Who would want to be a No. 1 draft pick?

Ok,  so you are a really good footballer,  you are 18 and you are going in the draft.

Maybe potentially you are pick no 1.

But you want to play with a top side,  a big club ( reasons for top players to eventually make their way to Essendon) 

But as top draft pick you are going to go to Brisbane,  Footscray,  or St Kilda,  instead of Hawthorn, Essendon,  Geelong.  Not what you want.

So,  do you tank a bit,  so you are selected at round 12-18 ,  because the risk is being pushed over into the second round and end up being picked by a low level club.... dit dah.

Surely here is a way to work the system?

Ok,  so you are a really good footballer,  you are 18 and you are going in the draft.

Maybe potentially you are pick no 1.

But you want to play with a top side,  a big club ( reasons for top players to eventually make their way to Essendon) 

But as top draft pick you are going to go to Brisbane,  Footscray,  or St Kilda,  instead of Hawthorn, Essendon,  Geelong.  Not what you want.

So,  do you tank a bit,  so you are selected at round 12-18 ,  because the risk is being pushed over into the second round and end up being picked by a low level club.... dit dah.

Surely here is a way to work the system?

I heard he had a dodgy groin.

given there are 18 clubs the chance of getting to the club you want are rare.

You just play the best you can to be selected.

look at pies father son, he could have tanked and pies used only second or third round pick on him. But try telling a kid to not to play at his best, which may mean his team loses and nothing is guaranteed.

the only scenario where this option may be applicable is where player was highly rated, and instead of rushing back from injury takes extra time off and only plays the last few games under the guarantee a club will pick him up.

IMO the Best way of tanking the draft is to put in a poor draft camp or rumour of injury - oestitis pubis / dodgy groins or dodgy knees - selwood

Become an illegitimate son maybe,  must be plenty of those around ?

You could do this:

Magpies officials asked Dare how he would feel if he were drafted by the club, only for the teenager to respond with words to the effect of: "You either love Collingwood or hate Collingwood, and I barrack for Essendon, so you know where I sit."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nothing-average-about-joe-dare/story-e6frf9if-1225794832540

(This was from 2009, and unfortunately the kid ended up as a rookie at Fark Carlton and got delisted a couple of years later.)

Wingard told GWS he had no interest in playing for them.

A #1 pick earns a LOT more money of the course of their draftee contract than even a guy drafted late in the first round.  Even assuming you only sign for your basic 2 year draftee contract, it could very easily be over $100k difference.(more, considering a #1 pick is more likely to get gifted early games than a #20, just ask KAV).  And #1 picks benefit from second chances that later picks don't - a club is much less likely to kick a #1 pick after a couple of years if they're not really performing and maybe playing up off the field, than they are to make an example of a pick 20ish.

More to the point, with the exception of guys who are staring down the barrel of moving interstate when they really don't want to, you don't become capable of being picked at #1 without a massive competitive streak (unless your name rhymes with Black Pots...), and it's pretty hard for guys like that to tank on the field (or even at draft camp).  They just tend not to be built that way.

Just do what Boyd did. Leave the club after the first year to your preferred club.

It’s simple since AFL contracts aren’t legally binding anymore…

Or just half-■■■■ it for a season like Anthony Rocca did for Sydney.

To answer the thread title question though, I wouldn't.

I'm not in peak condition, and I was always a bit over-rated anyway.

A #1 pick earns a LOT more money of the course of their draftee contract than even a guy drafted late in the first round.  Even assuming you only sign for your basic 2 year draftee contract, it could very easily be over $100k difference.(more, considering a #1 pick is more likely to get gifted early games than a #20, just ask KAV).  And #1 picks benefit from second chances that later picks don't - a club is much less likely to kick a #1 pick after a couple of years if they're not really performing and maybe playing up off the field, than they are to make an example of a pick 20ish.

More to the point, with the exception of guys who are staring down the barrel of moving interstate when they really don't want to, you don't become capable of being picked at #1 without a massive competitive streak (unless your name rhymes with Black Pots...), and it's pretty hard for guys like that to tank on the field (or even at draft camp).  They just tend not to be built that way.

Spot on. And realistically, who would want to recruit a kid who thinks deception is the way to go. You'd never be able to trust him yourself.

So,  you just say to the 17 other clubs dont bother picking me,  GAGF I dont like you ?

Did that work out for Wingard?  Did he want to go to Port?

We've all seen the picks from your younger days. You weren't over-rated.  :wub:  (no homo)

We've all seen the picks from your younger days. You weren't over-rated.  :wub:  (no homo)

Your avatar quote does this post no favours....

Your avatar quote does this post no favours....

Cricky that was added they day we were handed our governance punishment…  Thanks for the prompt...

Realistically,  how quickly will a no  1 draft pick get a game at AFL level,  assuming they are drafted by a cellar dweller.   Do they need only a preseason,  and in the team round 1 ,  or need to come up through the 2s as the would at a top club.

So,  you just say to the 17 other clubs dont bother picking me,  GAGF I dont like you ?

Yes it did, and yes he did.

Yes it did, and yes he did.

Well, to be precise, it was my understanding that he told anyone who interviewed him that he only wanted to live in Adelaide, and that if he was drafted interstate he'd probably go straight back to SA after his draftee contract finished.  Dunno if he wanted Port over the Crows, but that's how it was inevitably going to work out, cos he was right up the top of the talent pool in that draft and the Crows' pick was much later than Ports.

You could do this:

Magpies officials asked Dare how he would feel if he were drafted by the club, only for the teenager to respond with words to the effect of: "You either love Collingwood or hate Collingwood, and I barrack for Essendon, so you know where I sit."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nothing-average-about-joe-dare/story-e6frf9if-1225794832540

(This was from 2009, and unfortunately the kid ended up as a rookie at Fark Carlton and got delisted a couple of years later.)

Esteem issues.

■■■■ carlton.

Thanks guys you pretty much answered my question.

West Coast Eagles have hidden a couple in the last few years I reckon.