Whatever the fark round it is non Essington games

Hire this man

1 Like

I think we are trying to play similar style to Collingwood strangely enough. The main difference is their preparedness to take the dangerous kick in the back half & more often than not pull it off. Phillips, Langdon, Howe & Dunn are all pretty good kicks and they take the 45* angle kick to open the ground up while Melbourne presses up hard. They held their structure forward of the ball too. How many times were players isolated goal side of their opponents on the break? I reckon Stephenson, WHE, Cox and Mihocek(?) were beneficiaries of holding their position while those D50 kicks opened up the field, allowing them space to run back towards goal. It doesnā€™t have to be perfect after that initial exit kick because of the space the opposition press allows. Itā€™s smart play.

Today was a battle of two forward half teams but Collingwood dominated clearances and the contested work, DeGoey was outstanding in the contest and away from it. Sidebottom is a gun yet is somehow IMO underrated. Pendlebury & Trelaor were solid. Adams stuck to his limitations, ordinary kick but good in close hands. Play to your strengths which is something I think weā€™ve been poor at at times.

When weā€™re faced with a hard pressing team, weā€™ve been more inclined to chip it around and allow the press closer to goal. It makes life too difficult for the defenders to exit, the effect is two fold, opposition have more repeat entries and opportunities to score and makes it harder for us to transition. Collingwood were no doubt working on this last year. There was good aspects to their play last year, they just couldnā€™t get the quality forward entries. Theyā€™re getting them this year and theyā€™re converting much better.

6 Likes

Iā€™d rather the competition fold then sit through another Pies premiership before us.

2 Likes

hate collingwood with a passion but it was great to see the way they treated the ex-fire fighter with mnd

2 Likes

Last year in his column Hirdy wrote that Pies would be top 4 by end of 2018 if they kept the faith in Buckley. I thought he was mad. Never doubt the Hirdy.

1 Like

So long as we get another before FCFC, ā€¦ I can die a happy man.

Collingwood spent a lot of last year (and the start of this year) looking absolutely putrid.

Do you think we are on the same path?
Could we have a year like the pies are having this year, next year?

Yes,ā€¦ thatā€™s the plan.

Ironically, weā€™re gonna need FCFC to get good again, before we are a chance. We form what a young Obi-Wan Kenobi would call a ā€˜symbian circleā€™ with them.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know TBH. There were aspects of the way they were playing last year that are the same, ie that 45* kick from defence but they werenā€™t nailing it often last year, their forwards pushed too far up the ground and when they got clean ball through the midfield, their forwards were quite often out of position making midfield to forward connection difficult. Theyā€™re better structured forward of the ball this year, theyā€™re executing skill better and theyā€™re applying much more pressure this year. They were over 200 in the pressure rating today, for the sixth time of the season. They didnā€™t hit that rating at all last year IIRC, they were close against Freo in Perth.

Take out that putrid game against hawthorn in round one and i actually think Collingwood have been reasonably consistent this year. They pushed GWS all the way in round two before GWS started having players dropping like 9 pins. They were solid against Carlton, terrific in Adelaide, too good on ANZAC Day, good until the last qtr against Tigers, ok against Geelong in a low scoring tussle, workmanlike against lions, dogs & saints. I think overall theyā€™ve closed the gap markedly from their best to their worst. A challenge we must face head on.

3 Likes

You canā€™t fkn say that!! Wash your mouth out Peos!!

chop

1 Like

Donā€™t be absolutely ridiculous Heffsgirlā€¦

Itā€™sā€¦"than sit through another Pies Premiership "

2 Likes

What?

The last time we won a flag, we beat them in the prelim. (And the only reason we didnā€™t go back to back was becauseā€¦)

The flag before that, we actually beat them in the GF. The two flags before that, they were a top 4 sideā€¦

Thereā€™s actually quite a bit more to support the theory, but thatā€™s the obvious ones.

Oh right, ā€¦bring the fkn facts into it why donā€™t you, ā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Typical ā€¦

1 Like

I think you are right. Maybe we havenā€™t got a third rounder.

I assume you havenā€™t hid these feelings from Mr Heff.

I have. In fact I put on a smile (albeit through gritted teeth) when they won yesterday.

Some spouses cheat with others, or lie about finances. I pretend Iā€™m happy for him when his team win.

10 Likes

I hope @Stallion didnā€™t get too hurt.

2 Likes

I hope he never stumbles on your Blitz account, although he may surprise and just say - yeh I figured you were faking it!

2 Likes

Wrong. Collingwood are playing large parts of our 2017 game plan. but they have a better midfield than us, and a top ruckman is giving them first use. Gawn looked slow and Gawn is supposed to be THE top ruckman.

However, Collingwood have not beaten many of the ā€œtop teamsā€ yet. Lets see how they go against Tigers, West Coast, North, Port and the Swans. Its not an easy draw for them.