Weight loss

Go you fat bastards.
Getting rid of the pork is the best thing you will ever do.
Kudos to every one of you.

No mention of the 5-2 diet, where essentially you fast for 2 days a week, and don't follow a strict regime the other 5.

They say the 2 days of fasting every week (600 calories) do wonders.

I nearly mentioned it, but didnā€™t want to confuse things. Itā€™s been on Catalyst & in a couple of Mosley docoā€™s, which are really good to watch if you have trouble with weight/health if youā€™re a middle aged guy, as he experiments & tries out diets etc on his 50 yr old self - and it seems to have really good results.

Also, the intense training regime was impressive, resulting in ā€¦ was it 20 minutes of actual exercise per week?

Hereā€™s the one on fasting, the otherā€™s all seem equally available online.

dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms

If you have a chance listen to Joe Rogan and Mark Sisson podcast (3 hrs) so download onto our mp3 player

Listen a couple of times to the podcast, he talks alot about nutrition - very interesting and insightful - especially around the exercise (he maxs the gym to twice a week)

No mention of the 5-2 diet, where essentially you fast for 2 days a week, and donā€™t follow a strict regime the other 5.

They say the 2 days of fasting every week (600 calories) do wonders.

IIFYM BRAH

Lay off the diets AN. Youā€™re gorgeous just the way you are.

The app tracks other things as well as calories. I watch protein and fibre and try to eat the recommended amounts every day. Unfortunately the fibre-rich foods tend to have a lot of calories, and fruit has a lot of sugar as well.
You, my friend, need to get yourself acquainted with Chobani yoghurt (the 0.5% fat version). One serve (180g) gives you 17.6g of protein for only 104 calories.

Thank you. Iā€™ve never heard of it and I donā€™t know where to get it, but Iā€™ll look out for it.

Nutritionally I guess it would make a great combination with sashimi.

The app tracks other things as well as calories. I watch protein and fibre and try to eat the recommended amounts every day. Unfortunately the fibre-rich foods tend to have a lot of calories, and fruit has a lot of sugar as well.
You, my friend, need to get yourself acquainted with Chobani yoghurt (the 0.5% fat version). One serve (180g) gives you 17.6g of protein for only 104 calories.

I wasnā€™t grossly overweight but Iā€™d crept up over the years (Iā€™m ancient, Noonan-class ancient) and have a horrible family history of heart problems. And the fat I carried was all around the stomach, exactly the worst place. So I decided I should lose 6 to 7 kg, which I guessed would bring me down from a 38 waistband to 34. That was two years ago.

The good news is that I lost nearly 6 kg and now can wear 34 trousers, although Iā€™m really a 35. The better news is that Iā€™ve kept it off, except that this Christmas was disastrous and I put over 2 back on, which Iā€™ve since just about managed to shed. Iā€™m now working towards losing a couple more to get properly down to my original target.

My method has been the classic combination of exercise and diet. Iā€™ve settled into a routine of two days cardio (1 hour, running or cross trainer), one day resistance, and one day off; repeat. And for diet the method is to count calories and keep within my limit. I have a sedentary job so itā€™s 1450 calories per day, plus credits for whatever exercise I do. Thatā€™s supposed to lose me half a kg per week, but as I usually break the limit by 100 or 200, it keeps me level. If I keep strictly within the limit then I do lose weight.

The most useful aids Iā€™ve got are the Myfitnesspal and Mapmyfitness apps, and a heart rate monitor. Iā€™m going to get a Fitbit Surge HR, which calculates calories burned in exercise and syncs them into Myfitnesspal, to adjust your limit for the day.

It was surprisingly easy to start using Myfitnesspal, which is a calorie counter, and I found it fascinating to learn how many calories various foods have. I now eat far less bread and potatoes than I used to. Alcohol is also a killer: three glasses of wine and I can kiss goodbye to the limit for that day. On the other hand, I love sashimi, and itā€™s a great lunch with lots of protein and not too many calories.

Iā€™ve learnt to be very careful of the ā€œspecial treatā€. If I have a donut or brownie one day, itā€™s ten times as hard to resist having one the next day, and once they become regular, the scales reveal the consequences.

I intend to keep doing this indefinitely. The exercise is good for me and my arteries and blood pressure, and itā€™s great not to catch sight of myself unexpectedly in a reflection and see the belly as the most prominent feature. I donā€™t really miss the bread and potatoes, and the reduced alcohol has benefits that far outweigh the detriments.

I agree with those who say to avoid the fad diets, and donā€™t expect that your initial rate of loss will continue. And itā€™s true that what works for one wonā€™t necessarily work for another. But if you really want to lose weight then you can. You just have to realise that youā€™re going to have to do some things very differently from the way youā€™ve done them before, and in particular youā€™re going to have to get used to not having various things, solid and liquid, that youā€™ve been used to having and like very much. The good news here is that the longer you do without them, the less you miss them.

1 Like
simmo forgot a key step.

if you want to eat, shitpost on blitz instead.

Like I said, better alternatives. Replacement one awful habit with another one.

Goof stuff domaura. Be patient. The first few kgs fly off, but itā€™s going to slow down soon. Just go for steady progress.

I donā€™t do cheat days. I didnā€™t want to hang on to or revisit any of my old habits.

I have dropped 6-7 kilos in 30 days.
Basically changed eating habits. Green juice in the morning (tastes vile but very good for you) no rubbish whatsoever. Fat and protein from nuts or olive oil. Lots of vegetables hardly any salt or none would be better. No bread. Fruit for snacks. No more packaged food or take-away. Seen heaps of documentaries in the last 6 weeks and absolutely changed me. Hot dogs are a no-no as many other processed foods including certain cheeses. Weekends are cheat days but should not be overdone where Iā€™ll have beef or chicken (but weary of its origin), some bread or rice. Havenā€™t started exercise yet but that is coming up next . Need to lose another 25kg. It seems a lot but I really want to get it right down. I am determined to lose it all but do not cry disaster if I sway by eating too much on a certain occasion (or two). I think the trick is not to give yourself a time limit but to change your lifestyle for the better. Good luck Silly Billy.

I lost just on 20kgs about five years ago through a very strict exercise and diet regime. Itā€™s slowly all come back on as the discipline slipped. Itā€™s very easy to give up and Iā€™d got to the very sad point last week where instead of being able to do the 300 challenge without too much trouble I was barely capable of doing 5 minutes on a cross-trainer. This thread inspired me to get off my fat ā– ā– ā– ā– , embrace exercise again and, trust me - itā€™s they key- watch what I eat. Thanks guys!

1 Like

Not a rubbish thread IMO.

Obesity is killing more people than cigarettes these days, & it must just suck. Looking after yourself is an exercise in constant feel good vibes, self esteem & pride, & well worth the effort.

Keep up the good work.

Itā€™s not rocket science.
Get some exercise.
More calories (sorry, Iā€™m a dinosaur) out than in.
Be patient.

ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  typo fixed

ā€¦either that, ā€¦ or you could try less calories in than out ā€¦ :wink:

It's not rocket science. Get some exercise. More calories (sorry, I'm a dinosaur) in than out. Be patient.

Yepā€¦ I was amazed at what the sort of things I was consuming before the shakes and mealsā€¦

Breakfast:
Bowl of cereal or milk drink

Morning tea at work:
Kid size pack of chips
Fruit drink
Museli bar
Chocolate bar

lunch
Sandwich or le snack (yes quick and easy)

Dinner
Big bowl of soaghetti or big portionof meat
Chips or vegies in cheese sauceā€¦

We would often have takeout like large maccas meals etc

Now Im on bout 2000 calories a day to try and lose the weight. Doc said I can cheat meals every now and again but try to limit them (e.g Chinese New year or occasions such as Birthdays) as you canā€™t cut them out entirely and so far ive felt betterā€¦ ive had bout 3 cheat meals in 3 weeks but still losing the weight (last night I had roast roll and chips and still lost 100g)

Good job. Making the decision is hard. Sticking to it is harder.

Iā€™m not a fan of the lose the weight quick.
Iā€™ve lost around 10kg since early December from getting back into distance running and also walking stairs instead of escalators where possible. Also a slight change in diet has helped too (although the Woolworths salad issue has pushed me away from salads momentarily).

Iā€™ve now got problems with energy levels during running because my body is used to carrying more weight and the food Iā€™ve omitted was also helping with energy levels.
Iā€™m fine during the working day itā€™s just halfway through a run I begin struggling when I could power through it previously.

Iā€™d suggest trying to stick with food that will be filling and not cause snack cravings.
Iā€™ve found having a good breakfast stops the snacking between breakfast and lunch.
Find a lunchtime meal thatā€™ll last the rest of the day and eat light for dinner.

You just have to fight through cravings for junk food.

Be as active as possible. Running will shed weight and eventually tone your body but if thatā€™s too hard on your legs or limbs, then walking or cycling is effective. Stop one station short and walk the rest of the way to and from work.
Itā€™ll make a difference.

Change of diet isnā€™t overly critical but it helps you maintain your weight through the winter months when youā€™re generally less active and more likely to snack.

All you have to do is change the habits you are used to and your body / cravings / thirsts will change with it.

Good luck buddy. Stick to it and youā€™ll find youā€™ll enjoy other aspects of life that you never did.

Iā€™d suggest trying to stick with food that will be filling and not cause snack cravings.
Iā€™ve found having a good breakfast stops the snacking between breakfast and lunch.

Get into a bowl of oats every morn. Low GI, heaps of energy & keep you sated for ages.