West Taiwan (aka CHINA)

I moved to Townsville one February and the rain was hitting the footpaths and immediately evaporating and rising as clouds of mist. I met a Malaysian guy on the bus who was wearing a woolen jumper and slacks. He said that he’d also just arrived but that it was cold and dry compared his home town.

3 Likes

The main issues with summer in HK are the evenings and the night - The days are usually fine with temperatures bearable but the evenings and night at times are tough with an average overnight temperature of 27 or 28C.

1 Like

The Urban Heat Island effect is definitely an issue in Hong Kong. The temperature hardly drops at all during the evening and nighttime hours and the humidity rises.

The New Territories in HK still have very warm nights but often more bearable.

2 Likes

Check out the moves

6 Likes

Wrong thread, surely ?

Should be in Red and Black Humour.

Reportedly a certain expat teacher Li has managed to bypass the great firewall to share vids in China of the Covid protests from his twitter account
One for the Chinese speakers.

@whyy-outouzhele

1 Like

They must have agonised on the wording of dot points 1 and 3.

1 Like

Y’all need to listen to this pod. Brilliant coverage of China in so many ways.

For those that haven’t followed this strangeness, India and China militaries have been fighting each other for years with baseball bats in the Himalayas. Big rumble this week.

2 Likes

Indigenous issues aside, thank ■■■■ Australia doesn’t have borders

4 Likes

Many years ago on my trip to India l spent 3 weeks in Kashmir. Included in that was 4 days in Ladakh up near the Chinese border. It took days to get there by bus even though it was only a distance of some 440 km. Part of that reason was because the bus was either going up or going down one of the 4 mountain passes that separate the regions. The other reason was because the bus often had to pull off the road and allow a convoy of Indian army trucks to pass going the other way. Sometimes the trucks were empty, sometimes they weren’t, but on many occasions these convoys were over 100 trucks long. At the time, l was informed that India had over 250,000 troops stationed in the mountains. It wasn’t only because of border disputes with China that the troops were there, as there were also border disputes with Pakistan as well.

3 Likes

Jimmy Rees Shut The Border GIF - Jimmy Rees Shut The Border NSW - Discover & Share GIFs

2 Likes

The 1966 Tashkent Declaration, when Russia brokered a peace deal with India and Pakistan.
Around the same time Russia was in a border war with China.

1 Like

I remember the border clash, there was a river involved in some places.

1 Like

After 3 1/2 months finally reunited with family, few days in Bangkok them tomorrow morning onto Melbourne. She is watching the ■■■■ show happening in China through the WeChat Groups. I know more people / friends now that have Covid in China than i had for the past 3 years globally.

I will guarantee you one things, Covid deaths will not rise in China.

11 Likes

Great news- enjoy.

Here is some official data re China. It will be a very hard act to maintain.

My understanding is that if you die with a sore toe and covid, then it was the sore toe that killed you.
They do have a different definition of a covid death.

1 Like

Good to hear that you are in the Land of Smiles after the rubbish you and your family have had to put up with.

1 Like

And the ■■■■ will use these official numbers to show the world his was right. It is far from the truth and you have Covid or you don’t. They think just because you are not in hospital it does not count

Crematoriums in Beijing not handling this wave. This brought to mind the “firing up” tweet that mocked India’s COVID cremations while China was sending people into space. How things change.

Also, no primary health care system, China is going to be in a world of pain for the next few months.