Welcome To Essendon - Peter Blanch

While Essendon’s Senior Coaching group can boast ten VFL/AFL premierships, the Club’s Physical Performance unit can also lay claim to an impressive resume.

The latest addition to that group is Peter Blanch who has been appointed to the role of Head Physiotherapist.

Blanch has been involved in elite sport for almost 30 years.

Most recently he worked for Cricket Australia after spending more than 20 years at the Australian Institute of Sport.

His appointment at the Bombers marks a return to an industry he worked in early in his career.

“AFL is a tremendous game, it has a tremendous place in the hearts of Australians,” Blanch said.

“The Bombers are one of the historical sporting clubs of the world.

“They’ve been around for over 100 years, an extraordinary history of success, an extraordinary place in the hearts of their supporters.

“So I think it’s a tremendous opportunity to be involved.”

Throughout his career, Blanch has been to three Olympic Games and five Commonwealth games.

He also played an important role in helping cricketers overcome overuse injuries.

“Obviously they are different games, but a lot of the things, especially when we talk about overuse injuries – the very definition of overuse is you are loading somebody up more than what they are prepared for," he said.

“That concept doesn’t change whether you’re a fast bowler, football player or a swimmer.

“One of the areas we’ve become better in - and AFL’s probably better than most sports in the world – is keeping track of the loads we put in to our players and making sure we progress them well.

“That doesn’t mean we don’t train hard – you must train hard and the best thing to be resilient form injury is training a lot.

“We do a lot of work around how hard people are training and how they’re responding to that training.”

Blanch has already commenced work with Essendon and was in attendance as the young Bombers underwent their first time trial yesterday.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015-11-11/dons-sign-sports-veteran

While Essendon’s Senior Coaching group can boast ten VFL/AFL premierships, the Club’s Physical Performance unit can also lay claim to an impressive resume.

The latest addition to that group is Peter Blanch who has been appointed to the role of Head Physiotherapist.

Blanch has been involved in elite sport for almost 30 years.

Most recently he worked for Cricket Australia after spending more than 20 years at the Australian Institute of Sport.

His appointment at the Bombers marks a return to an industry he worked in early in his career.

“AFL is a tremendous game, it has a tremendous place in the hearts of Australians,” Blanch said.

“The Bombers are one of the historical sporting clubs of the world.

“They’ve been around for over 100 years, an extraordinary history of success, an extraordinary place in the hearts of their supporters.

“So I think it’s a tremendous opportunity to be involved.”

Throughout his career, Blanch has been to three Olympic Games and five Commonwealth games.

He also played an important role in helping cricketers overcome overuse injuries.

“Obviously they are different games, but a lot of the things, especially when we talk about overuse injuries – the very definition of overuse is you are loading somebody up more than what they are prepared for," he said.

“That concept doesn’t change whether you’re a fast bowler, football player or a swimmer.

“One of the areas we’ve become better in - and AFL’s probably better than most sports in the world – is keeping track of the loads we put in to our players and making sure we progress them well.

“That doesn’t mean we don’t train hard – you must train hard and the best thing to be resilient form injury is training a lot.

“We do a lot of work around how hard people are training and how they’re responding to that training.”

Blanch has already commenced work with Essendon and was in attendance as the young Bombers underwent their first time trial yesterday.

Uhhhhmmmmmm… What?..

But in all seriousness, a great appointment by the club. Hopefully he can help with our injury problems.

He should expect to be a very busy man

So, if Tayte gets fit - do we say that we have Blanched Pears?

‘“They’ve been around for over 100 years, an extraordinary history of success, an extraordinary place in the hearts of their supporters.’

Don’t know when he started, but he’s already picked up ‘the vibe’.

Welcome to Essendon Peter Blanch

Sounds about right.

Never heard of him but I like it. Essendon has always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Welcome.

http://i.imgur.com/E3NSk65.png

Sounds about right.

Too vanilla?

Sounds about right.

Benfti hates him already.

Sounds about right.

Too vanilla?

Vanilla is black!

Everytime I read these new appointments in the high performance department the last 3 years I always think back to the Stephen dank appointment article back in 2011.

Welcome to the Bombers, Peter.

http://www.clemjonescentrephysioandrehab.com.au/peter.html

Peter Blanch
APA Sports Physiotherapist
Masters Biomechanics
Associate Profressor, Griffith University
Consultant - Swimming Australia, Australian Sports Commission

Peter has been working in elite sport for almost 30 years, and is highly regarded in the Sports Medicine field, in Australia and internationally.

He was the Head Physiotherapist for Australian Team at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, and he is also on the Australian Commonwealth Games Medical Advisory Board.

Peter has developed extensive understanding, experience and expertise across the issue of ‘load management’ in sport - working with sports to find solutions to the balance between training, performance and injury.

He has recently (2014/2015) taken up a role as an independent contractor with the Australian Sports Commission and Swimming Australia. A primary goal of this position is to assist the case management of the top swimmers in Australia - through the development, uptake and use of electronic monitoring systems in the ongoing management of athletes.
From 2011 to 2014, Peter was the Sports Science and Sports Medicine Manager for Cricket Australia (this role also included ‘load management’ strategies for injury prevention), and he was on the I.C.C. Medical Commission.
Peter spent over 20 years at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS). He worked with most sports, but more so with basketball, cycling, triathlon and swimming (he was on the Swimming Australia Sports Science and Medicine Advisory Board for 12 years).
For 13 years he was a physiotherapist for Australian Swimming. This involvement included;
3 Olympic Games
5 Commonwealth Games
4 World Championships
Whilst at the AIS, in addition to his work with the sports programs, Peter was the Clinical Research Manager – responsible for the direction of physiotherapy and sport research at the Institute. He has over 40 peer reviewed publications, and is an Associate Editor of the “Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport”.
Peter’s experience and expertise is recognised throughout Sports Physiotherapy, and he is regularly asked to present on Post Graduate Sports Physiotherapy programs around the country, and at national and international conferences.

Sounds great. Let’s hope he can get our boys firing on all cylinders.

Welcome to the, still, greatest team in the world.

A very sciencey appointment…

1 Like

Fark I hope he’s not the guy who’s been working on our fast bowlers for the last few years

Fark I hope he's not the guy who's been working on our fast bowlers for the last few years

lol that was my first though too

Thankfully they didn’t use the hashtag “back in” for him like they have for others. Not a good omen for a physio.

Thankfully they didn't use the hashtag "back in" for him like they have for others. Not a good omen for a physio.

Pity we didn’t have it 5 years ago. ‘Gumby has done his #backin’ would have been used enough to have it trending globally at all times.

Good to see we’re blanching out.

1 Like
Thankfully they didn't use the hashtag "back in" for him like they have for others. Not a good omen for a physio.

Certainly better than #backout.

Caroline Wilson is #backingoneout in 2016 has a certain ring to it I suppose.