Welcome to Essendon - there might be more last list spots…

but then again i’ve seen better ball movement in auskick than what essendon produces at times.

6 Likes

Yes, when he plays forward

He’s 190cm too, re measured at this years state combine, so growing at an incredible rate :joy:

Playing as a key forward

Playing as a key back

5 Likes

Based on your highlights, he kicks them when he’s playing back as well.

A lot to like there. This is exactly how we should be spending our last pick.

I’m all in.

4 Likes

yep this is a pick each year we should do…take the most gifted one we can find and just let them play…if they adapt to AFl pace style if not its better then having players that clog the list that have comef rom the o called correct path way into the game!

2 Likes

Nigel Lockyer not named in palmerston team today…

3 Likes

Plays like Mickey O

2 Likes

After watching those highlights, get me a ticket aboard the Nigel Lockyer hype train

1 Like

Who was the last Nigel we had in the sash?

He’s carrying a bit of excess weight. We need players who will train hard. The team as a whole last season was nowhere near the fitness levels of the top teams.

Pretty low output too.

There has never been a Nigel (at least since 1897): https://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/essendon.html

2 Likes

I’d hope we aren’t relying on a rookie to set the training standards.

4 Likes

You don’t reckon there’s a better than fair chance a kid from the NT, where he plays in a non professional league & isn’t required, nor indeed has the time, to train like a professional full time athlete wouldn’t train as hard as he possibly could when given a once in a lifetime shot at a high earning AFL career?

The fact he is as trim as he is under his current circumstances should be seen as a plus I’d say.

Would take all of one solid pre season and diet plan etc to be in great nick.

4 Likes

Thought people said that’s why we rookied Townsend.

2 Likes

And if true, that would be disappointing considering we have a leadership group and multiple veterans with decades of AFL experience between them.

Like Nigel. Always worried about our ability to stop those medium types who can get it in the air and on the deck. Gleeson, Redman, and Ridley lack one on one capability but are great going the other way. This guy looks physical, quick, and can kick it. Exactly what we need. WSPHU.

I remember when people used to say this sort of thing about this indigenous lad we had in the VFL from Gippsland by way of Tiwi

17 Likes

I think we should try to pick a good player and try to avoid picking a non-good player

11 Likes