Vinyl LP's & 45's

Although, mum did have the ABC call of the 1984 Grand Final on Vinyl

Commentators ?
Tim Lane, Drew Morphett, Doug Heywood on Special Comments (or Geoff Leek) ?

If she still has it, you really need to rip it onto your PC, and get it on YouTube.
I wouldn’t be upset if you Sync’d it to the video also.

Failing that, perhaps Mrs Peos would be prepared to lend it out for a short period of time?

Appreciate the advice. :)

There’s a huge degree of sentimentality involved either way. I’d keep one in my house just as a relic/whatever else you want to make it.

I reckon you could also modify them - keep the exterior aesthetic and drop a brand-new turntable in there.

Yeah they are super nice pieces of furniture. Although it would be a big task dropping another turntable in there would be awesome. Can get something good off Gumtree for 100 quid, which is interesting seeing as your crappy ones from JB are almost twice that and don’t even have a counterweight… I got my Grandpa to get one when I wasn’t into vinyl and feel bad now about selling him up the river knowing he could have spent half the money on something a lot better.

Anyway…

Wim’s old player may be ok. One of the critical things will be what type of cartridge it has. If it has a piezoelectric type then it will have more pressure. The mag cartridges need a different preamp curve to the older piezoelectric. The player may have a switch to swap between the two types. It may be possible to put a modern cartridge in, set up the cartridge position, bias and pressure and be good to go. On the other hand it likely does not have suitable adjustments as Peeto alludes to. It’s hard to say anything definite without having a close look at it.

It all depends what you want to achieve. There’s no reason you can’t play old records on it a great many times and enjoy it. Obviously if you want to view records as a quality high-fi format, then that’s no good. But there’s more than one way to enjoy vinyl. Personally I’d just use it and enjoy it.

There’s a huge degree of sentimentality involved either way. I’d keep one in my house just as a relic/whatever else you want to make it.

I reckon you could also modify them - keep the exterior aesthetic and drop a brand-new turntable in there.

Yeah they are super nice pieces of furniture. Although it would be a big task dropping another turntable in there would be awesome. Can get something good off Gumtree for 100 quid, which is interesting seeing as your crappy ones from JB are almost twice that and don’t even have a counterweight… I got my Grandpa to get one when I wasn’t into vinyl and feel bad now about selling him up the river knowing he could have spent half the money on something a lot better.

Anyway…

Wim’s old player may be ok. One of the critical things will be what type of cartridge it has. If it has a piezoelectric type then it will have more pressure. The mag cartridges need a different preamp curve to the older piezoelectric. The player may have a switch to swap between the two types. It may be possible to put a modern cartridge in, set up the cartridge position, bias and pressure and be good to go. On the other hand it likely does not have suitable adjustments as Peeto alludes to. It’s hard to say anything definite without having a close look at it.

It all depends what you want to achieve. There’s no reason you can’t play old records on it a great many times and enjoy it. Obviously if you want to view records as a quality high-fi format, then that’s no good. But there’s more than one way to enjoy vinyl. Personally I’d just use it and enjoy it.

I’m ah…
I’m gonna get screwed on this, aren’t I.

Anyway…

I’m ah…

Hopefully not :slight_smile:

Anyway…

I’m ah…

What you do on it is your business, but make sure it’s sturdy before trying that sort of thing…

Anyway…

I’m ah…

What you do on it is your business, but make sure it’s sturdy before trying that sort of thing…

Haha, don’t give him any ideas.

Actually, it looks pretty solid from the pic.
I’d heed Azza’s advice though…NO advanced moves !

You’re all silly.

Although, mum did have the ABC call of the 1984 Grand Final on Vinyl

Commentators ?
Tim Lane, Drew Morphett, Doug Heywood on Special Comments (or Geoff Leek) ?

If she still has it, you really need to rip it onto your PC, and get it on YouTube.
I wouldn’t be upset if you Sync’d it to the video also.

Failing that, perhaps Mrs Peos would be prepared to lend it out for a short period of time?

Geez, you got me there. I honestly can’t remember. Tim Lane and Morphett I would assume,although I do seem to remember it being Harry Beitzel, so maybe it was even 3AK?

I’m heading up to mums this week, I’ll see if I can dig it up, but don’t hold your breath for the digital remastering / video splicing project.

It’s here, complete with Doug Bigelow all but barracking for Essendon

abc.net.au/news/2013-09-24/finals-flashback-1984-vfl-grand-final/4978162

It's here, complete with Doug Bigelow all but barracking for Essendon

Thanks Swillay.
I guess Lane and Morphett were probably the B team back then.
Always loved Smooth Booth’s radio voice, but Smokey’s higher pitch doesn’t work for me.

Apparently, 3KZ (The Captain & The Major) released one on Vinyl also.
Would love to hear theirs, as they were my faves.

Thanks for the incentive to while away my time on a warm night and revisit my vinyl collection. I've 700+ long players and a hundred or so singles and eps, many since converted to MP3s, I'm looking at them now. My son has said he wants them when I cark it and some of his mates reckon they're cool, which is a bit of a worry when I think about it. I'm deaf so all of this crap about the superiority and warmth of the LP vs the "it's just a bit of fuzz on an inferior format" is honestly beyond me. Nearly everything I have is now up on Youtube, even the obscure stuff and the ■■■■■■ bootlegs. The LP art is basically the only thing making them unique but honestly I didn't buy them for the visuals. The best of them? Here's my top 10. (I've arbitrarily eliminated all greatest hits stuff and the obvious stuff that everyone has - of which I have my fair share.) Not in any order, except for Number 1. 1. Jarrett's 10 album SunBear Concerts- but I put my son off Jarrett by playing him too much so it will probably end up on Ebay where it will fetch a reasonable price and hopefully a owner with taste. 2. Loudon Wainwright 111, his first album and he might be a "motherfooking ahole" according to his daughter but Black Uncle Remus is one of the great pop folk tracks. 3. Steely Dan Countdown to Ecstasy - probably the best of a great bunch and Show Business Kids might yet be the new US National Anthem. 4. Skids Scared to Dance. Follows the Keith Richards LP formula of a single and 10 tracks of ■■■■ but when the single is as good as "Into the Valley" who cares (even if it became a sort of fascist anthem) 5. Springsteen's The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle- the kid before he become an insufferable Captain America - Sandy is his best ballad and New York City Serenade still moves me. The LP even has the references I think to Columbia excised because they arrived in Oz before they were supposed to, which makes it even more special in my eyes. 6. Sinatra at the Sands with the Count Basie Orchestra. I left the LP in the back of the car and the vinyl is warped a bit but it's still the best version of "I've got you under my skin" going round. 7. No Regrets Doug Parkinson - Includes Doug's meritorious version of Dear Prudence and the infectious and truly laughable "Love Gun" - the lyrics were too embarrassing to be a hit but a great hook. 8. Joni Mitchell Blue - Well this one is a staple but it's just so good. If any songsmith deserved the Nobel, it's Joni. 9. Al Di Meola Land of the Midnight Sun- with Chick Corea on the title track. One of those LPs that made me realise I was missing something. 10. Kate and Anna McGarrigle- self titled - Kate was married to Loudon for a while and this pop country album is just soooo pretty it aches. 11. Little Feat - Where do you start? With Sailin' Shoes I reckon and the wonderful Neon Parks' best cover illustration, IMO. 12. Obsecration, the great Lobby Loyde's concept album. Red cover with a great inner sleeve and, unlike a lot of my stuff, in near mint condition. Sans balls of any hue. 13. La Dusseldorf's Viva - Krautrock at its finest with another great inner sleeve. 14. Gary Glitter - self titled. Yep I have it and I still occasionally play it and yeah I know...but I like Caravaggio too. 15. Elvis Costello and the Attractions Get Happy - Before he got boring and mellow, like the rest of us? 16. Brian Cadd self titled- so talented and it's a shame he spent so much time sucking up to the Yanks, who never took to him anyway but this is one of the great unheralded Oz pop albums. 17. Gato Barbieri In Search of the Mystery- A great fiery saxophonist who you have heard if you've seen "Last Tango" but this was before that and before he played disco fillers, this was as pure an approach to free music as I've ever heard. 18. David Ackles American Gothic. Was going to be the next Dylan and never was but I bought his albums and this was his best. The song Montana is his epic and his classic. Actually produced by Elton John's musical partner, Bernie Taupin, but that's where the comparison ends. 19. Parliament Motor Bootie Affair - with Sir Nose devoid of funk on the picture disc - my son wants this so bad! 20. The Pointer Sisters Live At The Opera House- When there were 4 of them and they were quite simply the best live pop or rock act in the world. Believe it or not. 21. Betty Harris In the Saddle- OK I broke by best of rule but this is a great RnB collection and includes the unmissable "Ride Your Pony" 22. Tom Waits Nighthawks at the Diner - before he became everyone's favourite post bop beatnik

So that’s my top 10, never said I could count, and here they are all gathered together for a celebratory pic. And I’d probably change it tomorrow.

PS I have a turntable but I’m down to the last needle.
How’s that for self indulgence!

Wow some kind of eclectic! I like it.

My brother had Land of the midnight sun and Elegant gypsy. Both are great but Mediterranean Sundance off the latter is simply amazing. He and Jonny McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia did a version on their ‘Passion Grace and Fire’ tour in the 80s. We went and saw them at Hamer Hall…

Keith Jarret - only ever had ‘the Koln concert’ - loved that and one track from it appears in an ethereal, floaty, riding-a-Vespa scene in the Italian film Caro Diaro.

Tom Waits. Had all of them up to Heartattack and Vine. Nighthawks is good but you could make a case for all the rest, too. Waits is great in the film “down by Law” too. Funny, just a few days ago I had ‘on the nickel’ on in the car, and my son said “well this is obviously a big fat bl$&&ck guy”, which is exactly what I (racistly) thought when I first heard Blue Valentine in the 70s - how wrong can you be!

Most of my vinyl went west somewhere between houses, I should find out what my bro still has.

*paco

I only have a few and they’re all comedy albums like The Goons, Pete and Dud, Monty Python, Round the Horne, I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again (radio show with Goodies guys, John ‘Otto’ Cleese and a couple of others).

I did have Tom Lehrer but replaced that with CD

No need to worry about sound quality, it’s spoken word.

Puns galore in some of those shows…
There was one great one when t’auld mill was for sale, and Lady Constance wanted to buy it and use it as a kennel for her Dobermans and Rottweilers…sung to the tune of The Mills Are Alive With The Hounds of Munich.

It's here, complete with Doug Bigelow all but barracking for Essendon

Thanks Swillay.
I guess Lane and Morphett were probably the B team back then.
Always loved Smooth Booth’s radio voice, but Smokey’s higher pitch doesn’t work for me.

Apparently, 3KZ (The Captain & The Major) released one on Vinyl also.
Would love to hear theirs, as they were my faves.

You’re welcome of course. I’d love to hear the 3kz too, even though my memories of those guys are very hazy. I’m feeling jealous of PP; how good would it be to kick back with that on vinyl? That’s living large!

Jack Dyer and Ian Major were the best footy callers ever. Would be great to get a mp3 of their call on those GFs and dub it over the top of the crap that Landy and Richards sprouted.

I liked smokey and Biggs. An exchange might go something like…

Smokey: “madden, beautifully down to Watson who handballs back to neeegle. Loooong kick into half forward towards van der haar. But ooohhh, beautiful mark to knights who just used the body magnificently to out- position his opponent…Biggs?”
Biggs: “pushed out!”
Smokey (ironically): “UNBIASED comments from Doug Bigalow.”

Forgot to add.
“And now let’s go around the grounds. Skeeter at the Park”

If you wanna see some pretty bad barracking listen to George Grijlusich (sp) call this Freo derby:

Not that I’m complaining. It’s funny though.

Forgot to add. "And now let's go around the grounds. Skeeter at the Park"
Robbo at the park in my memory

Kevin ‘Skeeter’ Coghlan, I’m certain. At least for some of the smoke and Biggs period. But smoke always intro’ him just as Skeeter…