Vinyl LP's & 45's

I’ve never been into singles, mostly due to the storage factor and having to change them every few minutes. I do have one, from a 1980s Southern Lighting record launch. Haven’t played it in decades. (Guitarist Manny Seddon went on to create the Manny’s empire).

Camberwell market!

4 Likes

Nice haul… I’ve got at least 3 of those!

Edit: at least 4 actually.

1 Like

It’s the gorgeous original sleeve of Dear God, for me.
Reckon I could flip it for $50, if that was the sort of thing I did.

2 Likes

It looks great on a 12" sleeve. I’ve been meaning to pick up an extra of that and mount it in a frame for the music room…

1 Like

I didn’t even get a chance to see the 12”s and albums at that stall.
It was…busy. The Billy albums came from another stall.
But if the singles were any indication of the rest…

Might have to go for a gander.
When/how often is the Camberwell Market on?

2× BCO
1 x Icehouse
1 x XTC
would indicate a fair chance I might find something I like…

1 Like

Every Sunday, I think?
Mrs Wim just wanted to go to K-Mart, and I went, ooh…

Edit: there was other stuff that doesn’t interest me that I know interests others. Johnnies, Cramps, other punk stuff.

Wish we had actual markets over here.

Goddamn Private Investigations is a cracking single.
I was always a fan of the live Alchemy version, but ■■■■■■■…

Level 42 had a US top ten hit.
Hand Up In The Air was not.

Daaaaamn.

Great Wall, Hands Up In The Air, The Best Thing, Dancing In The Storm (among others)… that’s more iconic songs than most bands manage. How these guys were not INXS level big is mind-bending! They had a batch of road-tested songs ready for their 3rd album that I’m convinced would’ve sent them to that next level (I did work experience at Metropolis Studios when they were demoing them… these songs were EVERYTHING I wanted to hear from them). They had Jimmy farking Iovine (fresh from doing U2’s Rattle & Hum) absolutely foaming at the mouth to work with them for fark’s sake.

Record company politics intervened - they were made to ditch the songs (only Holy Water somehow survived, a song the band now barely acknowledge) and were sent to America to record with inappropriate producers (Keith Forsey - who killed Simple Minds, and Don Gehman - who killed Hunters & Collectors and was repsonsible for a great deal of the US-centric dreck that Jimmy Barnes released), and released a mediocre, sterile album which stiffed. Game over…

1 Like

I have plenty of…denied Australian Band whinges.
BCO are way at the top.

I’ve been listening to their acoustic versions of TBT and DITS, they are epic songs.
Regardless of production.

I will never get over this.

But my main ■■■■■ was this…
I don’t understand how Great Wall and Hands gets played on US radio and everyone doesn’t go woooooooaaaaah!

But now I’m taking some humility, because I’ve just looked up that Dear God, probably one of the most important songs of the decade, peaked at #99 in his own country.

Ah… infernal record company meddling yet again. GW was released in its “remixed album version” form for the Seppos (which is massively inferior to the single version). HUITA wasn’t released as a single there - they trialled Her Charity as a radio promo single… and that was that…

The US release of their first two albums was a LONG time after the Aus release. The US record company started to shift their focus to the 2nd album, before they’d really given the 1st album much hang-time.

Remember for a while here you could pick up import versions of CD’s from the counter of service stations? I picked up the US version of These Here Are Crazy Times from a servo somewhere… they cut two songs from it, and replaced Talk About It and The Best Thing with the Jimmy Iovine-produced re-recordings (the latter of which also turned up on the soundtrack album for *Don’t Tell Mom The Babysitter’s Dead").

Goshdarn…they really thought…the US are totally gonna get irony?
I mean…lyrically brilliant song, but…really?!?!

I heard similar things about 10-1.,
You just couldn’t get it.
As soon as it came in to the records shops, it was gone.
Never charted, though.

Seriously.
I’m friggin’ Fifty.

These guys are getting screwed.

Had Smith Street up here 4 weeks ago and they sold heaps of LPs to the faithful. They were in cracking form so that helped a lot.

1 Like