What the hell? Beer bottle rapists?

Rape-accused are Brisbane Lions squad players

TWO of the men accused of raping a Brisbane teenager with a beer bottle on Australia Day are aspiring Brisbane Lions players.

A 19-year-old man appeared in the Brisbane Magistrates Court this morning charged with rape, observations or recordings in breach of privacy and three counts of distributing prohibited visual recordings.

It is alleged he recorded the university student being raped with a beer bottle while passed out on Australia Day.

The student reportedly only found out after it was posted on Facebook.

The court was told this morning two of the accused were “quality football players”.

The player in court applied to have his bail conditions changed so he could have contact with one of the co-accused for training purposes.

“He’s in the training squad for the Lions and the other bloke that is charged with him … is also in that squad,” defence solicitor Eugene O’Sullivan said.

Mr O’Sullivan then described the incident as a “youthful prank”.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Scott Pearson objected to the change in bail arrangements.

The Brisbane Magistrates Court has denied the man’s application to vary bail so he can train with his co-accused.

He declined to say anything outside court.

The other three men will appear in court at a later date.

Wow. Didn't realise how backwards some of you guys were.

Rape is rape. Doesn’t matter if it’s a guy or a girl, or whether it was done as a “prank”. Without consent, it is rape.

I think it’s incredibly insensitive to compare 2 sexual assault cases, and disregard 1 situation and the victim involved.

See, I think it’s insensitive to classify a group sexual assault to a bottle hanging out of your mates ■■■■.

I’m interested to know if those that say this should be classified in the same category actually know someone who has been raped? I do, I didn’t want to bring any of this up because it’s not my story to tell but seeing what that did to her mental state over years was heartbreaking.

People have pointed out the definition of the law in here many times and they’re 100% correct in a black and white way. But I do think they’d struggle to compare that story to that of my ex girlfriend’s, especially explaining it to her face.

Basically I think we need a new definition for something like the bottle bandits actions.

Sexual penetration without consent is rape. Fair enough, there are degrees of abuse, but’s still rape.

So, ‘its rape but its kinda not because someone else was raped worse’.

you’re argument is ■■■■■■.

I'm pretty evil so I laughed at this story. Footy clubs are all messed up. We had a bloke that just loved to ■■■■ on the guy next to him in the shower after training. You'd feel something warm on your leg and then see the yellow on the ground.

I’m sure this bloke is traumatised but am I the only one that thinks calling this rape kind of devalues that term? How would a woman who had been forcefully attacked by a stranger in the park feel when he experience is compared to that?

Are you farkin serious

Yeah I am. I’m not talking gender specific, it could be a man attacking another man in the park too.
I just don’t see how something that was dumb but done as a prank can compare to a full on sexual assault.

Jill Meagher’s last moments in life cannot possibly be compared, yet technically they were both classified as raped. That to me, doesn’t do what Jill had to go through justice.

I think Bloodstained Devils(?) got closest when he said that judge and jury will decide on the severity with the sentence.
I understand where you’re coming from though, and completely agree. There are degrees of severity (and I had to edit that to avoid an unfortunate pun).
Rape to me, and I suspect you, is a very, very strong word. I take it to mean violent and aggressive sex against someone’s will.
If the technical definition is simply penetration regardless of context then fine, call it rape. But I can imagine far worse sexual assaults without any penetration at all.

I also wonder how this would have gone without the public humiliation of facebook. If the two of them had told the guy a week later that when he was smashed a week ago they stuck a bottle up his ■■■■.

Right wrong good bad.

Still freaking gross.

It just shows that context is everything. An act that could mentally scar someone and ruin their life, could empower someone else.

That was sort of my point in a disgusting way. Those blokes are lifelong mates and that was not their first rodeo together. Notorious for that sort of stuff really. To the bystander it’s disgusting. To people that know them it was just x and y being x and y. Also, all of that ■■■■ took place in a private residence, and FWIW, x and y are no longer at the club. (Which is not f***ed might I add)

The point I was trying to illustrate is that when on the pi$$, some young males are truly horrible people. If they then get their audience wrong (context, as Wannabe put it) or involve someone they shouldn’t as well, there’s bound to be trouble, and that’s what I’d wager happened up at Brisbane.

Anyway. Enough from me in this thread. I’ve disgusted enough people.

Lots of people are horrible. But the really horrible part is people thinking sexual assault is acceptable. It isn’t.

you can never find a bottle opener when you need one

Bottle up the ■■■■ of a sleeping person is rape. Simple as.

Delete this thread, old fogies are stuck in their ways.

Wow. Didn’t realise how backwards some of you guys were.

Rape is rape. Doesn’t matter if it’s a guy or a girl, or whether it was done as a “prank”. Without consent, it is rape.

I think it’s incredibly insensitive to compare 2 sexual assault cases, and disregard 1 situation and the victim involved.

thats legit ■■■■■■ up.

I'm pretty evil so I laughed at this story. Footy clubs are all messed up. We had a bloke that just loved to ■■■■ on the guy next to him in the shower after training. You'd feel something warm on your leg and then see the yellow on the ground.

I’m sure this bloke is traumatised but am I the only one that thinks calling this rape kind of devalues that term? How would a woman who had been forcefully attacked by a stranger in the park feel when he experience is compared to that?

Rape is rape. The gender of the person is irrelevant.

Nothing to do with gender. Could be a man raping a man, same thing applies.

Honestly how would you go in a rape group counselling session, standing up to tell your story after the person before you has told about their horrific group assault and saying 2 mates took a pic of a beer bottle hanging out of your ■■■■.

You really think they should be compared?

Are you farkin serious

Yeah I am. I’m not talking gender specific, it could be a man attacking another man in the park too.
I just don’t see how something that was dumb but done as a prank can compare to a full on sexual assault.

Jill Meagher’s last moments in life cannot possibly be compared, yet technically they were both classified as raped. That to me, doesn’t do what Jill had to go through justice.

Right wrong good bad.

Still freaking gross.

Particularly if you were planning on finishing your beer!

Wim, FWIW, Lovett was originally charged with digital rape. Still rape. Putting something into an orifice of someone who hasn't consented = rape.

And the ‘only finding out on Facebook’ makes it considerably worse, not better.

and you’re being real weird in here.

I’m being dispassionate on a subject that some people are passionate about, so I’ll cop the weird tag.
I think it’s weirder that people accuse me of saying it’s okay, or funny, or that the facebook thing makes it better. But whatevs.

Wim, FWIW, Lovett was originally charged with digital rape.
Still rape.
Putting something into an orifice of someone who hasn’t consented = rape.

And the ‘only finding out on Facebook’ makes it considerably worse, not better.

and you’re being real weird in here.

They’ve got all sorts of problems up there in Brissy. Once the dust settles on their newest babies, the AFL will no doubt have to look at some other way to make Brissy successful again.

Lol

The court was told this morning two of the accused were “quality football players”.

This is relevant, how?

Good lawyer.