Whales

I discussed this once before years ago but it still fascinates me.

Recently hundreds of people laboured for more than a day to push a stranded whale back out to deeper water so it could swim away. As far as I know it eventually swam off and was OK. Good for it.

But my question is

92421c56-62ce-4f7e-bb44-0eb2b3b4c70d_zps

Why don’t people care about these?

Imagine the outrage if the Japanese made a statement by replicating the above but with a giant tin of whales.

Explain why one tin of whales would cause moral outrage but millions of tins of sardines don’t.

Aren't sardines farm fished and grow in the millions?  Whales are very few and birth only one or two babies in their lifetime, their numbers face extinction. Sardines don't.

It is not about size, it is about numbers and sustainability.

Again, a VD thread fails to deliver.

Tuna might have been a slightly better example.

For some reason I was quite old before I discovered tuna was a freakin‘ big fish.

I reckon every country should harvest whales, why should the Japanese be the only ones to benefit?

Once they're all gone that's it, no more problem.

I reckon every country should harvest whales, why should the Japanese be the only ones to benefit?

whats your position on kittens stuck in trees

Cause they taste like dolphin, which isn’t very yummy.

whats your position on kittens stuck in trees

Not enough meat to be worth retrieving.

Nude whales wear clothing.

How good is milo?

Nuke the whales

F**ck you whale!

I don't get why the Japanese even harvest whale anyway. Don't they have tonnes and tonnes of whale meat that no one wants to eat anymore?

Why is it that every year

On remote coastlines

Labor leaders

Beach themselves?

Whole schools of them,

Apparently healthy Labor leaders

Thousands of miles off course and stranded,

Spume drifting from their tragic holes.

Why do they do it?

Is it not knowing where they are going?

Or is it guilt over where they have been?

There is no more futile prospect in nature

Than ordinary folk with flippers and buckets

Working urgently in the deepness of the shore

To turn the stricken Labor leaders around

Before nightfall.

- John Clarke

I think that Vinnie's question is a valid one.

If the whale population was healthy and the threat of extinction was not an issue, do you think people's opinions about whaling would change markedly? Or do people have some kind of natural aversion to seeing whales killed?

I think that possibly the greater the size and intelligence of an animal the more people subconsciously relate to those animals (as they in a sense appear to be more human).

I think that Vinnie's question is a valid one.

If the whale population was healthy and the threat of extinction was not an issue, do you think people's opinions about whaling would change markedly? Or do people have some kind of natural aversion to seeing whales killed?

I think that possibly the greater the size and intelligence of an animal the more people subconsciously relate to those animals (as they in a sense appear to be more human).

Did this five years or so ago.

It's a mammal thing.

no idea what the thread is about, but I did some whale watching in Byron last year. awesome creatures.

I'm gonna throw pandas into the mix here. Why are we so hellbent on saving them when they aren't even interested in saving themselves? Are we worried about who is going to eat all the bamboo once they're gone?