WEG Premiership posters- estimates

Was recently going through several thousand pieces of sports stuff hoarded by my father over the past 30+ years and happened across two WEG premiership posters from 1984 and 1985. My first thought was to rush out and get them framed up for the pool room but am wondering if anyone on here is knowledgeable enough to put a value on them. I’m thinking if they’re mass produced and only $20 items then why blow hundreds on pro framing. Very good knick, folded, but no fading or tears.

What about 20 years from now? 30 years? How many will be still in good nick? Framing them will help to preserve them. Plus they’re awesome, even if they are still a dime a dozen.

Yeah, just checked eBay, which I should have done before I posted. Silly money being asked in some instances but given their sentimental value I’m gonna go the lash and get them done up nicely now.

I’ve got the '84 Saturday Herald Weg poster with what looks like K Sheedy sitting on a missile, Slim Pickens from Dr Strangelove style and the '85 Weekend Herald Weg poster with the angry jet fighter. Both block mounted and admired every day.

I’ve got these '84 & '85 original posters (and a couple of others).
An expert said they will be worth something in a few short years but under no circumstance have them laminated.
Guess what I had done the day before!

Pride of my collection is the 2000 WEG poster, signed by EVERY player in the team and Sheeds, who even personalised it for me. Awesome.

I've got these '84 & '85 original posters (and a couple of others). An expert said they will be worth something in a few short years but under no circumstance have them laminated. Guess what I had done the day before!

I had a pair of very nice Cold Chisel posters from a couple of early pub gigs laminated before I knew better. That stuff goes for crazy, crazy money on eBay but laminated, not so much. Lesson learned!

Why is the laminating considered de valuing? Preserves the thing & protects it.

Seems counter intuitive to me.

It’s the heat treatment.

Have a look at national libraries too and you’ll see why they don’t laminate anything important either.

Is that it is it?

After that post I had the thought it might be that it was difficult, (impossible?) to verify authenticity, and not a copy, without ruining it?

I still have no idea how I managed to pick up a laminated signed-by-everyone 1993 Mitre 10 premiership photo poster — for $10.

Is that it is it?

After that post I had the thought it might be that it was difficult, (impossible?) to verify authenticity, and not a copy, without ruining it?

Laminating acids cause the colour to fade and turn a pinkish hue.Also it looses " the feel" of handling an original .The local historical society laminated most of their old tourist posters by Trompf and also Northfield.

It’s the heat treatment.

Have a look at national libraries too and you’ll see why they don’t laminate anything important either.

Damn. My 2000 WEG poster is laminated. Not worried about price but if it’s going to turn into a sack of dog ■■■■ in 10 years I’ll be most displeased.

A friend of my brother, did a framed collage of every essendon flag by just sourcing the images of weg posters and mounting them as one and framing them. Looks spectacular. Ill see if I can get a photo, great idea and cheap

I’ve got the 93 WEG poster signed by Longy, the norm smith medlist.

Not for sale, ever in my lifetime