Welcome to Essendon - Sam Grimley

Good help for Joe Dan

Grimley has serious wheels for a big man. I remember that game he played as his first for Hawks in ruck where he kicked 3 and he got very involved around ground.

JD and Grimley with Smack down there is a very very mobile tall kpf group.

Grimley has serious wheels for a big man. I remember that game he played as his first for Hawks in ruck where he kicked 3 and he got very involved around ground.

Pffft. They’ll all be decoys for the Tipstin Show anyway.

Yeah, I agree. Smack to play the big enforcer role first and key target second. He was made for it.

Pffft. They’ll all be decoys for the Tipstin Show anyway.

Tipshow will be stuck in the vfl. I think you mean Irish.

Probably fits better into our "waisted" age profile, than some of the 30 something top ups, but was completely bypassed at the last draft by 22 clubs, presumably because he is "too old" to draft.
Who were the other four clubs?

It all depends on how tall the coaches want to go in the forwards line. No reason we can’t go with JD, Smack and Grimley all in the same forward line, especially with Smacks agility and ability below his knees.

The most interesting thing is will he be able to do the thing that has eluded most. Getting someone to honor a decent lead. If he can do that, chase and shepherd, hard around contests and kick straight then I’m sure they’ll let him into the side to give the other ruckman a chop out.

Can this guy play some ruck? Just wondering whether he'd be challenging SMack for games.

Considering SMack finished top 10 last year and after the suspensions he is probably top 5, I doubt a guy who got passed over by 17 clubs (twice by some of them) will be challenging SMack.

I agree. But he made top ten on the back of playing as the first ruck. If Looney is fit, I’d assume McKernan plays forward with some time in the ruck. But I’m not sold on McKernan as a forward, so maybe by the middle of the year, we’d prefer someone who’s more of a forward than a ruckman.

Time will tell.

I think he was also top 10 in B&F because he did the little things that seem to elude the majority of our players like chasing and shepherding.

Can this guy play some ruck? Just wondering whether he'd be challenging SMack for games.

Considering SMack finished top 10 last year and after the suspensions he is probably top 5, I doubt a guy who got passed over by 17 clubs (twice by some of them) will be challenging SMack.

I agree. But he made top ten on the back of playing as the first ruck. If Looney is fit, I’d assume McKernan plays forward with some time in the ruck. But I’m not sold on McKernan as a forward, so maybe by the middle of the year, we’d prefer someone who’s more of a forward than a ruckman.

Time will tell.

Yes he can.

I think Smack needs a slightly new job.

Can this guy play some ruck?
Just wondering whether he’d be challenging SMack for games.

Is this the guy who hadn't played a game for 4 years then got his chance and kicked 3 or so on debut?

Correct

Think that was Lowden who went to Adelaide

Yes, thank god.

EAD Port

Over the moon at this you don’t kick as many as he did in the VFL and quite accurately without talent. Was unlucky to be stuck behind Roughy, Gunston, Hale ect

Is this the guy who hadn’t played a game for 4 years then got his chance and kicked 3 or so on debut?

Is this the guy who hadn't played a game for 4 years then got his chance and kicked 3 or so on debut?

Correct

Grimley Joins

Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce Sam Grimley has today agreed to terms for the 2016 season.

Grimley was taken by Hawthorn with pick 39 in the 2009 draft and de-listed by the Hawks in October 2015 following six seasons at the Club.

The 25-year old proved himself as a strong tall forward with the Box Hill Hawks and awarded joint winner of the VFL’s Frosty Miller Medal as the state league’s leading goal kicker in both 2014 and 2015.

General Manager of Football, Rob Kerr, believes Grimley’s VFL performances prove he deserves another opportunity to revive his AFL ambitions, this time at the Bombers.

“Sam is a proven goalkicker at VFL level and with his size and athleticism he has the attributes to fill a variety of roles,” Kerr said.

“We hope he will provide support to our forward line and contribute to the team’s overall depth and strength this season.”

Grimley is the eighth new recruit to join the Club following the announcements of Ryan Crowley, James Kelly, Jonathan Simpkin, Matt Dea, Matthew Stokes, James Polkinghorne and Mark Jamar.