Weight loss

Im looking at adding tumeric supplement to help reduce inflammation (Currently have sore hip possible labral tear).
But maybe eating better and adding less inflammatory foods would probably be a better place to start.
My fast is usually just like 7pm to 9-10am so not that long when i do it.

1 Like

I can see some benefits for sure. But restrictive dietsā€¦I dunno.

Seems a good way to cut sugar out initially is to go meat only.

Then add back in low sugar veg and fruit. Basically keto

2 Likes

Jason Fung is someone that comes to mind when Fasting is brought up.
He is a very strong advocate for it based on the countless YT vids and Podcasts ive heard him on.

I have no doubt you have come across his work if its a rabbit hole you have dived into ?

1 Like

No problem and goodluck! Let us know how you go.

I use trace minerals electroyle powders which are keto/calorie friendly and dont break the fast. I get it off iHerb

1 Like

Yes, adding Tumeric to a poor diet I feel could be viewed as somewhat of a bandaid effect. Its a great start but would probably be negated two fold by any KFC we ate it with that day.

Donā€™t get me wrong, im no saint and eat like a pig plenty. But even the knowledge of how important the gut is toā€¦ everythingā€¦ is powerful.

95% of seratonin is made by our gut bacteria. An inflammed or poorly functioning microbiome therefore could impair this production of seratonin and therefore overall mood and other functions. Its why Psychologists these days prescribe a healthy diet to supplement exercise and/or anti depressants (often drugs that target seratonin uptake).

Edit, but I ramble and you didnt even ask about this :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yep, its not something im interested in, though i have little doubt its a suitable eating plan for a subset of the population that have too many intolerances to plant foods.
I dont buy into the recent nutrition dogma (last half century) that consuming animal foods increases the risk of heart disease or certain cancers.

Evolutionarily, it doesnt make sense that it would.
Ultimately, finding a nutrition plan that is comprised of real whole foods, that is easy to adhere to, and that results in SATIETY is the goal.
Personally, i believe good quality animal foods are superior to plant sources of protein.

Editā€¦you mentioned Keto at the end.
Keto is a metabolic state the body enters in the absence of Carbs in the diet.
Effectively, it can be achieved by someone on a strict Carnivore eating plan, or a Vegan even (yes, Vegan Keto is a thing).
The online recognised Keto eating plan adopted by many would beā€¦moderate protein from animal foods, fermented dairy (milk is too high in sugar), fibrous cruciferous vegetables, and berries.

Ultimately, that will be too restrictive in the long term for many.
You know, its nice to have half a honeydew melon on a warm summers day, to be able to eat some peas, sweet potato, pumpkin, extra carrots etc.
To have a glass of raw or A2 milk.
Foods or combinations that will kick one out of Ketosis (if that is the goal).

Cyclical Keto is much more sustainable for most.

1 Like

I was recommended turmeric (two rā€™s!) for arthritic pain but it made no difference, alas.

Iā€™ve seen similar info regarding the gut health, albeit only looked into it briefly.

Iā€™ve stated in here before that I tried ozempic (still do just harder to get now) and I asked the doctor after a few months of being on it, does it help regulate your mood, cos cos I wasnā€™t having the ups and downs in emotion.

He said it has no direct effect on mood, but the flow on effect of ozempic restricting the want or need to eat, and therefore eating less (still was eating 30% crap at the time) was a contributing factor because youā€™re not up and down depending on the food you put into you.

It makes sense when you stop and think of it, but before that I was thinking ok maybe itā€™s just the drug.

Itā€™s an interesting rabbit hole to go down.

1 Like

Well I just scrapped through on my goal of being between 80-81kg by my birthday. Got to 80.9kg

Officially at my wedding weight of around 81kg (give or take 1kg as it was with a PT and I had 2 weeks of not training and eating ordinary).

Going to be hard not being on my eating pattern as I have a work gig for a week where I wont be eating what I normally eat so will try and log what I eat here to hold myself accountable.

14 Likes

Great effort and inspiring self discipline.
I hope you feel proud, because you should

3 Likes

Thanks Mex.

I got some Size L shirts and size 36 shorts from Jeans West from the wife and kids. Put them on to try and the shirt fits nice. Havenā€™t worn a size L shirt in years. Felt weird.

Iā€™m actually scared of what food will be on this school camp. Previous years, I use to eat a lot as I was doing over 15,000 steps just by walking.

This year itā€™s a different camp so I donā€™t know what food they will have. I will just eat small portions and just enjoy. Will be happy if I dont gain a 1kg in 5 days lol.

I reckon itā€™s Bacon and eggs for teachers for Breakfast. Sangas for lunch (Maybe Hot dogs one day for lunch). Roast, Schnitzel type stuff for dinner.

1 Like

Can you ask in advance about meals? Can you bring some of your own?

I was in pretty good shape before Covid. Doing a full day hike once a week, was part of my routine. That kept me active.

Unfortunately during Covid, the doctor put me on Anti-Anxiety medication. And my weight ballooned out to about 15kg over 2 years.

A few months ago, I pleaded with my doctor to take me off the medication and now trying to pull my weight back in.

Iā€™ve lost about 3kg in the last month. And completely changed my diet, to high protein & high fat. Itā€™s been really good, as Iā€™m just not getting hungry at all. Each morning I do a fry up with either bacon, chicken, Halloumi or Salmon. Throw in tomatoes, mushrooms, cob of corn, plenty of olive oil. Cut up some avocado. No bread. No sauce.

That keeps me going until about 3pm. And then Iā€™ll have a can of tuna & Apple until dinner.

Iā€™m just not getting cravings at all.

Then Iā€™ll have a steak and roasted vegetables for dinner. Iā€™m not even interested in snacking before bed.

6 Likes

The guys at Muscle Nation make some tasty stuff.

Iā€™m experimenting with their Protein Jelly range with the warmer weather coming up.
I like all 3 flavoursā€¦

You need about 5 billion kilos per day of Tumeric to help with inflammation.

1 Like

Itā€™s a struggle to lose weight on anti depressants. Iā€™m on some for an auto immune illness. Youā€™re right about a high protein diet, it fills you up and alleviates constant cravings that I had from the meds.

Iā€™ve found, especially for women, that scale weight is only one data point for weight loss. Measuring hips/waist is another, fit of clothes and a before/after photo.

Anyway, if do need to go back on meds Iā€™m happy to talk through how I manage it.

2 Likes
  • turmeric :wink:
2 Likes

Nah sadly they wonā€™t allow food to be brought from outside.

Iā€™m just going to have to be vigilant and try and watch portions

1 Like

Thats what I have to do at events I have to attend. Go for high protein and veggies if I can and minimal carbs unless I have had a workout.

Itā€™s hard to watch others eat whatever they want and tempting as hell, but then I remind myself that the calories I burned exercising will be for nought if I overindulge.

1 Like

Oh, 6 billion kilos of Turmeric. Itā€™s slightly different, you see.

1 Like