Welcome to Essendon - Matilda “Mykey/Dykey” Dyke

During this game I commented to Trev that I don’t know what her role is, but that she pops up in useful spaces.

She immediately helped save us in the back pocket, and went on to goal by committing to running 100m to advantage.

By Blake Gaffiero

Step in, fight back.

Those were the keys for Essendon in their win over Carlton on Saturday, making amends after a disappointing outing the weekend prior.

For utility Matilda Dyke, the messaging was heard loud and clear in the Bombers’ camp as they put the foot down early in the contest.

“We really took the challenge from last week losing to West Coast and made it our mission to step in,” Dyke said.

“The team thrives under pressure, and I feel like that’s exactly what we got out of this game. I’m so proud of our girls for how we’ve come back after the loss last week.”

Winning the clearance count 35-25, the Bombers’ ability to win the footy at the source generated plenty of early attacks and set them up well to capitalise.

Dyke believes the gradual improvement in the Bombers’ contested game has been clear to see on all fronts.

“It’s (about) that really conscious decision to step in, be physical, that body contact, not allowing them to have those easy goals,” Dyke said.

“It’s really obvious from the sidelines how we’ve upped our pressure, our intensity, and urgency.”

Capping off a special day, Dyke found herself on the end of a strong build-up play in the final term to secure her first-ever AFLW goal.

Quick to credit her teammates, Dyke is loving her time in the red and black, with Saturday’s result another keynote in an exciting debut season to date.

“The credit should go to Amber Clarke, she did all the hard work out on the boundary. She bombed it long to the goal square and I just happened to be there,” Dyke said.

“I think it was my worst ground ball I’ve ever done but you do what you’ve got to do.

“I love the club, I love the girls. They’ve done such an awesome job of cultivating a really awesome culture and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

2 Likes