Welcome to Essendon, Thurlow and Ambrose

A write up on the rookie draft

http://www.scpaige.com.au/2013-rookie-draft-verdict/

For the lazy ones....    Pretty hard not to be happy with those two pick ups.

Fraser Thurlow

Club: Labrador
DOB: 06.01.1993
Height: 199cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Forward
Plays Like: Dean Cox

A really physical and combative ruckman, Fraser Thurlow had an exceptional year with Labrador in the NEAFL over 16 games in 2013. Thurlow really fits the mould of the new-age ruck; he is both competitive and aggressive and offers the ability to push forward where he‘s know to take some good grabs and finish truly on goal. But perhaps the biggest talking point of Thurlow‘s game, wasn‘t just his tap work. He accumulated some big numbers in 2013, averaging 18.2 disposals, underlying his ability to find the ball around the ground, not too dissimilar to West Coast‘s Dean Cox. Thurlow is a ripping kick, and his numbers prove that he doesn‘t mind kicking the ball – with an average of 10.3 kicks per game in 2013, with most rucks opting to dispose of the ball by hand, rather by foot. What some people may have forgotten, is that in 2012 – Thurlow got the job on eventual number one draft pick, Jonathan Patton in the crossover divisional and more than held his own – actually defeating Patton. Thurlow also won the Sam Gilbert Medal back in May, as the best on ground in the under 20 match between the NEAFL and SANFL. Thurlow will be 21 by the time the AFl season starts in 2014, and is AFL ready should he be called upon.

Patrick Ambrose
Club: Essendon VFL
Height: 191cms
Weight: 88kgs
Plays Like: Stewart Crameri

The Bullish half forward-come-midfielder will have the opportunity to slot into the Bombers‘ forward line, fitting the mould as a Stewart Crameri type. Playing seven senior VFL games this year with Essendon‘s standalone side, averaging 13 disposals, three tackles and six goals whilst also averaging 4.5 marks a game, demonstrating that he can clunk a big grab. Although Ambrose only kicked six goals in his seven appearances this year – he made his name at amateur level for Old Xaverians in 2011. It was here where he was influential in a season that his team went on to play out in the Grand Final, whilst coming runner-up in their best and fairest by one vote, despite missing three games that season. Ambrose has also shown fantastic scope to move into the midfield, where he‘s seen as an inside midfielder who can really extract the ball. Ambrose also runs a 16.3 beep test, and is a serious physical presence.

Dear Mr Speedy,

Thank you for posting, both sound promising.

From,  a lazy one. :P

71b9576675aaf876a35a5e657450eb35293cf032

Without knowing anything about these players prior to the wookie draft, I have to say I'm very happy with both. The Ambrose pick for me appears particularly good, given the wrap on his fitness, speed and his physicality. Sounds like he'll be hard to mark up on, hopefully he has some good goal sense. Also seems like a ripping bloke with a great attitude - I can see him making the most of it, hopefully he gets the opportunity to pick up a few games next year (but not at the expense of another Winder's or even a Chappy injury). Thurlow is the more contentious one for mine, given some of the other talls that were still around, so I'm going to back in our recruiters and watch with interest.

Welcome boys! All the best for 2014 and beyond.

Can't argue with the picks. Low risk, high reward on Thurlow and the club must no Ambrose well and see something in him.

A write up on the rookie draft

http://www.scpaige.com.au/2013-rookie-draft-verdict/

For the lazy ones....    Pretty hard not to be happy with those two pick ups.

Fraser Thurlow

Club: Labrador
DOB: 06.01.1993
Height: 199cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Forward
Plays Like: Dean Cox

A really physical and combative ruckman, Fraser Thurlow had an exceptional year with Labrador in the NEAFL over 16 games in 2013. Thurlow really fits the mould of the new-age ruck; he is both competitive and aggressive and offers the ability to push forward where he‘s know to take some good grabs and finish truly on goal. But perhaps the biggest talking point of Thurlow‘s game, wasn‘t just his tap work. He accumulated some big numbers in 2013, averaging 18.2 disposals, underlying his ability to find the ball around the ground, not too dissimilar to West Coast‘s Dean Cox. Thurlow is a ripping kick, and his numbers prove that he doesn‘t mind kicking the ball – with an average of 10.3 kicks per game in 2013, with most rucks opting to dispose of the ball by hand, rather by foot. What some people may have forgotten, is that in 2012 – Thurlow got the job on eventual number one draft pick, Jonathan Patton in the crossover divisional and more than held his own – actually defeating Patton. Thurlow also won the Sam Gilbert Medal back in May, as the best on ground in the under 20 match between the NEAFL and SANFL. Thurlow will be 21 by the time the AFl season starts in 2014, and is AFL ready should he be called upon.

Patrick Ambrose
Club: Essendon VFL
Height: 191cms
Weight: 88kgs
Plays Like: Stewart Crameri

The Bullish half forward-come-midfielder will have the opportunity to slot into the Bombers‘ forward line, fitting the mould as a Stewart Crameri type. Playing seven senior VFL games this year with Essendon‘s standalone side, averaging 13 disposals, three tackles and six goals whilst also averaging 4.5 marks a game, demonstrating that he can clunk a big grab. Although Ambrose only kicked six goals in his seven appearances this year – he made his name at amateur level for Old Xaverians in 2011. It was here where he was influential in a season that his team went on to play out in the Grand Final, whilst coming runner-up in their best and fairest by one vote, despite missing three games that season. Ambrose has also shown fantastic scope to move into the midfield, where he‘s seen as an inside midfielder who can really extract the ball. Ambrose also runs a 16.3 beep test, and is a serious physical presence.

after reading that im surprised they didn't go 1 & 2 in the national draft, you sure it wasn't their parents or coaches who done the write up ?

IMO Picking Thurlow up as an older (20) ruck prospect is a better scenario these days, than rookieing a 18 yo beanpole.

His acheivements sound good - beating patton, representing NEAFL in under 20 match and "plays like dean cox, accumulating Ruckman, those disposal numbers are good.

Patrick Ambrose -  AKA  Scrameri V 2.0 . Upgrade version with loyalty add on & FIGJAM Bug fix..

Thurlow trained with a labrador? 

Ambrose looks like a ripper of a bloke. Speaks well, looks good, has a large ■■■■■. I'm definitely his cowgirl.

"Whatever it takes"

Christmas has come early for TomsDons.

excuse the pun

Some advice for Ambrose if he really wants to fit into the Crameri role:

- Ride to training on a Malvern Star

- Don't work on your goalkicking

- Take an interest in tools

- Stay in touch with all your previous coaches

- Bench press TIPPA

- Bench press TIPPA

- Play tall

- Play small

- Bench press TIPPA

Why would he want to have anything to do with Darren Jolly?

I miss The Great ZO'B already.

Agreed - was the one I was watching all year. Many may have been sick of my ZOB calls and commentary at the VFL games...!!!

I reckon Ambrose has already been earmarked for a elevation/senior game time.

Seemed fairly confident on the BTV interview, as if he was on the senior list already. Already at the club yesterday in a club polo, has been training with us. Wouldn't be surprised if he comes in.

Ambrose... looks good....

Remember Tippa?

Also, did anyone else realise, Patty Ambrose is HOT

Also, did anyone else realise, Patty Ambrose is HOT

Im not surprised, it was 30°c in Melbourne yesterday

I'm more excited by these two that our picks in the National Draft.

Both these boys look set.