West Taiwan (aka CHINA)

Bacchus loves them.
Close thread.

2 Likes

Went to China in 2014 with my better half and daughter and made our way around on our own rather than in a tour. Certainly didnā€™t get into any political convos along the way but thatā€™s hardly unusual when youā€™re OS. Definitely got the impression that the people at least were open minded and eager for change. They were fascinated in our trio and we were constantly nagged for pics with the locals - very few solo tourists in those days apparently. Struck me as a populace champing at the bit for a bit of free leash even if the powers that be were lagging behind- similar feeling to Cuba. We stuck to major cities and tourist destinations so I canā€™t comment on the rural areas but the impression I got was a motivated, inquisitive and friendly people eager to enter the modern world.
PS Cigarette smoke in every eating place was a challenge and they didnā€™t get the idea of vegetarianism, but the absence of tipping was a delight.
PPS Oh my, remember the days when OS travel was more than a distant memory? Not sure I do.

2 Likes

2020 AFL Grand Final day

22 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome!

Be on the lookout for new profiles joining the group, the wu mao ren are everywhere.

1 Like

Looks like the Bomber fans had them completely outnumbered that day.

Pls, for the love of God, ā€¦ tell me we won that one!! :smile:

Pls explain??

Wu Mao = 5 fen (1 cent)
Ren = People

Massive centres of people that troll social media and news feeds posting comments or tracking comments and get paid 1c per comment made or found.

3 Likes

Traditional Bombers were the winners for the day, the BCGG - Beijing City Guo Guoā€™s (Grasshoppers) came second, the team in the clash strip, making up the numbers

1 Like

Ok, ā€¦ to what end? (Feel free to PM if necessary :wink:)

This is my favourite photo all my years of football here in China. We (Beijing Bombers) had a great win, there was great rejoicing. The photo is of 2 ex players and the cup full of beer. Carefully look what is between them.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know what it is, but he looks irrepressible.

2 Likes

Is it patient zero?

12 Likes

Think this is a political thing. Things from China are labelled ā€˜made in Chinaā€™, things from Taiwan are labelled ā€˜made in the PRCā€™.

Yep, monkeys are total pissheads.

1 Like

That was taken in Wuhan Iā€™m guessing?

1 Like

Steamed or fried?

Not quite, China is PRC (Peopleā€™s Republic of China), Taiwan is ROC (Republic Of China).

3 Likes

What, where?
I have been to China literally dozens of times and never knew about the Beijing Bombers. I must look it up next time Iā€™m there. I do love the ROC aswell though so hoping it is one of the first places included in a travel bubble with Australia

3 main teams in China (i will exclude for the moment). Beijing Bombers, Shanghai Tigers & Guangzhou Scorpians. Next time you travel to the Middle Kingdom drop a message to the one of the teams Facebook sites and find out what they are up too. There is a mini tournament coming up in Guangzhou on 19th December with players from Beijing, Nanjing and Shanghai heading down.

4 Likes