Who Should We Draft?

My two cents, don't think (other than Wright) there will be a ruckmen worth getting in the draft but should look at a ruck as a rookie this year. Which mirrors our ruck depth from this year. Albeit downgrade in talent Ryder > Giles. 

Do though agree with the notion that we need some more key position depth / development so that way we can use those flexible KPP's in the best 22. Eg. Playing Carlisle ruck, hurls forward etc.... Would love Durdin, Lever or Goddard but think Marchbank is a viable option...!?

My two cents, don't think (other than Wright) there will be a ruckmen worth getting in the draft but should look at a ruck as a rookie this year. Which mirrors our ruck depth from this year. Albeit downgrade in talent Ryder > Giles. 

Do though agree with the notion that we need some more key position depth / development so that way we can use those flexible KPP's in the best 22. Eg. Playing Carlisle ruck, hurls forward etc.... Would love Durdin, Lever or Goddard but think Marchbank is a viable option...!?

Strong rumours around today that Geelong are gonna take Marchbank at 10. Reality is, all the best KPPs are very very likely gone by 17. 

St Kilda confirmed will be taking McCartin as number one pick Herald Sun is saying

Would be a mistake in my opinion. Good for us however as it will make some others slip via knock on effect.
When you are in St.Kilda's position and are starting from scratch with a complete rebuild, you take the best available player (Pertracca) in my opinion.
However I can understand the thought behind it as KPP are a lot harder to find and develop than midfielders but I would have thought if that was their thinking they would have been better off trading the number one pick to say a team with the 5-10 pick plus another player they wanted from their team and selected Wright. (Much like Melbourne in 2013 when they downgraded their pick and received Dom Tyson from GWS plus another first rounder).

They tried their best to swap the No 1 pick for 2 in the top ten IIRC.

I think they were offered 4 & 7 for 1 from GWS. So it would suggest they had identified the talent they wanted early on. IIRC I think Chris Pelchen was on radio after the trade period had concluded, and he was speaking saying they had very good offers fielded to them for selection 1. As we know now, they obviously held onto that pick, but perhaps Pelchen went against advice from board members by not accepting the offer from GWS and hence he was sacked. Then by denomination, you could say that he had his eyes set on Petracca, but since, there may have been a split between McCartin and Petracca, hence the dilemma and confusion only one day out from the draft. With my little knowledge I would hazard-a-guess and say they'd got for Petracca, due to the fact that they're taking Membrey (I know he's a third-tall) and want to develop Spencer White, couple that with the fact they've got two potential premier ruckman they will be hopeful they can use them both during a match, so expect them to both play forward 50% game time. That gives them four genuine targets up-front at any one time. I think it would be silly for them to take a KPF with #1 because chances are it would prohibit one of their good falls from getting some solid experience. 

Whether they select McCartin or Petracca isn't likely to effect our selection either way, because I would say the top-four is pretty much set in stone, just the order is to be decided on. Pickett looks a certainty to go to GWS at 4, so Collingwood doesn't swoop on him at 5. Then after 5, its pretty much a free for all. I do not think Wright will last to 17, and he should definitely be the priority if he does get there, and I'm sure Dodoro and co. are ready to swoop if he lasts. Recent phantoms have seen Geelong taking him, but I don't really think that's feasible considering who they've picked up in this trade period (Rhys Stanley and Mitch Clark) who both have some very good footy in front of them. I'm reasonably excited about the talk of Touk as well, he seems like a very good prospect, with a lot of his peers giving him odds on, to win the rising star for next season. His kicking style is somewhat questionable, but he must have a great desire to work hard considering the physical obstacles he has had to overcome to turn himself into a top-end junior.

For me, a lot hinges on who Collingwood decide to go with, with pick 5. Do they go a KPP with Darcy Moore at 9? They're back six isn't the best, and they've lost HarryO and Maxwell who were spuds, but played roles in the side. So would they look at Lever or Durdin? If that happens, then that changes everything, because it leaves on extra gun midfielder on the board. 

A lot of who we select also depends on whose available, I think Dodoro will be looking for contrasting players, I don't think getting Weller and Garlett would make sense, both are very good players, but are both outside - there games are slightly different. Garlett is more run and gun, and Weller is a good outside ball user, but maybe a contrast beside inside-outside mids and/or KPP-mid.

I'm really hoping we take two from;

Peter Wright

Jarrod Garlett

Jordan DeGoey

Caleb Marchbank

Hugh Goddard

Paul Ahern

Lachie Weller

Nakia Cockatoo

Jayden Laverede, &

Touk Miller (If none of the above are available)

Finally, I'd wrap up by saying, if I was asked to guarantee the selection of one player, I would say Garlett is the biggest lock I can think of. Obviously this is stab in the dark, but reading a bit of pieces there's a lot of content saying we've put a lot of time into him, so here's hoping!

Strong rumours around today that Geelong are gonna take Marchbank at 10. Reality is, all the best KPPs are very very likely gone by 17.

Especially when Marchbank is still rated the best KPB in the draft even after missing most of the year through injury (or all of it? I cannot remember).

Especially when Marchbank is still rated the best KPB in the draft even after missing most of the year through injury (or all of it? I cannot remember).

You're thinking of Lever.  Marchbank missed a bit of time injured, but Lever missed the whole year

Marchbank is a third tall. Are you thinking of Lever?

if I was asked to guarantee the selection of one player, I would say Garlett is the biggest lock I can think of. Obviously this is stab in the dark, but reading a bit of pieces there's a lot of content saying we've put a lot of time into him, so here's hoping!

FWIW, GC and the Tin rattlers are both keen on Garlett too. 

You're thinking of Lever. Marchbank missed a bit of time injured, but Lever missed the whole year

I stand corrected.
Thankyou HM and TD.

if I was asked to guarantee the selection of one player, I would say Garlett is the biggest lock I can think of. Obviously this is stab in the dark, but reading a bit of pieces there's a lot of content saying we've put a lot of time into him, so here's hoping!

Yep. I'm sure there is a lot of interest from elsewhere. We share similar needs as those clubs so not too out of the ordinary. Thus we're all interested in Weller, Nakia & Garlett etc.

Yep. I'm sure there is a lot of interest from elsewhere. We share similar needs as those clubs so not too out of the ordinary. Thus we're all interested in Weller, Nakia & Garlett etc.

You'd think/hope we'd end up with one of those 3 players at 17.

You're thinking of Lever.  Marchbank missed a bit of time injured, but Lever missed the whole year

From my understanding Marchbank was the least rated of the top-line KPP's in the draft. Behind Lever, Goddard, Durdin hence the slim hope he'd be available. Carlton being at pick 19 does make it awkward though on top of the fact that he might not be available.     

You'd think/hope we'd end up with one of those 3 players at 17.

Insert whydon'twehaveboth.gif.
I think we could nab 2 of the 3 if we get lucky.
Out of those the preference should be:
1. Weller
2. Cockatoo
3. Garlett

I wonder if Saints taking Mc Cartin at 1 means they think Reece Mc Kenzie will be gone by 21, which pushes a good mid closer to 17

McCartin is a perfectly worthy pick 1 in his own right from what I've seen.  He was hampered this year by injury, but he's a very very good player.  Some people are talking as if the Saints are overlooking the clear best available in Petracca, but I don't think this is the case at all.

I wonder if Saints taking Mc Cartin at 1 means they think Reece Mc Kenzie will be gone by 21, which pushes a good mid closer to 17

First off, Welcome!

Good question though, but that would insinuate, that Wright would be off the board a lot earlier than 17. Which would be devastating but more than understandable. Then as you say, definitely leave some quality mids at our picks!

I have never seen a draft with so many players have injury clouds, any of these guys with clouds could be the next gumbleton or on the other selwood if they get their body right

Brett Anderson has us taking Ahern at 17 and Garlett at 20.

BUT… Has Weller going at 19 to the scum.

I would have thought we would take Weller over Ahern? Mock draft I know but he has a few questionables with Miller going at 30 along with Lamb at 31 and Blakely at 32.

Interesting Emma Qs article on Petracca vs mccartin saying the petracca has an issue with his psychological profile, that he is too much of a big head and would be too difficult to manage.

Though it was an odd thing to write, anybody else heard this?

1 more sleep.

Looking at Garlett’s highlights again, does he remind anyone else of a former Essendon player? A one: Andrew Lovett?

The he runs and carries mixed with that kicking style reminds me a hell of a lot of him.