Who would want to be a No. 1 draft pick?

Recruiters have been tracking kids since U15's nowadays. 

West Coast Eagles have hidden a couple in the last few years I reckon.

Like who?

West Coast Eagles have hidden a couple in the last few years I reckon.

Like who?

Hidden is the wrong word.

But I reckon Darling dropped a lot lower than he should've due to behavioural issues.  It's as good an excuse as any.

I would be happy to be pick one.

I would also be rather surprised

Or just half-■■■■ it for a season like Anthony Rocca did for Sydney.

To answer the thread title question though, I wouldn't.
I'm not in peak condition, and I was always a bit over-rated anyway.

Nathen Buckley put his heart and soul into the bears before he was cruely delisted and forced to go to pies

I reckon the real reason why you wouldn't want to be a no 1 draft pick is all the media attention you get when you probably just want to start your career by focusing on your football. Not to mention all the extra pressure when pick 7 starts outperforming you and you just know all your teams fans wish they took that other guy instead of you.

I actually think these sorts of factors have actually stifled the development of a number of #1 picks in recent years. In fact over the long run most #1 draft picks tend to be in the pretty good to very good category rather than actual stars with some notable exceptions of course . Although they had a good run in the early 2000s (before all the media exposure really began to ramp up and the draft became this massive event that is even televised).

I reckon the real reason why you wouldn't want to be a no 1 draft pick is all the media attention you get when you probably just want to start your career by focusing on your football. Not to mention all the extra pressure when pick 7 starts outperforming you and you just know all your teams fans wish they took that other guy instead of you.

I actually think these sorts of factors have actually stifled the development of a number of #1 picks in recent years. In fact over the long run most #1 draft picks tend to be in the pretty good to very good category rather than actual stars with some notable exceptions of course . Although they had a good run in the early 2000s (before all the media exposure really began to ramp up and the draft became this massive event that is even televised).

Interesting perspective.  Rookie,  If footy comes easy because you have the skills,  its all too tempting to fall in with the "bad crowd".  Can the average 18 year old handle fast cars,  footy chicks,  legal alcohol and lots of money ?    I suspect  its with great difficulty, and when a kid is hyped up in the media,  and thinks he might be a latter day Buddy,  its potentially a problem.

Clubs take these kids and try to get them to share digs with a sensible older player as mentor, but its hard to keep stars grounded.

"Who would want to be a number 1 draft pick?"

I bet that's a question Jack Watts often asks

Well I have always reckoned that the draft is bullshite. Can’t believe they have got away with forcing kids to move interstate in order to play the sport they love.

And if you think it does any thing to “equalise” the competition then you are all crazy.

Salary cap is fair and I reckon that is all they should have in place. Draft is rubbish and I wish someone tested it I court. If one of my sons was good enough and was drafted to West Coast during its drug period, I would have taken it to court.

Well I have always reckoned that the draft is bullshite. Can't believe they have got away with forcing kids to move interstate in order to play the sport they love.
And if you think it does any thing to "equalise" the competition then you are all crazy.
Salary cap is fair and I reckon that is all they should have in place. Draft is rubbish and I wish someone tested it I court. If one of my sons was good enough and was drafted to West Coast during its drug period, I would have taken it to court.

overreacting. its a cost of playing professional sport.

Well I have always reckoned that the draft is bullshite. Can't believe they have got away with forcing kids to move interstate in order to play the sport they love.
And if you think it does any thing to "equalise" the competition then you are all crazy.

The draft does a decent job of equalisation, but it needs things like priority picks to work well.
Much MUCH more equal than zones or letting the rich clubs buy the best kids.

O

M

G

I checked at work.

All men I work with would be delighted to be pick 1

The draft does a decent job of equalisation, but it needs things like priority picks to work well.
Since when do priority picks work?
And the rich clubs do buy the best kids. Hasn't changed.

Since when do priority picks work?
And the rich clubs do buy the best kids. Hasn't changed.
Funnily enough I remember Goddard, Hayes, Dal Santo and Riewoldt playing most/all of their career for the Saints...
Priority picks worked really well. Over the period they existed they had a fantastic impact. Look at the eight year period from 1999 to 2006 where all but one team played in a preliminary final (Bulldogs, who did in 1998/2008). Six different premiers. Then the AFL started diluting priority picks (right when it would have been good for us).
Result? In the eight years subsequent to 2006 five teams have failed to make a preliminary final (ignoring GWS/GCS), there have been only 4 premiers, and a bunch of those teams that have missed look miles off reaching one (Carlton, Melbourne, Brisbane). Sure, it's not only priority picks - the draft dilution from the new teams and free agency have had an impact. But make no mistake the lack of first round priority picks is a big driver. They're what encourages teams to rebuild, and gives a team a chance to build a core of elite talent to build around.