#9 Dylan Shiel (Part 1)

Especially if his spelling and grammar is :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Hence Aussie slangs efficiency.

GDAY!
OW YA GOIN?

He speaks well. Iā€™m confident heā€™s on top of it

2 Likes

Garantey everyones gettin all weirdo about langauge is fourtee or Olda.

Engrish is the moist non-intuituon langage in the world, get overit.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always maintained that learning other languages helps you better understand your own. The way they teach languages here, at least in my experience is terrible. It was only when I relearnt Italian at uni properly, and in a much shorter space of time, that I realised this. If I had the time and money to hardly work, Iā€™d be learning another language.

3 Likes

His gonna be awesome.

1 Like

Yep, good.

Good chance to be picked for round 1.

Definitely Best 25 at least.

Is he our best midfielder though???

Heā€™s getting Stringerā€™s number?

1 Like

Made famous by Geoff Parker, Ian Anderson and Michael Still.

2 Likes

So he was playing for Essendon when Jethro Tull werenā€™t touring?

2 Likes

Port Fairy taxi driver and ex-publican and Vietnam veteran.

Dylan Shiel hates misused words.

Newsreaders of the world take note - to decimate actually means to reduce by one tenth, not to totally destroy. The Romans used to decimate a legion to punish them for cowardice by counting along the lines -
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, dead,
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, dead,
1, 2, 3, 4ā€¦etc.

I imagine there was a lot of hurried counting & shuffling for position.

5 Likes

Fixed for the Blitz Empire.

8 Likes

I played underage footy and cricket with him. He was quite a talent at both, especially cricketā€¦
His younger brother (Cameron) was an even better cricketer at that level. Was surprised he never kicked onā€¦

So, what sort of player does Essendon have in Shiel? Apparently, 2018 wasnā€™t as good as seasons ā€˜16 and ā€˜17 with him playing more of an outside role. Anyway, Iā€™ve looked at his stats and a few of his games ā€¦

This year Shiel played 23 games for a total of 596 possessions. He accumulated 25 or more possessions in 12 games and 5 of those were more than 30 (he had 30 or more x6 in 2017 and 7 in2016).

So Shiel is not a big, big possession winner like Merrett who is a monster in this area of the game topping 30 or more (even broke the 40 mark this year) x8 and thatā€™s despite the overall year not being his best. For reference, Merrett hit the 30+ mark x12 in both ā€˜16 and ā€˜17.

This year Shiel got to a lot of contests but was mostly waiting for the ball to spill out before dishing off a quick disposal. Sometimes heā€™d play the role of a winger in soccer where heā€™d stay out wide to receive the ball. He was certainly able to get his own ball too. Team mates also looked for him to deliver the ball (immaculately) to leading forwards. Didnā€™t tackle a lot though. For a leftie he has an impressive right foot (accuracy / distance).

I see a lot of similarities between Shiel and Merrett. Iā€™d rate Merrett the overall better player based on his numbers, ball use and tackle numbers. Will be interesting to see how Shiel is used in 2019 and whether he can take his game to another level like Smith did this year or Mitchell of the Hawks when he came from Sydney?

5 Likes

Very well written with only minor grammatical blemishes which I would feel churlish in pointing out. We will win finals next year if we keep this up.

2 Likes

Really? Iā€™d rather be snowboarding, or at the beach, or travelling overseasā€¦

1 Like