EFC tapes).

I’ve got about 3. I’m unpacking all the old electronic gear too (found 3 PC laptops and an Archos mp4 player). Give me a break. I’ve only been here 14 months.

I want to keep one so I can convert anything else I find.

I’ll let you know what I’ve got. Probably no remotes. They won’t be crappy models.

Thanks. Remotes don’t bother me. Once I’m done I’ll probably buy a HDD and we can do some sort of Blitz sneakernet (chain of posting a USB HD around). If I have the patience to continue I’ll probably finish with 100 or so games from the 90s.

@Riolio (or anyone else who knows their stuff) if you have time I might ask you a couple questions about exporting file formats. I’m using software which is probably 6 or 7 yrs old which came with my composite to USB dongle and it exports to mp4 but I have no idea what codecs it uses… I’m talking a 2 hr match in 4:3 ■■■■■■ quality ends up 1.8 GB. The games I download off Aussierules are marginally smaller for 16:9 720p. Not sure how I can get a better export/re-convert after I export.

I take it you’re not an uploader at AusRules Pete?

There is free downloadable software, (VideoRedo, & Staxrip) and extensive, easy to follow guides for their use available if you are, which both produce excellent results, and relatively small file size.

If not, I can access, and PM the links for said things to you later if you like.

But, as you may have noticed there, files of SD quality, (720 x 400) still result in around 400mb per qtr.

You could get away with a little less, (300 mb p/qtr) for older 4:3 aspect games I would think though. Maybe even get them down to a Gig per game w/out sacrificing too much quality.

Let’s face it, after transferring from VHS to digital, there probably won’t be a hell of a lot of quality to lose.

You’re not alone. Noisy old footage (that is continually panning hard) is hard to compress.

The ABC VFL games were really low bitrate and therefore similar issues.

I’m no expert on video stuff.

Other that cutting together stupid YouTube videos, that is.

Other that cutting together stupid YouTube videos, that is.

my fav

Proof the saga can make its way into any thread.

Hahaha, I just threw out my "Bomber Blitz 2000" VHS yesterday. Along with the entire Mighty Ducks trilogy.

And my VCR player.

Did they form a Flying V as you threw them