What value Colorado?

Did some one put the lid on so hard the sides are starting to crumble in? Settle down guys, it's round 6 not round 16. I'd rather hit form in July than April anyways. 

Let me be fitness coach. Ill make them ■■■■

Let me be fitness coach. Ill make them ■■■■

Well we are definitely in trouble if they need a coach to teach them that.

I have no idea about the benefits (or lack of) of altitude training.
What I do know is that the AFL basket case of two years ago is now on top of the ladder. They look big, strong and fit and are running out games strongly.
Their fitness guy thinks altitude training is a croc and prefers some other method (heat training I think).
Is there a correlation? Dunno, but makes you think.

Is this the same team that went to Saudi Arabia or some shyeet only to be there for their coldest summer week in 10 years or something?

Abu Dhabi
They were run into the ground over there. Read an article about their training today, they were smashed harder than any team Burgess has worked with.

What's it for? Altitude? Heat? Humidity? Or just taking them away for intensity/isolation

YOU CaNT BEAT HARD WORK.

You can train in Mars if you want, but at the end of the day volume and intensity of training count.

The big question is how we finish the season, if we finish strong then this is what the goal may be. Will be interesting to watch Port later this year.

• Mars training bookings can be made via PM to me.

i try to get high every week ,  doesnt always work out that way

i try to get high every week ,  doesn't always work out that way

Don't worry. As you get older you get better organised.

Dyson can now make the best Snow-Angels in the AFL.
That's about it.

Based on Bombers public comments earlier this year, it sounds like he thinks the two weeks offered little because of the atrocious weather.

With the players CBA giving them 8 weeks off, instead of 6 weeks, it pushes the dates further back for overseas training. And if you are going to a Colorado type place it has to be in November as December is winter time. I would still like to know if you get the same effects of altitude training indoors as compared to outdoors.  

We will have our own altitude facilities at Tulla in weeks. No need to go there again.

Is this a serious post?
Don't know about the time frame, but will there be altitude rooms there - yes.

The altitude room is currently being constructed. It's inside the hangar.

I don't care if they build another storey on top of the hangar, its not going to be high enough to make a difference. What's it meant to be, an altitude training facility for ants?

Did Port Adelaide go to Colorado?  They are the fitness benchmark at this stage of the year.

Did Port Adelaide go to Colorado?  They are the fitness benchmark at this stage of the year.

They went to Dubai for heat training. Although this year it was hotter in Adelaide than it was in Dubai while they were there.

They went to Dubai for heat training. Although this year it was hotter in Adelaide than it was in Dubai while they were there.

i assume the humidity would be the killer in dubai

Lots of fighters use altitude training and it works, but not sure what benefit it would have for football. The reason it works for fighters is they have a one off event they can train for. They can tailor the camps perfectly for that one day. Football has an entire season. It's insanity to think work done 9-10 months earlier will have any benefit to our fitness in September.

I suppose if you had altitude facilities you could use throughout the season at your club it would be of a huge benefit but I think I read somewhere that doing it in the pre-season it only gives an advantage for 4-5 weeks until it finally wears off but I think most teams use it as a foundation for their fitness bases.
Once we get one at the training facilities will we be the only team in the league to have that at our disposal throughout a season?

Who knows.

Port's fitness coach has gone on record saying he is more of a fan of training in heat than altitude. A large benefit of any sort of intense training is the mental aspect as well, knowing that you can push yourself past where you thought you could. I'm not sure we have that at the moment so you really have to question the benefit of going to Colorado.

It's actually one of the major concerns I have with the club. I think our list is in fantastic shape, as good as any going around, but mentally we are bottom four. After each loss we have a heap of excuses why it happened. Injuries, short breaks, heat - it's nearly ALWAYS something out of our control. 

I'd rather bring in a sports psychologist than spend the money on another trip to Colorado.

I think you will find its the Essendon supporters bringing up the excuses more than the players etc. Jobe, and Heppell are on record saying that st Kilda were the better team on the night.

I will add one point though, that is due to the closeness of the competition at the moment if you are off 5% then that can be a loss.

The cats against port had a shorter turnaround from previous week and had to travel, which affected the result, however so did poor coaching and Hinkleys knowledge of the cats and exploiting Enright with pinpoint disposal as he reads the play and lets his man off the loose.

This is also a bit alarming as it means the teams with good disposal by foot will be focusing on fletcher/Hooker/Hibberd and playing through their men which in turn reduces the ability of our players to zone off. 

We will have our own altitude facilities at Tulla in weeks. No need to go there again.

Is this a serious post?
Yes, on the hangar when the ad comes on about the solar panels on the roof of our centre, Hurley says were getting an altitude chamber

The theory behind high altitude training at the beginning of pre-season (from a fitness perspective) is about allowing the players to train harder and establish larger gains in their fitness base, which will then hopefully translate into running a season out better than they would otherwise.

Very hard to determine whether or not it actually works I suspect... I mean the players might smash records when they come back, fine. But are they still smashing records 3 months later, or is the increase in fitness base from being able to train that little bit harder negligible?

I'd say it would be pretty hard to prove one way or the other.

Short term exposure at high altitudes has no measureable impact on aerobic fitness according to most sports scientists and sports institutes. There can be some small, short term benefits but these are lost very quickly once the athlete returns to sea level. At high altitude there is less oxygen available so the body, especially the respiratory system, needs to work harder to maintain the oxygen levels normally experienced at seas level. Over time the body learns to adapt and use the available oxygen more efficiently.

The Kenyan, Ethiopian etc distance runners live and run in high altitudes. They have done this for years and their bodies are very, oxygen efficient machines. Their physiology is very unique and has been the subject of many sport science papers.

Swede Lasse Viren, 1972 Olympic 5000 and 10,000 metre gold medallist, was the first non African athlete to identify the potential of high altitude training. With sports medicine experts he began a program of removing whole blood after high altitude training for many months, removing the red cells and returning the plasma proteins to the body (plasmaphoresis). The oxygen rich and optimised red cells were frozen away and systematically reintroduced into the body just before competition. His performances at the Olympics were extraordinary. These days this practice is banned.

I would suggest that some athletes may exhibit small increases in performance at and after high altitude training but this is more likely psychological than physiological. 

How many goal Colorado kick?

Sorry, but Lasse Viren was a Finn???