Vinyl LP's & 45's

You’ve got Jimmy Iovine hounding you to record an album.
You’ve got a bunch of great road-tested songs ready to go. Hell even the demos were just about album quality.
It’s a laydown misere!!
How tha fuq did the record company manage the fark things up so spectacularly badly!!!
JUST HOW!!!
I don’t get it…

1 Like

Im not buying records for a while. Trying to save up for an amp…but this thread is giving me withdrawals…bad

3 Likes

TIA.

Shirley said it best, this is a hobby.

i grew up a bit after bco’s time. i’d heard of them but didn’t really know much of their work.

until i saw them at st kilda festival circa 2010. and fk they were good. on semi regular rotation since. definitely feels like they should a bigger part of the conversation around aussie classics

New acquisition. Package was for vinyl, cd and t-shirt (for jnr). Came with a poster, stickers, Ovalteenies, 2 dinosaurs and a thank you note :grinning:

2 Likes

Is anyone here after a decent beginner level turntable? I’m back in Melbourne at the mo and found my Stanton STR8-60 in a wardrobe. I bought it new and used it for maybe less than a year, then moved o/s and it’s been stored for 20 years. I was gonna post it o/s back then but it’s a heavy bugger and would’ve cost hundreds to send so I just gave up on it.

If anyone’s interested, and can pick it up in the north west over the next week before I leave, I just plugged it in and tested the motor and it all seems great. All the parts are there and in great condition. DM if you wanna know more or talk price, I don’t wanna clog this thread with it all.

1 Like

Seems like the thread for it to me.
Does it have speakers or is it just a turntable?

Just the turntable. There’s a pre-amp switch I’ve kept in the box also.

my copy of 3 feet high and rising arrived today

i am very happy

1 Like

That’s nothing. Nickelback have released several albums filled with sh*t.

9 Likes

joy-dadum

5 Likes

Have a question for those that would know. Have an opportunity to pick up Ramones-End of the Century for around $30. Is it worth getting? I don’t have anything of theirs and don’t really like punk, but they are always being touted as a great band. Is this album one that defines them and therefore I should buy, or is it one of their less popular?

It’s an odd one. Phil Spector produced it and they lost some of their charm in the production. It has a few known tracks on it but is far from their peak. Their first four albums are all rippers, and this number five. I’d listen to it on YouTube or Spotify and see what you feel. $30 sounds fine, but would depend on which pressing and the condition of it.

1 Like

Testing out my new acrylic platter. Wowee, takes out all the motor hum vibration noise completely, and the sound is crisp. Got my setup just where I want it now.

6 Likes

Funny how things work out sometimes. Someone local was selling some KISS albums. I put in an offer of $50 and they knocked it back which I kind of expected. Put in the same amount for half of the albums and got crickets.

So while waiting I looked through marketplace and found another local selling a bunch of albums as a batch for @$14 per record… Asked if he would seperate and sell me his 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 and Mars Needs Guitars. He said ok and asked for a pineapple I countered with 2 lobsters and he agreed. Then asked if I wanted another Oils album, Place Without a Postcard. I offered $55 for all three and he agreed.

So long story short, no KISS but 2 x Midnight Oil and a Hoodoo Gurus for essentially the same money. Happy with that.

4 Likes

That’s a coincidence, I just found and bought a cheap Japanese copy of this yesterday!

2 Likes

Side one of Mars Needs Guitars is one of those all killer, no filler scenarios.
Side two is a bit of a letdown though for me. Outside of the title track I don’t find a lot that’s memorable.
That side one though…

3 Likes

I have that amp too. Something about the sound, it’s only 30 watt but sounds great . Particularly love the loudness switch
I have had to buy another one as the transformer went.
Then my new one got volume crackle but o sorted that with some contact spray lubricant