Weight loss

Keep it simple. Keep it realistic. And if your diet requires cheat days, it is beyond you.

Even the best give themselves cheat days.

You can afford more cheat meals when you’re taking horse test boosters

If you have a chance listen to Joe Rogan and Mark Sisson podcast (3 hrs) so download onto our mp3 player

Listen a couple of times to the podcast, he talks alot about nutrition - very interesting and insightful - especially around the exercise (he maxs the gym to twice a week)

Isn’t he a comedian?

An MMA fighter, and well known for his UFC commentary, and reality tv hosting is Rogan. I used to like him, before I listened to a podcast of his, and found out what a complete effing jerk he is.

I’m not sure where you got the fighter part from
Obviously well known in MMA circles for his work with the UFC, however I think you’ll find he’s never stepped into the ring (or octagon)

edit
My 2 cents regarding who you should/n’t listen to

• if you’re not involved within the fitness community, and know of the person, don’t listen to them. If you’ve heard of them they’re likely to be famous because they sell themselves well or are known for other reasons rather than actually being good at the health/fitness side of things
  • Definitely don’t listen to high level athletes. Most are heavily reliant on natural talent and direction from other people; find out who the other people are and listen to them
  • If a guy claims to be an expert but only lists his own accomplishments, or the accomplishment of one client/athlete odds are he’s full of ■■■■
  • If their social media page is full of posts of themselves or selfies ignore vehemently
  • If you want big biceps, seek out the guy with a 190 IQ not the meathead with 16" arms (Louie Simmons quote/paraphrase)
  • most people you’ll ever aspire to look like are using gear (particularly actors)

From Wiki:

Martial arts[edit]
Joe Rogan
Rank 2nd Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo
Blue Belt in Judo
Black Belt in 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu under Eddie Bravo
Black Belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Jean Jacques Machado
During high school, Rogan was a practitioner of taekwondo and gained a black belt at age 15.[32] He became the Massachusetts full contact taekwondo champion for four consecutive years. He started judo at the age of 20 and after a year of training received blue belt.[33] In 1996, Rogan began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Carlson Gracie at his school in Hollywood, California.[32] He is a black belt in Eddie Bravo’s 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, a style of no-gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu,[34] and a black belt in gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Jean Jacques Machado.[35] He was also a kickboxer, holding an amateur record of 2-1.[32]
Religion[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rogan

Well there you go
Probably should have read past the headers on his page lol

I lost just on 20kgs about five years ago through a very strict exercise and diet regime. It's slowly all come back on as the discipline slipped. It's very easy to give up and I'd got to the very sad point last week where instead of being able to do the 300 challenge without too much trouble I was barely capable of doing 5 minutes on a cross-trainer. This thread inspired me to get off my fat ■■■■, embrace exercise again and, trust me - it's they key- watch what I eat. Thanks guys!

Your problem wasn’t discipline. Your problem was the diet you were on sucked. If you can’t do it forever it sucks. Fullstop. If your TV stops working you don’t blame yourself, same with stupid diets.

I was wondering how long you’d hold out.

Shelton10 I think you’re talking about a diet that is temporary - I’m going to stick to X calories for Y weeks. And it’s where a lot of people fall over in their efforts. What megz is talking about is a diet that is intended to be stuck to for the rest of your life. If you have an eating plan that you cannot see yourself maintaining forever then of course your discipline is going to slip up.

(before you chime back in megz, I couldn’t think of a better word than “diet” for both explanations)

Too many people set themselves up for failure when they start. " I plan to lose X kgs" will probably lead to either failure or putting the weight back on. “I am going to change my eating and exercise habits for good” is a better approach - weight loss is just a by-product of that change, rather than being the primary focus.

I wasn’t thinking of a temporary diet, but a permanent one. But I think you’re right that the word “diet” covers many different things. I was using it to mean an eating regime that involves watching how much food you put in and matching it to the amount of energy that you burn – or, if you’re trying to lose weight, making sure that it’s consistently less than the amount of energy you burn. And the point I was trying to make was that in today’s world that requires discipline and conscious restraint. If you’re starting from a position where you’ve been overeating, and eating crap, for 20 years and you’re grossly obese and probably incapable of sustained exercise, then the amount of effort required will be great, because it has to involve changing the habits of a lifetime and establishing completely new ones – and dragging spouse, children and friends along with you. If, like me, you don’t enjoy continually overeating and you’ve been brought up on a pretty good diet and you’re only relatively a little overweight, then the effort required is not so great. But even for someone like me, who doesn’t find sticking more or less within the limit too hard and quite enjoys the exercise component, it’s very easy to let slip once in a while, and the more you let slip, the more you’re tempted to do it again.

From what I’ve observed, for people who are severely overweight and go on a crash diet of some kind, what happens is that they stick to the diet religiously at first and the weight just falls off – 3 kg in a week!! – but after a month or two or six, when the weight isn’t dropping so quickly and the cupcakes are looking extremely tempting, the discipline cracks, and that’s the end of the penny section.

I hesitate to predict what Megz would say, but I’d guess that she’d say to a truly obese 30 year old that if he/she really wants to get back to a decent body shape and BMI, the important things are to realise a) that it’s a long journey involving a complete reshaping of your eating and exercise habits, b) losing weight necessarily involves eating less and/or exercising more, c) there’s no point adopting an all protein or paleo diet or something like that because it’s not practicable for the rest of your life, and d) that you need to be prepared to face temptation and say no – if not always, then almost always.

If you have a chance listen to Joe Rogan and Mark Sisson podcast (3 hrs) so download onto our mp3 player

Listen a couple of times to the podcast, he talks alot about nutrition - very interesting and insightful - especially around the exercise (he maxs the gym to twice a week)

Isn’t he a comedian?

An MMA fighter, and well known for his UFC commentary, and reality tv hosting is Rogan. I used to like him, before I listened to a podcast of his, and found out what a complete effing jerk he is.

I’m not sure where you got the fighter part from
Obviously well known in MMA circles for his work with the UFC, however I think you’ll find he’s never stepped into the ring (or octagon)

edit
My 2 cents regarding who you should/n’t listen to

• if you’re not involved within the fitness community, and know of the person, don’t listen to them. If you’ve heard of them they’re likely to be famous because they sell themselves well or are known for other reasons rather than actually being good at the health/fitness side of things
  • Definitely don’t listen to high level athletes. Most are heavily reliant on natural talent and direction from other people; find out who the other people are and listen to them
  • If a guy claims to be an expert but only lists his own accomplishments, or the accomplishment of one client/athlete odds are he’s full of ■■■■
  • If their social media page is full of posts of themselves or selfies ignore vehemently
  • If you want big biceps, seek out the guy with a 190 IQ not the meathead with 16" arms (Louie Simmons quote/paraphrase)
  • most people you’ll ever aspire to look like are using gear (particularly actors)

From Wiki:

Martial arts[edit]
Joe Rogan
Rank 2nd Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo
Blue Belt in Judo
Black Belt in 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu under Eddie Bravo
Black Belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Jean Jacques Machado
During high school, Rogan was a practitioner of taekwondo and gained a black belt at age 15.[32] He became the Massachusetts full contact taekwondo champion for four consecutive years. He started judo at the age of 20 and after a year of training received blue belt.[33] In 1996, Rogan began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Carlson Gracie at his school in Hollywood, California.[32] He is a black belt in Eddie Bravo’s 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, a style of no-gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu,[34] and a black belt in gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Jean Jacques Machado.[35] He was also a kickboxer, holding an amateur record of 2-1.[32]
Religion[edit]

I
  • If food is a comfort/de-stress/sign-of-love-and-affection kind of thing, go and see a psychologist if you’re serious about changing your life. For me this has been the difference between this round of weight loss and those in the past (where I ended up piling it back on).

/blockquote>

was gonna mention something like this. if eating food is an emotional response, tis best to probably seek out help on that issue and hopefully it solves both issues.

I tried the “get a stomach ulcer” diet last year. lost 20 odd kilos in 2 months. would not recommend getting an illness to lose weight.

I lost just on 20kgs about five years ago through a very strict exercise and diet regime. It's slowly all come back on as the discipline slipped. It's very easy to give up and I'd got to the very sad point last week where instead of being able to do the 300 challenge without too much trouble I was barely capable of doing 5 minutes on a cross-trainer. This thread inspired me to get off my fat ■■■■, embrace exercise again and, trust me - it's they key- watch what I eat. Thanks guys!

Your problem wasn’t discipline. Your problem was the diet you were on sucked. If you can’t do it forever it sucks. Fullstop. If your TV stops working you don’t blame yourself, same with stupid diets.

Megz, you’ve said that sort of thing before, and I know you’re a dietitian, but don’t you think that for many people, keeping their weight under control really does require some discipline?

In the past many people didn’t have enough to eat, food availability depended on the season, junk food didn’t exist, advertising of food didn’t exist, TV didn’t exist to entertain us and keep us indoors, and the way you got to the shop to buy food was by walking there.

Life’s different now. Food is everywhere, portion sizes are immense, we’re bombarded with saturation advertising telling us to have a Mars bar or a sweet sport drink or a “snack” (the eqivalent of a small meal) mid-morning at Maccas. Malnutrition is (with a few exceptions) a thing of the past, obesity is an epidemic and getting worse, and the average Australian is significantly overweight.

In the face of all that temptation, don’t you think that many people need to make a real effort in order to lose weight and get themselves in reasonable shape? And that part of that effort has to involve deciding on a sensible eating regime – i.e., a diet – and sticking to it – i.e., discipline? And if the person, after doing this for a period of time, perhaps years, begins to succumb to the temptation to miss days of exercise, have that chocolate muffin or whatever, is that always the fault of the diet the person chose to follow? Or is it sometimes that the person gets a bit slack and stops following it – i.e., lack of discipline?

I’m not saying that there are no bad weightloss diets. The protein only, no oil, paleo, Pritikin, no doubt many others, they’re all essentially fad diets and hopeless for the long term. Two Dogs didn’t say that he was on one of those, he said he was on a strict diet regime, and discipline slipped. My 1450 calories a day is a diet regime, and if I get slack over Christmas and bust the limit day after day and put on weight, I regard that as my fault, not the diet’s.

In today’s society keeping control of your weight really does require constant attention to what you eat and how much exercise you do. There’s no effortless diet, and wherever effort is required, there’s always the temptation to relax, just this once. And just this once more. And again.

Keep it simple. Keep it realistic. And if your diet requires cheat days, it is beyond you.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true.

I dropped 10kg a few years back using a strict diet with one cheat day. I started out pigging out on KFC etc on the cheat day, but after a few weeks, you start feeling guilty about it and it begins to regulate itself till in the end, your cheat day ends up being a bit of flake from the fish and chip shop which you have with a salad anyway.

As has been mentioned here… find the way that works for you.

Keep it simple.
Keep it realistic.
And if your diet requires cheat days, it is beyond you.

Isn’t he a comedian?

You’d need to listen to more than one podcast of his to really get a sense of him. He’s alright, but his podcast his awesome because of his guests, not him.

Anyway, i don’t think anybody was suggesting to listen to Joe Rogan for advice on weight loss. (In fact, as he is a peddler of snake oil and miracle supplements, I’d suggest not listening to him at all on that topic.)

His guest last week, Mark Sisson, is a fitness writer and former tiathlete. Big supporter of the Paleo diet. It was a very interesting podcast, and relevant to what’s being discussed here.

There's no effortless diet
Yes there is.

I think people are too proud to admit that the solution to weight loss is absurdly simple and has been staring them in the face the whole time.

I was wondering how long you’d hold out.

Shelton10 I think you’re talking about a diet that is temporary - I’m going to stick to X calories for Y weeks. And it’s where a lot of people fall over in their efforts. What megz is talking about is a diet that is intended to be stuck to for the rest of your life. If you have an eating plan that you cannot see yourself maintaining forever then of course your discipline is going to slip up.

(before you chime back in megz, I couldn’t think of a better word than “diet” for both explanations)

Too many people set themselves up for failure when they start. " I plan to lose X kgs" will probably lead to either failure or putting the weight back on. “I am going to change my eating and exercise habits for good” is a better approach - weight loss is just a by-product of that change, rather than being the primary focus.

Isn’t he a comedian?

1 Like

HCLF

Isn’t he a comedian?

He’s also a steroid user and conspiracy theorist believer. He’s a lot of things.

FWIW I weighed about 75kgs at 163 cm during year 12. I wasn't eating unhealthy food, but was eating heaps and getting stuck into the binge drinking. I reduced my portion sizes and minimised the drinking. Lost most of the weight within a couple of years, and have been floating around the 60 mark for around five years.

Well done.

I can tell you it’s a lot easier to take weight off when you’re young than when you’re, um, the opposite of young. Basically, after about 40 or 45, it’s hard work.

My metabolism slowed drastically at about 25

Thats because your testosterone starts to dry up & you start to prepare yourself for death by getting heavy as ■■■■ to play one last joke on your pallbearing mates.

FWIW I weighed about 75kgs at 163 cm during year 12. I wasn't eating unhealthy food, but was eating heaps and getting stuck into the binge drinking. I reduced my portion sizes and minimised the drinking. Lost most of the weight within a couple of years, and have been floating around the 60 mark for around five years.

Well done.

I can tell you it’s a lot easier to take weight off when you’re young than when you’re, um, the opposite of young. Basically, after about 40 or 45, it’s hard work.

FWIW I weighed about 75kgs at 163 cm during year 12. I wasn’t eating unhealthy food, but was eating heaps and getting stuck into the binge drinking. I reduced my portion sizes and minimised the drinking. Lost most of the weight within a couple of years, and have been floating around the 60 mark for around five years.

Isn’t he a comedian?

Yeah, it’s a very interesting listen.

Dr Rhonda Patrick is worth looking up too in regards to this topic.