Welcome to Essendon - Caz & Cuz

Ok, something a bit different.

I was asked if I would open this thread so that Catherine Lio, and Paul Cousins, two younger people who's names you will find on the list of candidates for the vacant EFC board positions, could introduce themselves to our community of Essendon tragics. I agreed because I thought it would be a good experience for both them and us.

Both Katie and Paul asked for an open thread so that they and we could interact, rather than us only get the pr spiel, and them go on their way. I did, and still do, like that. It's a shame others can't do the same.

From my understanding they want to introduce themselves to us. To tell us who they are, what they are, what they stand for, what they think they can bring to the table. But I have no vested interest in this one way or the other, so I have not discussed their content in all but the most sweeping terms. So I really can't tell you exactly what we are going to get, what they are going to say. But then, I don't know what you are going to say. In fact I really don't even know what I'm going to say. All I know is that I thought it was an opportunity Blitz should take, that thankfully Riolio was willing to facilitate. And that we have two people who want to hear from us. To know what we think. Get the thoughts of the die hard Bombers. The Bomber faithful. And that can't be a bad thing.

So fellow Blitzers; Keep it civil, ask any questions you want, discuss anything you want, and enjoy the opportunity.

I guess the only thing left for me to do now, is turn the thread over to Katie and Paul.

Hi All,

It’s been a crazy 48 hours or so but just wanted to come back to say thank you so much again for all of your support, I have no doubt it was vital in getting both Katie and myself elected.  Thanks also for taking the time to talk to us and ask our opinions on the club, at that early stage it was great just to hear real Essendon fans opinions and to be able to offer ours to a big group of passionate Bombers.  Special thanks to Reboot for starting this thread for us.

Looking forward to the AGM Monday night and can’t wait to get into the hard work for 2015.  Go Bombers!

If Gauci isn't smart enough to realize that Essendon supporters don't read the Age anymore, then it is a good thing he didn't get onto the board.

OK, it really is  notable that Caz and Cuz ran a social media campaign.  The Age should and did report that.  You can read it in a negative way or just treat it as as factual reporting.

Winning an election is about finding a way to win by understanding the voters and getting to more voters more personally than your opponents 

This election was conducted primarily on social media. There were no polling booths, no street walks,  no handing out how to vote cards,  no meeting members on train stations in the morning rush hour,  no flagging down cars in the main street of Eltham,   to find a way to be familiar.

In view of the way the election was primarily voted on, future candidates better take note that social media elections will involve strong social media campaigns.  

The reality is, Gauci and his MSM campaign was outsmarted by a more targeted social media campaign run by Caz and Cuz,  2 real people who love the club and know how the world works today. 

Congratulations !

if the prospective board members were not allowed to disclose whether they supported hird/ little or not, who would you have voted for?

It's a fair question from Robbo, but did people really expect any board member to support Hird indefinitely?

Unconditional/indefinite support is either expected or smart.

But I think, when you establish your profile with a blog/twitter account talking about how Hird is being disgracefully scapegoated by the media and the AFL, if you turn about and acquiesce in the removal of Hird in order to appease the media and reduce the pressure the media is putting on the players, then you’ve got some 'splaining to do, at the very least.

Reading Chip regarding this, with Hird’s future being considered for four weeks, with James instigating this, I am not too upset with them.

To explain too much is a catch 22, the reason James says he went was to reduce the pressure on the players and so every second AFL article in the media wasn’t about the WADA appeal and how the players were coping. If board members exposed too many details about the decision or any disagreements, that would be adding fuel to the fire the EFC and James wants to put out.

Now the articles have already died down and there seems to be more visibility for the criticism that Fitzpatshisownprick and Gilligan are getting over the restrictions on Sydney and criticising Henderson. It will be interesting to see how the narrative evolves after today’s match, but it seems to me that it’s not all about Hird anymore already. Not saying this is fair or right, but it was James intention to take the pressure off the players, and that is what he asked the board to consider. If the articles continue to taper off until the WADA hearing, it will be the right decision as far as that intention goes, and we seem to agree that the players are the first priority.

Whether we get anything else right, remains to be seen.

So you really think James Hird instigated all this ? Lol

So out of the blue James asks Campbell to have a meal to discuss if the Board support him! If you know anything about Hird, he would go straight to Paul Little with this. If you know anything about Paul Little, he always uses others to fire the bullets, he has loaded into the gun.

Still awaiting their resignation, you cant get voted him for being pro Hird then sack him half a year down the track and expect the shareholders/members to go quietly.

100% agree. You manipulated us to thinking you stood for a cause that you didn’t. At least the Raptor was honest. We helped get you in and we will help get you out. Disgusted

Still awaiting their resignation, you cant get voted him for being pro Hird then sack him half a year down the track and expect the shareholders/members to go quietly.

Welcome, and thankyou for making the commitment to stand for our board.

And thankyou even more for taking the time to talk to us.

Excellent.

Hello all! 

Let's get the official spiel out of the way first, then I'm around to answer questions for the next hour or so. Please - ask the tough ones. 

Oh, & right off the bat - Hurley forward. 

Hi. My name is Catherine (Katie) Lio, and I am a nominee for the Essendon Football Club Board.

My passion for the Essendon Football Club was passed down through two generations of my family. My Grandfather, a mad Essendon supporter, bought my Mother up to be a dyed-in-the-wool Bomber. She tells great stories of days spent at the boundary line of Windy Hill and getting autographs from her heroes. To this day, you can hear the nerves in her voice when Jack Jones walks past us in the members area at the MCG.

My mother introduced me to the Essendon Bombers when I was 9 years old. Since then I have witnessed the triumphs, challenges, and experienced the emotions of our great club. I have cheered, wept, chanted and bled for the red and black.

They all try their best, but they can‘t get near.

The last two years have been challenging to say the least. Our club is only as strong as the players and staff, and I take the strong view that our Board should work to ensure their health, wellbeing, and ongoing legacy.

I do not wish to rock the boat, but steady it.

It is my belief that James Hird should be the coach of the Essendon Football Club.

Through these challenging times, one thing has been very clear to me - Essendon members are strong. I have met many of you, from all walks of life and from all over Australia in the last few years. We are clear about what we want. We want to be heard.

As a board member I will work to preserve and enhance our clubs great legacy while embracing the challenges of a dynamic sporting and social environment. I bring a professional youth, enthusiasm and a fresh perspective to assist our club to thrive, while maintaining the sense of family we value so deeply.

My career in communication, focused on digital media, entertainment, and sport, has provided invaluable insights into opportunities our club could harness. I believe we can bridge the gap between the club and the many supporters using new and emerging technologies.

Most of all, I want to be your voice.

I am nominating for this position to be the voice of all Essendon members. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]. https://www.linkedin.com/pub/catherine-katie-lio/13/149/791

Ok - FIRE AWAY.

Hi Guys, first things first thanks so much for allowing us the opportunity to talk to you on here, I really appreciate it.

OK so a bit of background - my name is Paul Cousins and I‘m a nominee for the Essendon Football Club Board.

I‘m a 4th generation Bomber fan who grew up to stories of my Great Grandma climbing over the seats at Windy Hill with my Mother in toe.  I learned the meaning of true heartbreak as a youngster on Grand Final day 1983, and of utter elation just one year later.  These days my wife and I are coming up on 10 year High Mark Members, while our 2 year old girl is our constant companion on game day.  We can often be found at Etihad or the G with 10 or more immediate and extended family cheering the red and black on.

Away from the footy I‘m a sports nut (though mostly watching these days!) and small business owner, having started up a small web design agency about 10 years ago in Melbourne‘s outer suburbs which has grown to become a market leader in the region.  Prior to starting up my own business I‘d been in Hospitality Venue Management before moving in to IT and Business Development.  

In more recent times I‘ve also taken to online publishing via my website The Cheap Seats, where I‘ve attempted to help balance some of the more biased media commentary around our club.

My reasons for running for the Board are simple, I‘m extremely passionate about the Club and want to get stuck in to do all I can to help it during these difficult times.  I believe the Board needs a strong voice which is representative and reflective of its Members, and with your help I believe I can provide that voice.  I don't think another major upheaval is in the best interests of our club at this stage, but I do believe new voices are necessary.

I support James Hird and strongly believe he is the right man to coach this team to its 17th premiership.  I‘m also supportive of the current administration.

Despite the difficulties of the past two years Essendon is a truly great club with a deep history of success, my goal is to help it return to being the envy of the competition by providing the fresh voice of our members to the Board.

I'm here until 3 today but will check back in on this thread as often as I can to answer any questions I can that you might have about my thoughts on the Bombers, on field or off!

Do you think the players should accept bans or fight to the end. What is your opinion on this

What would you have done differently during the whole saga

Is paul little the right man going forward, if so why?if not why not?

Do you have any kind of relationship with the AFL, do they endorse you running for the board?

Sorry to hit you with the hard stuff straight away?

Wow Guys love you both already.

Need to post photos, as I want to see who I am voting for !,

Good luck, you have both told me enough to be on board

Thanks for introducing yourselves, and standing for election to the Board of the best Club in Australia!

In my view, we have been scapegoated unfairly by the AFL. So the key issues to me are:

1) if the AFL engineers bans for the players, a la the NRL, would your position on the Board be to accept these or will you fight them all the way to the High Court if necessary?

2) would you work to get compensation for the draft picks that were stolen from us?

Do you think the players should accept bans or fight to the end. What is your opinion on this
Do you have any kind of relationship with the AFL, do they endorse you running for the board?

Thanks for the questions efc1robbo!

I think answering questions about the ASADA case can be difficult because I only know as much as any Essendon supporter who has read & researched these events. I truly believe that if the players and the coaching staff believe there was no foul play at the club, then no, we absolutely should not be looking to taking pleas. If I was accused of something I had not done, I would definitely fight to the end. 

I think the ASADA journey we have been on has shone a light on a lot of things within the sporting industry, & in particular, the AFL. I'm not sure how, being blind of this information, I would have done it differently, though I'm not sure I would have been as trusting of a promise from ASADA to the AFL. 

I think Paul Little has done a terrific job of steering the club through the last 12 months. I believe he did the right thing in giving James a contract extension in the face of serious media backlash, and for that I commend him. 

I do think there has been times when he has allowed the story to run away from the club, and I'm not sure I agree with doing interviews with some of the media he has allowed back into our club. 

In light of full disclosure, I work for Telstra in the Sports & Entertainment team. This team encompasses MOG Music, SportsFan & AFL. I am the senior curator for the MOG Music product. I have been at events with AFL Media, but I do not work directly with the AFL in any way. 

Don't apologise about asking the hard questions - that's what we're here for. 

Thanks for taking the time. 

Wow Guys love you both already.
Need to post photos, as I want to see who I am voting for !,
Good luck, you have both told me enough to be on board

Just for you! 

Been waiting for this thread

The hard stuff is the good stuff!

• I believe, in the strongest possible terms, that if the players believe they are innocent they should fight to protect that innocence for as long as they wish to.  Taking bans to appease impatient media and supporters of other clubs would be incomprehensibly stupid imo, though of course players may choose to end it themselves in that fashion for their own reasons (though it seems unlikely at this point).  That's not to suggest I'm not as sick of the saga as anyone else, but these guys must be afforded every right to defend their innocence.

• I wouldn't have agreed to a 'self-report', though of course I could have been out voted on that.  I wouldn't have wanted a governance expert to be commenting publicly in his commissioned report on something he openly admitted to knowing virtually nothing about, that being supplement use in elite sporting clubs.  I didn't like the way the club handled the coach's announcement that he'd be appealing the same Fed Court decision they strongly considered appealing.  Don't want to get too negative here, but they are 3 things that come to mind.

• I believe Paul Little, with a strong board behind him, can be the man to lead the club, yes.

• Absolutely no relationship with the AFL, and certainly not any endorsement from them.

Good questions!  Hope that goes some way to answering them.

Obviously everyone will focus on ASADA stuff, but reckon you can push to get back to the MCG?