Watching AFL on a TV without foxtel

Not my experience, the ACCC can only act within the scope of its legislation.
And some government Departments are forced to hire private sector lawyers, even though the internal ones may be better. The Vic government had a big budget blow out with that and went back to internal advisors in some areas.

Not my experience, the ACCC can only act within the scope of its legislation. And some government Departments are forced to hire private sector lawyers, even though the internal ones may be better. The Vic government had a big budget blow out with that and went back to internal advisors in some areas.

Without trying to turn this into an ACCC thread when have you ever seen them go after anyone of note and get a decent result?
Oil companies? Nope
Afl? Nope
Ticketek? Nope
Anything on 3rd-party forcing? Nope
Pace or sunny queen? Nope

anyway, not important.

Best way to do it is to go to a pub or there used to be certain cards that would give you all the channels. It would pick up a feed in some European country, a mate or two of mine have it and they watch EPL without optus. Pretty sure they said it also has AFL on it.

There are a few wins not cited. All there on the site. I particularly valued the changes to to the consumer guarantee scheme, also the petrol pricing watch and scam watch assistance. As I said, it cannot go beyond its legislative powers. It is also handicapped , like ASIC, by the requirement that a proportion of its budget must be self funded. That may dictate an assessment of what might be achievable within its powers. I would love it to have the powers to take on the AFL for its abuse of dominant position. But I donā€™t blame the ACCC for that - I blame the legislators.

If you can watch for free on smartphone, just mirror to a smart TV, or grab a MHL adaptor for older school TVā€™s

If you can watch for free on smartphone, just mirror to a smart TV, or grab a MHL adaptor for older school TV's

Weā€™ve been through that, Vince. Low-res.

So there is no free streaming links for AFL?

I have a telstra phone and I was told that I could not watch it on my iPad. My ipad has no data plan it just goes off the school's wifi and my home wifi. Turns out I had to link my iPad to my phone via a hotspot and it has connected. I was trying to watch our game last week and it just cut out part the way though the final quarter (when we were still in front I think). By the time I got it all going I think it was just a small video on the iPad ie phone sized view.

I assume you cannot watch the footy through the Channel 7 app? Although if you can, I suspect it will only work on the games seven is covering and not necessarily the ones you may want to watch, perhaps you could pick up a game shown interstate through Mate though? That might be handy.

The ACCC is approachable on such issues - user friendly site

ACCC is the weakest organisation/watchdog there is. And their lawyers arenā€™t too bright either (assuming they still use the same firm)

Maybe but they must be better than the AFLPAā€™s lawyers.

Not my experience, the ACCC can only act within the scope of its legislation. And some government Departments are forced to hire private sector lawyers, even though the internal ones may be better. The Vic government had a big budget blow out with that and went back to internal advisors in some areas.

Without trying to turn this into an ACCC thread when have you ever seen them go after anyone of note and get a decent result?
Oil companies? Nope
Afl? Nope
Ticketek? Nope
Anything on 3rd-party forcing? Nope
Pace or sunny queen? Nope

anyway, not important.

Best way to do it is to go to a pub or there used to be certain cards that would give you all the channels. It would pick up a feed in some European country, a mate or two of mine have it and they watch EPL without optus. Pretty sure they said it also has AFL on it.

They went after Steam and won. But yeah not much else.

Itā€™s actually laughable how much money Foxtel could get if they offered all the sports channels only in a package that was 30 or 25 bucks a month. Or just the footy for 10 or 15.

Idiots.

7 Likes
Been trying to hunt down a solution to this also.

Putting aside the streaming websites that have been mentioned in other threads. (I donā€™t have any links on hand, others may want to contribute this).

I have discovered a way of watching AFL Live full screen on desktop. With all of the controversy of the pathetic AFL app on iPad showing iPhone size footage, a clever fuka (technical term) has released a plugin for Kodi.

So yes, youā€™ll need a little knowledge of computers (or at very least be able to follow instructions). Install Kodi on your desktop (just do a google search).

Then install inside kodi the AU catchup TV plugin. In there (yes there are step by step instructions) you can add AFL Live app and others like abc catch up, sbs, channel 7 etc.

Now to be able to watch the AFL Live app, its just like using the iPad app, you need an account and pay for the match. The benefit obviously is to 1, watch on a big screen/monitor, 2, push/airplay to your bigscreen TV (yet to test personally).

I am also yet to try this with a live match as I only installed all this yesterday, however I tested a replay of our first JTL game and the quality was excellent on a 27" 5k imac.

links:
Link to the AFL live plugin:
andybotting.com/afl-plugins-for-xbmc
Catch-up TV AU repository for XBMC/Kodi:
https://github.com/xbmc-catchuptv-au/repo
Kodi:
https://kodi.tv/download/

UPDATE Tested airplay to appletv, it works. Audio synced with the video, there was some frame drop though. Iā€™m not sure if that was a airplay issue or a streaming issue. Iā€™m thinking more airplay as I didnā€™t notice such frame drops on the desktop.

Next step is to test a live game.

Thanks Teebee

I set this up on Windows PC - I have an AFL Live pass that I purchased, and I put in my username/password into the plug-in. Works fine for replays (very good quality), but not for live. (Get a AFL Video 1.1.5 ā€œNo JSON object could be decodedā€). Did you have any luck with live?

It's actually laughable how much money Foxtel could get if they offered all the sports channels only in a package that was 30 or 25 bucks a month. Or just the footy for 10 or 15.

Idiots.

Try just a season pass per sport on Foxtel Go, how ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hard is it for these wankers.

It's actually laughable how much money Foxtel could get if they offered all the sports channels only in a package that was 30 or 25 bucks a month. Or just the footy for 10 or 15.

Idiots.

Try just a season pass per sport on Foxtel Go, how ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hard is it for these wankers.

Itā€™s not hard. Itā€™s how the AFL sells the rights to everything thatā€™s stupid.

Idiots.

Itā€™s not hard. Itā€™s how the AFL sells the rights to everything thatā€™s stupid.

As you know itā€™s all negotiation. It would be a combination of AFL idiocy/nearsightedness and Foxtel idiocy/greed wanting people to upsell into bigger packages as a result of wanting the footy. It could easily be done.

I found a way to watch Foxtel games, for free, in HD, on big screen TV's.

I walk 100m to the local sports club, buy a beer and sit at the bar.

Forget AFL Live. Whilst everyone is trying to game the system and get free streams, Incoming has found a way to buy a beer and not get charged!

1 Like

Umm, no actually,

But I am hopeful that Wannabe Jnr will find a way and let us know.

Thanks Teebee

I set this up on Windows PC - I have an AFL Live pass that I purchased, and I put in my username/password into the plug-in. Works fine for replays (very good quality), but not for live. (Get a AFL Video 1.1.5 ā€œNo JSON object could be decodedā€). Did you have any luck with live?

NP, going to try today with a live match. Testing with the North/Hawks before our match. If it craps out, Iā€™ll be off to the pub.

Thanks Teebee

UPDATE

Great news! Got it working.

The author of the plugin has updated the AFL Live plugin only hours ago. Ver. 1.7.7

What you need to do is find the Catch-up TV AU repository and update that first. (Select your add-ons -> Click the little unbox symbol in the top left corner -> install from repository -> find XMBC catchupTV AU Add-ons and right click it, update) this should update the afl add-on automatically. If not, select it manually and update it.

So yes, its working, no, not perfectly. A lot of frame rate dropping but its completely watchable.

i went to watch the replays on my samsung tv, as there used to be the match center app. even that has disappeared. wtf.

i know most of the replays end up on youtube, but the functionality of that app was OK with replays segmented into goals/highlights etc.

jerks.

what about subscribing to an overseas digital package and running through a VPN?

1 Like

I cast from any freely available steaming sites via Chromecast to my 50" TV. Its not quite SD but itā€™s pretty good for free. Screw giving a cent to the AFL.