Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

Scorpio, you are a great “Blitzer”, so many times you put into words just what I am feeling. Keep it up…x

Paul Cousins has impressed me with his work on The Cheap Seats. Lio seems like a nice lady but I am indifferent on her. I'm not going to turn on the two of them given I don't know what happened.
You know they voted the same way as the rest of the board.

We have no idea how the board voted we only know that Little said it was unanimous. I’ve been in a lot of meetings in my life and there is very rarely a unanimous vote of anything.
So this may come as a shock but I actually don’t believe Little. I think he wants everyone to THINK it was unanimous.

This man has proven again and again he cannot be trusted therefore; is lower than a black snake’s rs.
Please theyre board members now. They wouldn't want to be seen dead here.
Well they did suggest they would be the "voice of the members" when they got elected.

Yeah they can read here all they like. You’re a lunatic if you think they’re going to post minutes from board meetings.

How about some commentary now about how they unanimously helped Hird accept his resignation?
Let's hear it then!
To play devils advocate, The whole thing may have been presented as a fait accompli to much of the board. "Hird is resigning, do we accept it"? Rather than "should we sack him?"
What's the difference
None in Hird's case.
Personally I don't put this on Katie or Paul at all. Many more complex issues surrounding this and for those who have seen the three year history you can clearly see Little and Hird have gone back and forth in support of each other. Relationship has often been good but also extremely strained as well. Little is the Chairman and a huge influence. >snip< An EGM won't fix anything and with Little resigning in next 3-4 months I think that's all we need personally as far as change. We start again as a club in 2016 and just being a regular footy club

It’s very sad that the highest aspiration of our once great club is to get up to be a “regular” club.

Regular at last, sounds like a good dose of laxettes.

Even if it was presented as a fait accompli to the Board, each Director has an obligation to ask probing questions of matters of such importance to the members.

Most of us are speculating as to what happened, which doesn’t help, and unfortunately Board confidentiality (which appears not to apply to Twitter DM’s) will mean that we will probably never know really what happened. You wouldn’t want to be a Board member coming up for re-election this year!

Personally I don't put this on Katie or Paul at all. Many more complex issues surrounding this and for those who have seen the three year history you can clearly see Little and Hird have gone back and forth in support of each other. Relationship has often been good but also extremely strained as well. Little is the Chairman and a huge influence. You also have to have an understanding of an organisation seeing the players in such a dark place their welfare had to be on the coaches and management thoughts for 2016 and moving forward. It's horrifically unfair the constant media our players and coach especially receives and the fact is it sadly does have a deep affect. Have no doubt Hird spoke to Xavier instead of Little initially as they are much closer and talk often. You also have very close friends of James speaking to him like Corcoran etc. and I have no doubt they are discussing James life and where he is at in life and family. It's a mixture of many items coming together that I believe lead to this moment. This is my personal view. Guys like Simon Madded agreed with this and he knows well what happened & Hirds story and the unfairness of it. Simon's integrity is second to none and should be noted in his approval of these actions. It is what it is...incredibly sad and unjust but I think even Hird understands it even though he would like to have continued ...he is a very good businessman and I have no doubt understands branding and your main employees being players given some space from the intensity. An EGM won't fix anything and with Little resigning in next 3-4 months I think that's all we need personally as far as change. We start again as a club in 2016 and just being a regular footy club

1. Little should have gone instead of Hird
2. Hird had a contract
3. Don’t promise things you can’t/won’t deliver to get elected
4. None of this was about the players
5. EFC need to start thinking about what it stands for. No good talking about fabric, then ripping said fabric up.

Why?

He is going anyway.
He wanted Hird gone.

I cant stand it when people in business make decisions for the long term when they know they are only staying for the very short term.

Once he knows he is going he shouldn’t be pressuring people (if he was) to make controversial decisions that he is not going to have to live with.

I have been through far too many of those, and the people left behind have to clean up the fall out, and try and unpick the mess.

That he is going proves nothing. He came in with a mandate to replace Evans for the period of the Saga and see us out of it.

That he wanted Hird gone - if true - means nothing. If he did, he wanted it because he thought it was the best thing for the club. Does anyone who stands in the way of almighty Hird deserve to be stripped of their post?

Would you prefer people who are there in the short term only make decisions which will make them look good in the short term and the club not necessarily be put in such a good position in the long term? Or are you implying he had no right to change the coaching panel whilst he was there if it was short term only? If so, why have him?

What fallout in this case? And don’t say “James gone, everyone is sad”

Not about the “almighty Hird”. Its about process. He had been trying to get rid of Hird on and off since Hird came back from overseas.
As chairman of the board he should have been providing strong direction and supporting the coach and the players. His support for the coach has vacillated since he got there.
And I would argue that the support the board has provided for the players has consisted of psychological and legal, certainly not in PR and little effort to call off the media in my opinion.

I don’t care whether people are there for the short or long term. What I do care about is when people make controversial decisions knowing they are not going to be required to deal with the fallout.
It is very easy to make decisions. It is also very easy to make difficult and controversial decisions.
It is not so easy to make controversial and difficult decisions when you know you are going to have to be responsible for not only the fallout but also for the ongoing direction and management of the business into the long term when staff and supporters in this case are becoming disengaged.

I’ve seen it far too many times. People are there for five minutes, make a few decisions (in their own image) then ■■■■ off. Or, make a few decisions, can’t deal with the fall out, and ■■■■ off.

The fall out from this decision may well be there for years. Not because Hird was almighty or even a good coach, I wouldn’t know. But because he was ■■■■■■ around for the past three years by everyone under the sun, received very little support from the board, who could forget that wretched Crichton medal night, and never had an opportunity.

And Little has contributed most to that IMO. He finally engineers Hirds departure, then announces he will soon be on his way too . He can ■■■■ off now as far as I am concerned. He has done the bidding of the AFL.

I am very very angry with the whole process.

Process, many people would NOT know the meaning of the work in thought, deed or action. Process, processed, we have been processed more than the scraps at Bega cheese.
Personally I don't put this on Katie or Paul at all. Many more complex issues surrounding this and for those who have seen the three year history you can clearly see Little and Hird have gone back and forth in support of each other. Relationship has often been good but also extremely strained as well. Little is the Chairman and a huge influence. >snip< An EGM won't fix anything and with Little resigning in next 3-4 months I think that's all we need personally as far as change. We start again as a club in 2016 and just being a regular footy club

It’s very sad that the highest aspiration of our once great club is to get up to be a “regular” club.

Regular at last, sounds like a good dose of laxettes.

Don’t mention laxettes or Red E will issue forth again.

Who was at the chairman’s function yesterday (apart from Little Pauly) alibiing themselves ad nauseum…one term wonders.

Dear Caz, Dear Cuz,

Hard times are never over
trouble always comes
still I’m looking forward
to renewing my membership when the time comes

You’ve done a little damage to the club
did you care?
there are things a board member can’t manage
and that’s Liz Lukin’s share

Paul Little decisions
are the kind you can make
Hirdy resolutions
are so easy to break

I want to hear all about your Hirdy decisions

Work Paul Little harder
keep your mind on death
get your ■■■■ together
take a deeper breath

If leaking is the problem
then leak a little less
if guilt becomes a burden
make Dave Evans confess

Paul Little decisions
are the kind you can make
Hirdy resolutions
are so easy to break

I want to hear all about your Hirdy decisions

• modified from Paul Kelly
Personally I don't put this on Katie or Paul at all. Many more complex issues surrounding this and for those who have seen the three year history you can clearly see Little and Hird have gone back and forth in support of each other. Relationship has often been good but also extremely strained as well. Little is the Chairman and a huge influence. You also have to have an understanding of an organisation seeing the players in such a dark place their welfare had to be on the coaches and management thoughts for 2016 and moving forward. It's horrifically unfair the constant media our players and coach especially receives and the fact is it sadly does have a deep affect. Have no doubt Hird spoke to Xavier instead of Little initially as they are much closer and talk often. You also have very close friends of James speaking to him like Corcoran etc. and I have no doubt they are discussing James life and where he is at in life and family. It's a mixture of many items coming together that I believe lead to this moment. This is my personal view. Guys like Simon Madded agreed with this and he knows well what happened & Hirds story and the unfairness of it. Simon's integrity is second to none and should be noted in his approval of these actions. It is what it is...incredibly sad and unjust but I think even Hird understands it even though he would like to have continued ...he is a very good businessman and I have no doubt understands branding and your main employees being players given some space from the intensity. An EGM won't fix anything and with Little resigning in next 3-4 months I think that's all we need personally as far as change. We start again as a club in 2016 and just being a regular footy club

2. Hird had a contract
5. EFC need to start thinking about what it stands for. No good talking about fabric, then ripping said fabric up.

Why?

He is going anyway.
He wanted Hird gone.

I cant stand it when people in business make decisions for the long term when they know they are only staying for the very short term.

Once he knows he is going he shouldn’t be pressuring people (if he was) to make controversial decisions that he is not going to have to live with.

I have been through far too many of those, and the people left behind have to clean up the fall out, and try and unpick the mess.

That he is going proves nothing. He came in with a mandate to replace Evans for the period of the Saga and see us out of it.

That he wanted Hird gone - if true - means nothing. If he did, he wanted it because he thought it was the best thing for the club. Does anyone who stands in the way of almighty Hird deserve to be stripped of their post?

Would you prefer people who are there in the short term only make decisions which will make them look good in the short term and the club not necessarily be put in such a good position in the long term? Or are you implying he had no right to change the coaching panel whilst he was there if it was short term only? If so, why have him?

The list looks pretty ■■■■■■, we’ve not got a coach (and who knows if we’ll get one before trade week), lost draft picks are hurting and will continue to hurt. What fantastic “long term” decisions has he made?

The worst decisions that have been made (accepting the joint investigation, Ziggy report, 2013 penalties to “get on with the season”, not including the AFL in the court case, not bringing Hird back in 2014) have been to smooth things over for short term goals. Just not our short term goals, it’s hard to miss that all of those help the AFL move on with their business rather than the club’s.

If he had a mandate when he came in to clear out everyone, and did that (in 2013), that would be one thing. He hasn’t done that. It’s taken him over 2 years to get Hird, and the club’s suffered in the meantime. If he had a mandate to do the right thing by the club, again, look at us.

It’s not (just) about Hird, everyone involved in the whole 2011/12 shitstorm and the subsequent catastrophic, self destructive steps taken to deal with us from the AFL’s perspective since should be shot. And he’s #1 on the list.

whatever part they played it’s pretty weak that they still haven’t fronted up in here.

Not really.

whatever part they played it's pretty weak that they still haven't fronted up in here.

LOL

2. Hird had a contract

Why?

He is going anyway.
He wanted Hird gone.

The list looks pretty ■■■■■■, we've not got a coach (and who knows if we'll get one before trade week), lost draft picks are hurting and will continue to hurt. What fantastic "long term" decisions has he made?

The worst decisions that have been made (accepting the joint investigation, Ziggy report, 2013 penalties to “get on with the season”, not including the AFL in the court case, not bringing Hird back in 2014) have been to smooth things over for short term goals. Just not our short term goals, it’s hard to miss that all of those help the AFL move on with their business rather than the club’s.

If he had a mandate when he came in to clear out everyone, and did that (in 2013), that would be one thing. He hasn’t done that. It’s taken him over 2 years to get Hird, and the club’s suffered in the meantime. If he had a mandate to do the right thing by the club, again, look at us.

It’s not (just) about Hird, everyone involved in the whole 2011/12 shitstorm and the subsequent catastrophic, self destructive steps taken to deal with us from the AFL’s perspective since should be shot. And he’s #1 on the list.

Well said.

2. Hird had a contract

Why?

He is going anyway.
He wanted Hird gone.

The list looks pretty ■■■■■■, we’ve not got a coach (and who knows if we’ll get one before trade week), lost draft picks are hurting and will continue to hurt. What fantastic “long term” decisions has he made?

Is that the same list that beat Hawthorn in round 2 and had EFC touted as top 4 material? The list that gets freshened up this year with a few legends calling it a day. Were you bagging Little when he signed up Hird to the end of 2016, in August 2013? Have you ever considered we may have lost more draft picks, save for Little playing hard ball?

General Little, leading* from the front**??

Cerberus is back!

Just my thoughts and yes the Hird announcement came as a big shock and had no warning. Had hundreds of debates since Tuesday on this and we are talking about my all time hero here if anyone knows me. I am gutted Hird is gone...completely gutted. I still however can talk to those I know who are close to Hird or board members, CEO and form an opinion. I also know the motive of the guy who came third in board election voting so would I have voted differently in hindsight ...not so sure

Motive? Sorry but that’s rubbish. Gauci’s mistake was to not promise what he couldn’t deliver. Two other candidates did. To pinpoint him is absolutely unfair. He did some terrific work at Melbourne Storm in difficult circumstances and would’ve offered something to our board.

My opinion and yes i have had debates on Ziggy report with Gauci who gave it a lot of credit and his thoughts on future of club. My view

Your post said “I know the motive” to me is not an opinion, it’s stated as fact.

Opinion, I can cop and we can agree to disagree on that. You’re a respected poster. I’m curious though, given what we now actually know, what were the “motives” of the elected two?

</blockquote

Well Gauci wants to be Chairman and was his goal by starting with board position last year. Was unhappy with Little’s performance and felt he could get EFC out of ASADA situation quicker by admitting and taking responsibility more on what he sees as our mistakes and working with AFL. In fact his position wouldnt be too different to Evans in many ways. Resolve issue fast and move on. some may like that and thats why we are all allowed to vote and have a say. No doubt in my mind he wants to be chairman today.

which is exactly why caro et al heavily promoted him at the time and why it was vitally important to the protection of the players to get caz and cuz on. The issue was bigger than hird then and is bigger than hird now. i would not be holding the hird thing against caz and cuz without first knowing the full details and having the opportunity to speak to them. That said i think hirds departure was handled poorly. That doesn’t mean i would have voted differently last year with the benefit of hindsight.

2. Hird had a contract

Why?

He is going anyway.
He wanted Hird gone.

Is that the same list that beat Hawthorn in round 2 and had EFC touted as top 4 material? The list that gets freshened up this year with a few legends calling it a day. Were you bagging Little when he signed up Hird to the end of 2016, in August 2013? Have you ever considered we may have lost more draft picks, save for Little playing hard ball?

That’s strange. The club itself disagrees with you because they’re conducting a full review of this list and planning to cull heavily. So, are you saying the club is wrong to do this?

Did we know Little was complicit in getting Hird to accept the AFL’s penalties at the time? I tend to think that would have evoked some level of outrage at the time.

“Have you ever considered we may have lost more draft picks, save for Little playing hard ball?” Have you considered that had Little sided with Hird, we may have not been penalised as harshly?