What is this? Selection pressure!? Changes for pies

May I request the thread title be amended to us playing the RACISTS please.

12 Likes

Let’s not look too far ahead, Don’t flirt with form. This week I will only make one change with Cox in Waterman out. If we make finals, Langford in Clarke out. If coach reckons Walla is good, then Walla for Guelfi (unfortunately).

Injuries permitting, I would not bring in Caldwell, Jones, Hooker, Zaka.

2 Likes

Keen to hear @Scorch’s views on Dylan Clarke’s kicking ability. The 15 posts on it hasn’t quite sunk in yet.

Surely taking the ■■■■.

Let Langers and Tippa rest up for an extra week and be cherry ripe for a potential final.

How can anyone suggest Guelfi should be omitted? Tough, pressure player who leaves it all out on the field (and also kicked two goals).

Cox the sub for Gleeson.

5 Likes

And all played good games today.

So Cox doesn’t feature at all, nor does Perkins and you’re keeping Clarke (assumedly for his precision kicking). And Guelfi? And I guess you’re going to start Parish on a Half Forward Flank and Merrett on the bench.

I take it you don’t do Facebook then?

Actually l do, but l don’t regard their various selections highly.

1 Like

Cox has been average in the last half of the season. Even if comes back I don’t know what role he would fit in. I much prefer Cutler, Durham, Shiel and McGrath on the wing. I don’t think he would be very good up front either.

3 Likes

Oh boy!

2 Likes

If I was told 12-18 months ago I would be saying this now, I would probably go for a psych assessment…

But Kyle Langford is an extremely important (and missing) component of this team right now. Out of all the players currently not playing/injury list (Caldwell, Jones, Tippa, Hooker, Hurley etc) he is our most important.

Different dimension to the team when he is playing and playing well.

2 Likes

Well since you asked. Firstly 15 is an embellishment.
Clarke can’t hit the side of a barn and is a liability by foot. Turned it over at a critical stage of the VFL game in QLD a few weeks ago. Today was the same again. Surprised he’s still on the list.
His inability to hit targets will be exploited during finals when he has even less time to dispose of it.
Can get his hands on it, and is willing but I’m not convinced that’s enough unless he’s been brought in to do a tagging job.

The comments section in the Essendon groups is genuinely often baffling. I assume it’s the same for all clubs.

1 Like

Whoa, what a crime, a turnover in a VFL game weeks ago.
FYI he hit targets today.

1 Like

How good does it feel to have 25-26 best 22 players…

3 Likes

What was the surprise last year?

That the comp even got there

6 Likes

No changes for mine.

4 Likes

Definitely don’t flirt with form. Anyone that’s been out for too long (Caldwell, Zaka, Jones) do not bring in.
Our ”team chemistry” is getting better as we go, but another game will help, let’s not go backwards by bringing in guys who have been out most of the year.
Not sure about Tippa, how fit can you get in 10 days? but if his body is good to go again (assuming it was his body that was the problem) then get him back in.
Hooker and Zaka are interesting. Lots of experience (inc. some finals), club icons, certainly they would give it their all if they were to play another final. But weigh that up against guys like Cox and Perkins, who we expect will be playing many finals in the future, how important is it that they get some finals experience this early on?
Personally I think we need to take development and and sentimentality out of the game, and play our best 22 next week with a view to taking that 22 into finals week one.
If Tippa and Langford become available, I would probably bring them in for Waterman (or Smith, maybe give him a week off to make him hungry) and Perkins.

10 Likes

I put about as much thought into it as your proposed team changes.

14 Likes