West Taiwan (aka CHINA)

Hows the footy scene in china?

It allowed me to add another 15 years to my football career. Honestly it has helped me keep some kind of sanity while living here. Nothing better than getting involved in a footy club to make new friends. The away games are the best, every real game is like an end of season footy trip, The worst part is the 2 hours we actually play the game that breaks up the good party. I have also been involved with the Chinese International team, i / my company financially backed them to go to the 2008 / 2011 International cups before Port Adelaide got involved.

8 Likes

7 Likes

I guess the Chinese teams are involved in the annual Asian Cup footy league - A number of Asian countries have Aussie rules competitions.

Yes mate, for the Asian Champs we combine and play as The China Reds, we will be far more competitive when we bring HK into the fold.

Ah - The Hong Kong Dragons - Doubt the expats in the team would give 2 hoots but it will be a sensitive issue for the one or two locals.

Itā€™s a funny world over here - Still canā€™t get the border open for Shenzhen or Macau

My family and I were looking for options for the Christmas holidays but HK was a no go as we would need to do 2 weeks quarantine on return

Fun fact, dim sims were invented in Melbourne around 1945 by a Chinese immigrant.

4 Likes

We need to erect a statue for this guy outside the MCG. Maybe even cannonise this person.

1 Like

I have worked around Asia a bit, but havenā€™t as yet been to China, much to my regret. I have been to Hong Kong pre the Chinese takeover, in 1995. All families I stayed with there were marvellous in their hospitality. Love the people, not crazy about their government.

This two week quarantine is a bummer - Singapore is a definite option as they are allowing business travellers from Mainland China and from the 18th of November will have a travel bubble open with Singapore which means no quarantine - My guess is Mainland China is soon to be on the cards - Thailand opened a limited travel bubble with Shanghai last month so this could be option - Iā€™ll have to sit it out for awhile because Singapore is not so appealing and I couldnā€™t visit my inlaws in Batam Island.

To cull the cat population?

Chinese burn my spring roll.

mic now disclosing his real purpose in beijing.
he did post some brilliant diversions over the past day or 2.

Things look hairy for China.

Twenty years ago one team was known as The China Blues. Do you know what happened to them?

I had a similar experience during the mid-Autumn festival in 2013, in Beijing. I had gone with a friend to the Forbidden City. Apart from being amazed by the huge size of the place, l was also taken aback by the number of people in the place. l was also an object of fascination for them, with around a hundred family groups asking to take a photo with me. These were people from all over China, and many had no English, but made their requests through actions, holding up their phones and smiling vaguely in my general direction. I didnā€™t have the heart to say no. There were also 10 -12 couples having some wedding photos taken in various spots.

1 Like

The second biggest political party in the World. 92 million members.

Everything is politics in China, ask @micinbeijing196.

I did some googling last night. This is all a lil too much for my brain to understand. Or rather, care to understand.

Iā€™ll just continue eating all the nice foods.

1 Like

Yep, a guy called Rooster who started the China expat team i believe was a Carlton supporter so the 1st playing kit was Scum jumpers. We played in them in 2002 / 03 Asian Champs. In 2004 / 05 we played as the Shanghai Tigers kit, 2006 onwards we adopted The China Reds as the official team nameā€¦

1 Like