Vinyl LP's & 45's

Well after that today and being home alone going to crank this

Amazing , the discography from the first LP into the second, antipathy

5 Likes

Vinyl nation on SBS now

1 Like

So just picked up The Teskey Brothers - Half Mile Harvest. What a very good record it is.
Possibly paid a little more than I should have, but they rarely seem to come on the 2nd hand market here and I wanted an Aussie press, not Europe or USA.

2 Likes

Sure, the original vinyl release has 2 songs less than the CD, but when one side of a record has all of Pictures Of You, Lovesong, Lullaby, and Fascination Street on it, you don’t complain.

3 Likes

The world seems heavy at the moment. Im in full escape mode in the shed. Record Therapy in full effect. Still on my 70s Japanese Jazz/Funk kick. Ungodly volume…its helping.

Silk Road. Rock Joint Cither. By Hiromasa Suzuki. 1973AD.

4 Likes

10 Likes

Something in your (and my) wheelhouse @mrjez?

I regretted not getting the clear vinyl English Settlement so may stump up for this… even though I just don’t need it at all… already have D&W on vinyl, tape and CD several times over…

1 Like

I’m happy with an original Japanese pressing of this, it sounds great, so I won’t look to get this, but I like these quality reissues they do.

I think you just helped me decide what record to put on this evening! I’m gonna have Helicopter in my head all day now.

1 Like

Oh heli, oh heli, oh heli…

1 Like

Ya know… when I stop and think about it, I probably can afford to do without this time around…

3 Likes

Wowee!

Been flat as a ■■■■ carters hat lately. Spent the afternoon in the shed.

I wouldn’t wanna clog up the mental health thread, but I’ll happily populate this one.

Loudness…It certainly helps. Copious volume, equalled only by beer intake. Great way to spend a Saturday.

Wo Fat. Zack Wild doing Sabbath live. Youngblood Super Cult. And some live Neil Young. Oh yeah…

8 Likes

I’m not a guitarist, so it’s difficult for me to express technically.
I find ‘Old Man’ very interesting musically.
Never tire of listening to that song.

Obviously, the lyrics are great along with his unique voice.

1 Like

Excellent album! Had a real influx of younger people asking for XTC recently at the shop…kids gonna be ok! One thing Baker, i would highly highly recommend taking the LPs out of those 80’s heavy PVC jackets (for the copy on the right at least)… And any others in your collection!

1 Like

What is the issue with the PVC jackets, @crumbs ?

I have them on all my albums and thought they were a good way to a) stop the cover getting scuffed and b) help to keep dust out.

1 Like

Well it depends greatly on climate - but often the PVC leaves a ‘burn’ (also called ‘ghosting’) on the actual vinyl itself. It’s very common in Australia due to climate (and potentially vinyl made in Australia when we had our own industry) and that often those sleeves were considered the best and most expense way of keeping them safe. I’ve seen DISASTERS when going to buy collections. Almost want to cry thinking about it…

5 Likes

It penetrates the cardboard cover, possibly a paper insert and the polythene or paper inner sleeve to do that damage? Well tie me to an anthill and smear my ears with jam!

I must say that I’ve never noticed any such damage to my vinyl.

1 Like

People often leave shrink wrap on to preserve value or to leave a hype sticker affixed, I always take that off any record I buy and put it in a fresh outer sleeve.

1 Like

Hmmm… interesting. Never knew that. As with @OBITV, I was always trained to keep the records I really cared about in the thick plastic sleeves, for protective purposes. When I was first buying records, them being in a plastic sleeve (and you actually being allowed to keep the plastic sleeve) was the indicator of a really good import shop!

It’s actually the one on the LHS that’s in the thick plastic sleeve. The one on the RHS was bought at a record fair a few years and has only a film of plastic wrapped around it which is cello-taped closed at the back (presumably done by the vendor).

The only reason that one isn’t in a thick sleeve is because I don’t have any more. All my other XTC LP’s, 7" and 12" singles are in the thick plastic sleeves, as are a handful of other artists that I did (or still do) ardently collect.

I’ll have to do a re-think…

1 Like