Why do we wear clothing?

You’ve never sharted before have you?

1 Like

@em

Think of all the extra money you would have for fine dining !

@em
Think of all the extra money you would have for fine dining !

I have enough money for both :)
1 Like

Some Blitzers, sadly, have trouble thinking deeply. I want a deep explanation of where our nudity shyness comes from. Someone? Anyone?

My theory is that our natural naked state does not resonate as well with this planet as other species. And that opens a whole other can of worms as to why that is. But anyway, therefore we cover our bodies up to keep warm or to keep from getting our skin all burned or to keep sand out of our butt cracks or our skin scratched on vegetation etc etc. Then when we get undressed we feel exposed, vulnerable if you like, in public. So being dressed is our natural state. And that is really weird. That's what I'm getting at.

My theory is that our natural naked state does not resonate as well with this planet as other species. And that opens a whole other can of worms as to why that is. But anyway, therefore we cover our bodies up to keep warm or to keep from getting our skin all burned or to keep sand out of our butt cracks etc etc. Then when we get undressed we feel exposed, vulnerable if you like, in public. So being dressed is our natural state. And that is really weird. That's what I'm getting at.

If you believe that, you‘re well indoctrinated.

As for it being illegal. Where does that come from? That's a whole different discussion. Or is it?

My theory is that our natural naked state does not resonate as well with this planet as other species. And that opens a whole other can of worms as to why that is. But anyway, therefore we cover our bodies up to keep warm or to keep from getting our skin all burned or to keep sand out of our butt cracks etc etc. Then when we get undressed we feel exposed, vulnerable if you like, in public. So being dressed is our natural state. And that is really weird. That's what I'm getting at.

If you believe that, you‘re well indoctrinated.

How so? Or do you just like making ridiculous claims without substance?

Some Blitzers, sadly, have trouble thinking deeply. I want a deep explanation of where our nudity shyness comes from. Someone? Anyone?

My theory is that our natural naked state does not resonate as well with this planet as other species. And that opens a whole other can of worms as to why that is. But anyway, therefore we cover our bodies up to keep warm or to keep from getting our skin all burned or to keep sand out of our butt cracks or our skin scratched on vegetation etc etc. Then when we get undressed we feel exposed, vulnerable if you like, in public. So being dressed is our natural state. And that is really weird. That's what I'm getting at.

I'd say a combination or factors, humans generally have spread everywhere and therefore instead of adapting our bodies to the local environment we have used our opposable thumbs to make clothes in order to survive, be it in heat or cold.

As for the uncomfortableness (is that a word?) of being naked, I havent developed a theory yet but I'm leaning towards blaming religion, they're big on guilt.

I'd say a combination or factors, humans generally have spread everywhere and therefore instead of adapting our bodies to the local environment we have used our opposable thumbs to make clothes in order to survive, be it in heat or cold.

As for the uncomfortableness (is that a word?) of being naked, I havent developed a theory yet but I'm leaning towards blaming religion, they're big on guilt.

I would have expected the human species to have adapted to all climates without the need of clothing as the other species did.

As for the religious thing, I can't imagine Richard Dawkins walking through Trafalgar square in the buff.  :) But you could be right, perhaps in ancient times it was a religious thing and perhaps the genetic memory of that attitude still exists in us.

They‘re big on shame.

Interesting topic,on a slightly different note we discussed at work the other day why are breasts,penises,vaginas and bums offensive yet noses,ears shins etc aren’t.we all have them.

Twould be because those areas of the body have been sexualised ^

Personally I reckon the lower half got covered up due to its “vulnerability” to attack. Sort of a means to hide it (in a way). Then with religion and the sex organs it lead to use covering up more and more to where we are now

Interesting topic,on a slightly different note we discussed at work the other day why are breasts,penises,vaginas and bums offensive yet noses,ears shins etc aren't.we all have them.

How is that on a different note? That's exactly the note - and the question is why?

Twould be because those areas of the body have been sexualised ^
Personally I reckon the lower half got covered up due to its "vulnerability" to attack. Sort of a means to hide it (in a way). Then with religion and the sex organs it lead to use covering up more and more to where we are now

Yes the body has been sexualised for sure but the vulnerability thing concerns me as there is a lack of consistency between us and the other species. Why don't they cover their tender bits? Could this have something to do with humans having a consciousness that the other species don't have? Could it be that we are part human (earthling) and part non human (elsewhere)?

Apart from the obvious practical reasons such as protection from the elements, it's primarily a cultural thing, largely brought on by the tendency of many organised religions to portray sexuality as a shameful and vulgar thing as a means of control and demonstrating devotion. And I'm not just talking about the direct influence of religions today. Many aspects of our culture have developed over centuries of indoctrination by organised religions, particularly back in the days when they were practically the ultimate authority in society. Once these things become culturally ingrained, they tend to stick for a long time, which is why even Richard Dawkins would probably have some reservations about walking down the street naked. Not all cultures have/had the same hang ups about nudity that we have, e.g. Ancient Greece.

It also gives people more control over how they are perceived by others. People can hide parts of themselves that they might be self-conscious about, and decorate themselves, often to indicate wealth or social status.

As far as I can tell the human species has always covered, or partly covered, themselves. I'm talking even before Abraham's time (the supposedly common ancestor of the Judeo/Christian/Islamic religions). My question then is, apart from religious considerations, why did we evolve differently from other species in that they didn't evolve the need or ability to cover up and we did?

It's culture. Partly from uptight religious sin labelling, partly fashion, partly shame about body image. It's about wanting to fit with everyone's expectations to get as much approval as possible. You approve of what you yourself would wear. And you have grown up mostly wearing clothes, and pretty much always doing so in public. What to you think of Matt Preston's cravat? You might actually like it, but most people will sneer and think he's a snob. Why? Because they think anything different from what they might wear is silly. Look at that bogan in his bali singlet and thongs. Look at that ■■■■■■ in his tight suit. That bloke in jeans and a decent shirt and blunnies - he looks like an OK kind of guy (you can probably picture me on a weekend now). See that bloke with the gut/woman with the cellulite thighs - what do people on average say - positive things or negative things?

I would have expected the human species to have adapted to all climates without the need of clothing as the other species did.

As for the religious thing, I can't imagine Richard Dawkins walking through Trafalgar square in the buff.  :) But you could be right, perhaps in ancient times it was a religious thing and perhaps the genetic memory of that attitude still exists in us.

The thing is, most other species don't adapt to all climates. Most species have their distributions limited to a relatively narrow set of environmental conditions, and often when those conditions change, species go extinct. Many highly generalistic species do obviously exist, but most aren't

Also, even generalists tend to have to limit their periods of activity based on their environment. Our prehistoric ancestors back in Africa might have gotten around without clothes on, but they were probably limited to short periods around dawn and dusk and forced to seek shelter during the hot days and the cold nights. This would have become even more pronounced as they moved north into Europe, if not for their ability to put on a piece of fur and walk out into the rain. Much of our success as a species has risen from our ability to insulate ourselves from our environment, overcoming many of the limitations that it places on most other species, and allowing us more time to do other things.

Yes suspect that but for our ability to make clothes we might have been more limited to tropical/ warm temperate areas, leaving cold areas to seals an bears etc...

But then those cultural factors come into play, Kozza - we don't generally all go out nude to the city when it's 28 Deg on a summer night.